Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Top prototype photo here. Black or grey?

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/j36-class-and-all-the-latest-samples

Bottom photo. Black, grey or blue?

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php

As I was saying it depends on colour perception and conditions. It certainly doesn't look like it did when painted BR Black. It's a different shade.

Jason

It was black (not grey/blue/pink with yellow spots, orange etc.) The whole lot was painted with T&R Williamson's Black enamel - about as black as black is - it is a bit of a fantasy to think otherwise.  The whole lot  inc the smokebox, and the Tender was painted with the same paint.  What does make the difference in appearance is the level of gloss (which is where I'd have preferred the model to have been better) Maude was relatively freshly painted and was cleaned after every outing so changed little over that first few years of its restoration.  Every time it was taken out on the main line especially it would come back with soot deposits on the top of the smokebox and boiler - typical of any soot lining the tubes getting carried out with the blast from the chimney when the regulator was opened up.

Anyway, how much more or less black do you want? Hornby did a fine job of the model and certainly fits with my first hand experience of it, albeit 40 years on.

Maude4.jpg.048e915064a3bbbfb02a31714154a2b8.jpg

Carlisle Upperby 1980 - © Bob Reid 

I really should have got that dustcoat taken up a bit :)

Bob.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

And here's the tender the previous night - and it's still err..... Black

Maude1.jpg.a2e24f92b6a73a92d6a13375103f9057.jpg
Carlisle Upperby 1980 - © Bob Reid

Bob

[Edit] p.s. that's not a brown tinge, but just my poor 40 year-old photo and post-processing after it was scanned.

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/03/2019 at 22:53, Bon Accord said:

Regarding authentic consists for Maude, circa 2000 when by then in BR (early crest) livery she attended a Polmadie open day with 80105 and 419 - all three travelled by rail (hauled) to the event. On the evening of the last day after the punters had gone home, as much for a bit of fun as necessity, Maude was used for shunting the depot area which included some Virgin liveried loco hauled Mark 3s!

419 never made it as it failed. It also went with the two Cally coaches , railtour MK1s(99872,35185) +27001

Edited by ajwffc
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2019 at 18:12, Bob Reid said:

[Edit] p.s. that's not a brown tinge, but just my poor 40 year-old photo and post-processing after it was scanned.

Only the tank side has a brown tinge, not the chassis. Could it be down to the varnish used? Or is it a trick of the light?

It's not brown at all... There's no varnish, it was modern synthetic Black enamel even in the late 70s when first painted.  Any tinge no matter where you think it is, is down purely to the 40 year old photo it was scanned from.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

It's not brown at all... There's no varnish, it was modern synthetic Black enamel even in the late 70s when first painted.  Any tinge no matter where you think it is, is down purely to the 40 year old photo it was scanned from.

Bob

I don't half admire your patience, Bob... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I don't half admire your patience, Bob... 

Patience? what patience - my god not another age infliction I'll have to go the Doc about :)

The old colour perception thing of course comes in to play - what it really was 40 years ago doesn't always square with what we think we remember 40 years on, but you have to add in the problem of the original source.  This was a then newish Olympus OM10 and using Kodak 100ASA film which in reality wasn't really suitable for an early evening shot in the p'ing rain with an overcast sky.  Still, with good old Photoshop (cc) you can make a decent stab at correcting it.   This is what the scanner gave me from a print ; 

4_031b.jpg.4cff5275b2217a5b0dd2a6b395b03505.jpg

which is as dark and dank looking as it was....

Scanning from a negative with no deterioration is usually better but doesn't always work for some odd reason and on this one gave me nothing but noise with the amount of lightening and cleaning up that was needed.

NEGS18079.jpg.b58797f6a6b94fe60ef327504bbc3d6c.jpg

p.s. The ghostly black shadow across the buffer beam is some of the ash that was quickly doing its level best to burn the door....

Bob.

• Like 1

A couple of pics of my second J36, obtained at a very good price from Metro hobbies in Victoria.

J36_002.JPG.0d593019fa4e73fdb1a2bbb2f10c6d8c.JPGJ36_004.JPG.24012c64d6b444aa184e247c57fa1dee.JPG

The names/front number came from an old Modelmaster sheet 4007A, which had a variety of Scottish loco. names. I'm not sure if this is still in production, but Jim G. might consider a re-run if there is sufficient demand. Cabsides and tender emblems from Fox,

I have toned down the red inside motion with Vallejo 'oil and grease', which looks much better, 'Haig' will get the same treatment!

The J36 is a beautiful model, a 'Glen' to keep it company would be sublime!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

"I have toned down the red inside motion with Vallejo 'oil and grease', which looks much better, 'Haig' will get the same treatment!"  Dioes anyone know where one can acquire this "grease and oil" paint in the UK?

