Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Ah yes... 65288 with the mismatched front buffers !

Alasdair

Oh b****r!..thats that hit on the head then.

Funny how you don't see these things until pointed out.

I have decided that my model will need to be vac braked to allow occasional local passenger so need to add the external pipe under the lhs running plate as simply sticking the vac pipe on

the bufferbeam is not enough.

Haig had vac brakes and therefore the external pipe as did Maude in preserved form but its not on the model.

An obvious omission but easily added and will give it some extra character.

Haig also had a tender cab in its later BR days although I suspect these were often temporary additions that could be added quickly as Scottish sheds seemed to have many J36s so fitted

and which ranged from very simple weather boards to quite substantial.

The former type possibly knocked up by the shed joiner although I may be wrong. 

Choosing an example is not proving quite as straightforward as I thought and as ever a photograph is the key.

Dave. 

Edited by vitalspark

• RMweb Premium

I have decided that my model will need to be vac braked to allow occasional local passenger so need to add the external pipe under the lhs running plate as simply sticking the vac pipe on

the bufferbeam is not enough.

Haig had vac brakes and therefore the external pipe as did Maude in preserved form but its not on the model.

An obvious omission but easily added and will give it some extra character.

Are you sure? It seems to be there in the photo at post #217 above, complete with run under the buffer beam.

Well done Hornby for the J36. Looks fabulous and so far just test run it - runs beautifully. Will be interesting to see it when I've finished it as Dundee's 65319 alongside my GEM/Eastfield kit version (65253). Currently fettling a card mock-up of tender cab although "cab" is a bit of an overstatement in the case of 65319 - more a weather board as my friend Mr Spark has commented.

I have a few pics of 65319 but none showing all that I need. A couple of questions if anyone can help. It would seem the toolbox on the tender was removed on 65319 to accommodate the “cab” - is that correct? .... and how was the tender handbrake accommodated on the fireman’s side as it would seem the positioning of the tender cab would have prevented the turning of the handle?

And yes, Davy, will be fitting the vac pipe along the running plate!

post-17610-0-55163000-1546050890_thumb.jpg

Edited by 60159
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This must be a contender for best loco of the year surely, it oozes quality and runs superbly.

Currently running mine in. Only fault I found was that according to the diagram the tender drawbar was fitted wrong way round. Easily corrected of course. Fitted the right way round on what Hornby call the 'display position' the drawbar is tight against the loco chassis but the tender can still move freely. In this position I am finding the loco will still negotiate Peco medium points (30'' radius?) at sensible speeds without problems. 

Fingers crossed Hornby announce a J27 on the 7th :)

• Like 2

... the tender drawbar was fitted wrong way round. Easily corrected of course. Fitted the right way round on what Hornby call the 'display position' the drawbar is tight against the loco chassis but the tender can still move freely. In this position I am finding the loco will still negotiate Peco medium points (30'' radius?) at sensible speeds without problems...

Not yet having seen this model, but on the basis of the J15 and a couple of other near contemporary releases: I wasn't happy with one aspect of the design in respect of the drawbar. It's an etched item with a fairly sharp edge. At the display position, locos and tenders were commendably close (and would still operate on my 30" minimum radius layout) but a moving edge of the drawbar was in contact with the wire bundle. Anticipating that with operation it might saw through the wire insulation, I have either replaced the drawbar or very thoroughly rounded and smoothed off, as best suited the models concerned. Worth checking on this model, unless it is obviously clear of any such potential for future trouble.

Mr Spark, I have checked my model (prompted by Flying Pig) - the vac pipe along the running plate and under the front buffer beam is indeed there. Did you ever find your specs that you lost at the Perth MRS a while back? !!!

• Like 1

Mr Spark, I have checked my model (prompted by Flying Pig) - the vac pipe along the running plate and under the front buffer beam is indeed there. Did you ever find your specs that you lost at the Perth MRS a while back? !!!

Blimey..so it is!

Yes you are right I do need to replace these specs.

In saying on the model its very subtle whereas the pipe on the real thing was pretty obvious so still might replace.

I'll see how it looks when picked out with a bit of weathering.

post-2371-0-91582400-1546220361_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-87834500-1546220382_thumb.jpg

Happy NewYear to all.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Blimey..so it is!

Yes you are right I do need to replace these specs.

In saying on the model its very subtle whereas the pipe on the real thing was pretty obvious so still might replace.

I'll see how it looks when picked out with a bit of weathering.

attachicon.gifIMG_2950.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2953-1.jpg

Happy NewYear to all.

Dave.

I measured the pipe on Maude and seem to remember it scaling at 0.8mm. On the Hornby model, as far as I can tell (it's hard to get the vernier jaws in) it is also 0.8. It looks wrong, though, and I'm not sure why.  

