Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Next question.

The intention is to run Maude in North British days. I know that I need to source a Westinghouse pump, but what about the livery?

She went to war in plain black, but when she came back was the lining out restored before the North British became part of the LNE? ie; is the combination of lining and name [before preservation] correct, or do I need to wipe the name?

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Perhaps a silly question, admitting my ignorance of electrical things at the outset.

Logging on to Hattons Pre-owned the other night, what should I espy but Maude, converted to analog and a bargain price.

Arrived an hour ago, looks great and runs nicely, but...

The polarity has been reversed, ie; sitting in front of my layout , I switch my trusty Gaugemaster to the right and the loco under control moves to the right, switch it to the left and the loco runs to the left. Simple, except Maude does the opposite. Its not a real problem, I just need to rember its Maude when I'm running it, but is there a quick and easy fix for for the electrically illiterate that doesn't require soldering or anything clever like that?

Has it actually had the decoder removed and replaced with a blanking plug or did the previous owner just enable DC running on the decoder and managed to reverse the direction in the process?

On 18/11/2020 at 17:31, Caledonian said:

Next question.

The intention is to run Maude in North British days. I know that I need to source a Westinghouse pump, but what about the livery?

She went to war in plain black, but when she came back was the lining out restored before the North British became part of the LNE? ie; is the combination of lining and name [before preservation] correct, or do I need to wipe the name?

To answer my own question: all North British locos were in bronze green with very heavy multi-coloured lining until 1914. Then came a black livery for goods locos with a double yellow lining [per Hornby's "Maude"] but due to austerity the lining was discontinued in 1919, so no, the combination of name and lining is preservation only,

A cocktail stick seems called for

Peter's Spares have the Markits Westinghouse pumps.  But where can I find a drawing showing where the pipes in and out of the pump went to/came from?  I've just acquired an H0 Robinson ROD loco sans Westinghouse and would like to know where to fit all the piping.

16 hours ago, 1ngram said:

Peter's Spares have the Markits Westinghouse pumps.  But where can I find a drawing showing where the pipes in and out of the pump went to/came from?  I've just acquired an H0 Robinson ROD loco sans Westinghouse and would like to know where to fit all the piping.

Can't help you on the drawings I'm afraid, never seen such a thing, just photies. However this blog post by Dave John might be of some help generally wuth the conversion

On 20/11/2020 at 07:43, Daddyman said:

Today Hatton's are selling the pariah lined LNER one for £104 second hand (sic), when it's often £89 or below new...  

"pariah lined LNER one" ?

[not seen it for less than £100 for a long time :(]

• 4 months later...

Hi All.

Anybody know when the J36 ROD liveried version  R3735 and early BR R3734 are coming out.

The Hornby website under the coming soon section lists them in December 2021, but when you look at the details on there it says Winter 20/21, which is just about up by my reckoning.

There are quite a few other locos also in the December section showing Winter 20/21.

I think that these were announced last year, or was it the year before. They look like becoming another blue Merchant Navy.

All the best

Ray

On 29/03/2021 at 10:57, wainwright1 said:

Hi All.

Anybody know when the J36 ROD liveried version  R3735 and early BR R3734 are coming out.

The Hornby website under the coming soon section lists them in December 2021, but when you look at the details on there it says Winter 20/21, which is just about up by my reckoning.

There are quite a few other locos also in the December section showing Winter 20/21.

I think that these were announced last year, or was it the year before. They look like becoming another blue Merchant Navy.

All the best

Ray

No, they do indeed seem more than a touch overdue. Mind you, although I' far from convinced about the khaki paint job I have a suspicion that if it was lined out it might pass for the pre-1914 livery

2 hours ago, Caledonian said:

No, they do indeed seem more than a touch overdue. Mind you, although I' far from convinced about the khaki paint job I have a suspicion that if it was lined out it might pass for the pre-1914 livery

The ROD one does have a footnote saying the livery is likely to change. I think that it will be black.

All the best

Ray

22 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

The ROD one does have a footnote saying the livery is likely to change. I think that it will be black.

All the best

Ray

Ha !  and quite right too.

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

Weren't they both 2019 announcements?

There is a pull-push H Class in BR early logo livery announced about the same time that I have been waiting for to complete my pull-push set, which has also gone back to Winter 2023.

This starting to get as bad as Bachmann.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

Three years after the first batch came out and still there has been no LNER livery except the very early and shortlived "L&NER" lined black, and no BR late crest.  I'd been hoping we might see some more mainstream liveries for the J36 in the 2022 announcement, but if the 2019 announcement's aren't expected until 2023 then the prospects don't look great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 64F said:

Three years after the first batch came out and still there has been no LNER livery except the very early and shortlived "L&NER" lined black, and no BR late crest.  I'd been hoping we might see some more mainstream liveries for the J36 in the 2022 announcement, but if the 2019 announcement's aren't expected until 2023 then the prospects don't look great.

Maybe the J36  will become the next 'Clan' - wont appear again for 10 years and will then be 'new' in the 2031 catalogue in LNER apple green (to include footplate and cab roof  'because there is no definitive evidence to proof they should be black ;))

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

People do realise we are still in a two year world wide pandemic where the country that was the worst hit was China?

Not sure I agree with that.

With 98k cases, China rates as 113th place in the world, according to worldometer.

peanuts to our 4th place ranking with nearly 10mn.

We have more cases every 2 days than China has in the whole pandemic.

The thing theyve been hit with is big orders for medical products, supply chain disruption, but the pandemic has been very lucrative for them and theyve shifted production and resources to meet it.

anyways theres a whole other thread about that.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 months later...

In place of whinging about Hornby, praise for them. I returned a J36 TTS Chip (which refused to work/respond at all after re-addressing, or after doing a factory reset). I expected a reblow/firmware update. But they sent me a brand new retail boxed chip (RRP£50). I should note that technically the model was out of warranty, although I had only been using the chip itself for a few months since purchasing a DCC controller..

So well done and thank you Hornby (both for acknowledging the fundamental fault with the chip, replacing technically outside warranty, and giving me a full-retail replacement). Now why can't you always be as responsive and engaged....!

Hornby at its best in customer service (aside from the error with the original chip!)

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

While we wait on the latest two catalogue releases of the J36, I wonder if we might ever see this niche livery covered in RTR form?

One of the LNER versions transformed into Apple Green as No. 5330 by myself, a livery only worn by it and No. 5211 but did see both LNER and British Railways insignia while wearing this paint.

FB_IMG_1655133422150.jpg

Edited by JonathonAG
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, JonathonAG said:

While we wait on the latest two catalogue releases of the J36, I wonder if we might ever see this niche livery covered in RTR form?

One of the LNER versions transformed into Apple Green as No. 5330 by myself, a livery only worn by it and No. 5211 but did see both LNER and British Railways insignia while wearing this paint.

FB_IMG_1655133422150.jpg

Never knew they got green . I know the Hornby proposed model of 1980 was green (it got cancelled for the APT instead) but thought that was just Hornby painting one up . There is also a run of the mill black LNER one to be done as opposed to the L&NER we had in the first batch . I ended up buying Maude and BR one . Superb little engines . I had hoped it would encourage Hornby to make more Scottish locos , but the J36 appeared during Simon Kohlers "sabbatical" and hes now back ! 

6 hours ago, Legend said:

I ended up buying Maude and BR one . Superb little engines . I had hoped it would encourage Hornby to make more Scottish locos, but the J36 appeared during Simon Kohlers "sabbatical" and he's now back ! 

Likewise Maude and two [!] L&NER ones... in retrospect, a wise move

• Like 1