• RMweb Premium

Here's mine, weathered using dry brushing and Railmatch roof dirt and frame dirt acrylics plus a bit of sand coloured chalk and a dab of rust and brake dust.

WP_20190530_21_37_58_Pro.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

17 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Mine runs very well with a standard Bachmann 8 pin if that helps

48 minutes ago, benachie said:

Mine runs very well with a Laisdcc 8 pin.

Alan

Thanks, as space is not an issue I have sent off for my default decoder, a Lenz Standard. It is for Maude as the current MRD offer was too tempting to ignore but given I do not have any other sound fitted locos and fundamentally the limited speed control in the TTS decoder, I decided to flog the TTS one; went in a matter of hours as a buy it now offer on ebay and knocking off fees etc effectively reduced the price of Maude to £92.18 taking postage into account. With regard to the colour I acknowledge it is black but depending on the light can look brown presumably due to reflections from the lettering and lining. When I lifted the encased model out of the box the reflections through the plastic wrap made it look brown - at the time it was coincidently resting on a black head cap.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:07, coronach said:

Here's mine, weathered using dry brushing and Railmatch roof dirt and frame dirt acrylics plus a bit of sand coloured chalk and a dab of rust and brake dust.

WP_20190530_21_37_58_Pro.jpg

That's a fine bit of weathering there. Working, but not overdone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Interesting view of the rear of a J36 tender here: 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/st.boswells/index34.shtml

The lesser-spotted rear steps below the valance I was aware of, but have never seen the steps on the tender back. 

Photographic evidence suggests they were usually fitted to locos with tender cabs (as here) to enable crew access to the tender top for water filling, shovelling coal forward, etc.

Alasdair

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AJCT said:

Photographic evidence suggests they were usually fitted to locos with tender cabs (as here) to enable crew access to the tender top for water filling, shovelling coal forward, etc.

Alasdair

Ah, yes, that makes sense. I suppose 65224 (rear steps 31/07/55) could have had its cab removed. 

Edited by Daddyman

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I put the finishing touches to my ROD "Haig". For the moment I've keep the name on the splasher, but might remove it at a later date. Work has included, removing the BR Early Emblem and running number, adding the her ROD number and builders plate, painting the buffer beams black and fitting Wheeltapper Digital Sound. 

Here's a couple of pics of her on a test run, at the head of a short supply trains. 

IMG_20190625_142637-01.jpeg.438543c49072dcb6e4bcf5528c73d9b4.jpegIMG_20190625_142739-01.jpeg.73286fbeb929515809751a94ceee443b.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the Hornby J36 Class 0-6-0, "Haig" in Railway Operating Division Livery, fitted with Wheeltappers Digital Sound.
The model has be fitted with a ESU LokSound V5 Sound Decoder, with Sugar Cube Speaker. 
Here we see the ROD 5650 on a quick test run, backing onto short supply train, before heading off to the front. 
Sound List;
F0 Lights On/Off. (If fitted)
F1 Sound On/Off. (Fade Sound while Driving)
F2 Whistle 1
F3 Whistle 2
F4 Uncoupling Sounds / Buffer Clash
F5 Loco Active Brake Application (CV179 Increases/Decreases Brake Application)
F6 Wheel Slip (Not on all Projects).  
F7 Injector.  (Latching)
F8 Automatic Uncoupling.  
F9 Flange Squeal (Speed Dependant)
F10 Despatch Whistle.
F11 Wagon Buffer Clash & Starting/Stopping noises.
F12 Coal Shovelling On/Off. (Latching + Aux 1 Firebox Glow)
F13 Tender Water Filling.  (Latching)
F14 Safety Valves. (Latching)
F15 Cylinder Drain Cocks On/Off (Works at Low Speed).
F16 Heavy Load Starting Mode. (Latching)
F17 Shunting Mode. (Switch between Light & Heavy chuffs)
F18 Detonators. (Alternate)

Hope you enjoy!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So TTS Fitted Maude is not programmed to work on DC. I don't have a DCC controller.

Is there a source of 8-pin blanking plates? Everyone seems to be out of the Bachmann pack.

I seem to recall when Bachmann sell DCC fitted locos they supply a blanking plate. Why can't Hornby do the same, especially if they program their chips not to work on DC.

I currently have a loco I can't use unless I rob parts from another loco!

• 3 months later...

Can anyone give details/picture of the works plate on the front splasher. I would like to fit an etched one, Narrow Planet do the cabside number plate and an NBR works plate but I can't tell how accurate the etch is compared to the real think, ie works number build date.