Re the earlier query about tender cabs, you can just about see the cutout in the cab "side" to clear the handbrake in the third photo on this page: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php There are clearer shots in Yeadon. 

I'm also assuming the tool box was removed. 

Edited by Daddyman

I measured the pipe on Maude and seem to remember it scaling at 0.8mm. On the Hornby model, as far as I can tell (it's hard to get the vernier jaws in) it is also 0.8. It looks wrong, though, and I'm not sure why.  

Re the earlier query about tender cabs, you can just about see the cutout in the cab "side" to clear the handbrake in the third photo on this page: https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php There are clearer shots in Yeadon. 

When I built my J36 using the PDK kit I did some hunting for photographs of the tender cabs fitted to these locos and found pictures showing six different styles!

You're right the pipe is actually correct.

I have applied a little weathering to it prior to replacing and its lifted it and now looks bang on.

Number change next then it will get the full treatment.

Dave.

post-2371-0-72402900-1546270005_thumb.jpg

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is my solution: 

0.8 capillary tube from Eileen's, with the distinctive "thicker" angle represented with 0.9 tube (which is bent to a right angle by filing a groove with a triangular file at the back of the "knee"). The .45 wire threaded through both keeps them together. 

post-708-0-83800100-1546279260_thumb.jpg

The finished result, with some attachment straps made from 0.6mm x 2 thou (4 thou? - can't remember) copper strip from Hobby Holidays. 

post-708-0-53143500-1546279276_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Excellent weathering and hopefully mine will look similar.

One comment though..are the fire irons not usually on the firemans side of the tender?

Nice job.

Dave.

Good point . I wondered how long it would take you to spot that lol.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tender cab here. I made this a couple of years ago and am no longer sure what my evidence was for the two straps on the roof, or for the extending the roof as far as I did - I wonder now if it shouldn't stop level with the sides, and the rest be canvas sheet. 

EDIT: I should point out this model will be renumbered to a Hawick loco, 65316. It won't end up as Haig. 

post-708-0-66731700-1546292677_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-20802500-1546292689_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-96539500-1546292703_thumb.jpg

post-708-0-01081500-1546292720_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 8

Oh b****r!..thats that hit on the head then.

Funny how you don't see these things until pointed out.

Dave. 

Never fear about the mismatched buffers Dave, Lanarkshire Models can come to your rescue, Three NB buffers and one Caley buffer with a 16'' head, it would make a good talking point and then you can thrust the photo in the complainer's face.

post-10324-0-43904600-1546341853.jpg

To be honest I think the NB buffers need upgrading anyway.

post-10324-0-49569900-1546341875.jpg

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk

Found these in my photo collection - 65211 at Parkhead 65C shed in Glasgow - with Blue traiin in the background.  

65217 at Kipps Shed.

And an another variant 65285 with the cut down chimney.  Who dares to be that brutal with their model?

And close up of French painted name.

Cheers AM 

post-1767-0-63434700-1546344491_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-38809100-1546344505_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-89576400-1546344518_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-97799200-1546344527_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Never fear about the mismatched buffers Dave, Lanarkshire Models can come to your rescue

attachicon.gifLB10 Caledonian standard loco, buffer 16'' LMS head..jpg

To be honest I think the NB buffers need upgrading anyway.

attachicon.gifLB14 North British loco buffer.jpg

All the best,

Dave Franks.

You have never lost the ability to spot a sales opening..not since your days of selling double glazing!

A very happy new year too you and your missus Dave.

D.

I really want one so I hope a BR late crested version appears in the 2019 range

Locos like the J36 that didn't rack up huge mileages and stayed away from the works carried the small crest well into the 60s so I wouldn't be too concerned there.

As example the only D11 to carry the late crest was outlived by members still with the early crest!

Dave.

Found these in my photo collection - 65211 at Parkhead 65C shed in Glasgow - with Blue traiin in the background.  

65217 at Kipps Shed.

And an another variant 65285 with the cut down chimney.  Who dares to be that brutal with their model?

And close up of French painted name.

Cheers AM

Those are superb pictures! Please dig further into your collection!

Locos like the J36 that didn't rack up huge mileages and stayed away from the works carried the small crest well into the 60s so I wouldn't be too concerned there.

As example the only D11 to carry the late crest was outlived by members still with the early crest!

Dave.

I would still expect one in the next batch.

Possibly a British Railways one as well, maybe even the BR green one. :)

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNER-Scotland/Holmes-Locomotives/Holmes-Tender-Engines/Holme-J36/Holmes-J36-/i-rtGW2Tv

Jason

• Like 2