Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

You have never lost the ability to spot a sales opening..not since your days of selling double glazing!

A very happy new year too you and your missus Dave.

D.

Only trying to help....

All the best to you and yours.

And,

'Lang may yer lumb reek'....

Dave.

• Like 1

I would still expect one in the next batch.

Possibly a British Railways one as well, maybe even the BR green one. :)

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNER-Scotland/Holmes-Locomotives/Holmes-Tender-Engines/Holme-J36/Holmes-J36-/i-rtGW2Tv

Jason

Didn't know one was painted green! That would be a strong seller, surely. 

Edited by NXEA!

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know one was painted green! That would be a strong seller, surely.

Think maybe crosswires somewhere. As far as I know there was never a green one in BR, LNER or even NBR days. Happy to be proved wrong though

Think maybe crosswires somewhere. As far as I know there was never a green one in BR, LNER or even NBR days. Happy to be proved wrong though

Look in the link I posted.

There is also a colour photo about of it somewhere. 65330 is definitely BR Apple Green. I think there were others as well as a J83 in similar livery.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Look in the link I posted.

There is also a colour photo about of it somewhere. 65330 is definitely BR Apple Green. I think there were others as well as a J83 in similar livery.

Jason

Wow Cheers Jason. You learn something new everyday! I only ever thought there were black ones! Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Don't count on a green one being produced!

Only two received LNER Apple Green in 1946. One lasted until 1948 before being painted black and the other until 1951.

As Henry Ford said "You can have any colour you want so long as it is black"

Only two received LNER Apple Green in 1946. One lasted until 1948 before being painted black and the other until 1951.

When Hornby initially proposed producing a J36 back in the early 80s, the pre production sample made was in apple green. There was photographs circulating online of it together with a proposed Hornby V2 model, can't find it just now however.

Edited by Bon Accord

They made a BR Apple Green L1 though. As well as B12, D16 and B1s.

I reckon it's more than likely they'll make a green one. Possibly one of the reasons they went for a J36 as opposed to dozens of other 0-6-0s.

Jason

Another 'WOW; vote from me here in Oz!

65311 arrived today, thank you Rails, who honoured their pre-order price. A beautiful little model, i've  hankered after one since Gem bought out their kit. Quite how it fits into an East Midlands setting in the 1950-60s I have yet to work out, but I have started two LGW peak roof vans from ancient Kirk kits to keep it company.

Hornby have really provided some excellent 0.6.0 types, the J15, 700 and now the J36. A 'Glen' on Monday would be the icing on the (Scottish) cake!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

Cant get a J36 to East Midlands but 2 did make it to the Malton area during WW2.

Didn't Maude go to Rainhill Anniversary bash under her own steam? A unique achievement if I recall correctly.

I think everything went by rail as there wasn't road access. Most of it in steam, including Lion. It's just that Maude travelled a long distance.

Jason

Cant get a J36 to East Midlands but 2 did make it to the Malton area during WW2.

Didn't Maude go to Rainhill Anniversary bash under her own steam? A unique achievement if I recall correctly.

Wonder which route the ones that went to France took?  The obvious route would have been down the ECML across London and then to Dover

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Wonder which route the ones that went to France took?  The obvious route would have been down the ECML across London and then to Dover

Jim

Jim, it is likely that they would have travelled out to the Western Front from Richborough Port, however I haven't been able to confirm this (as yet).

Best wishes,

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

When Hornby initially proposed producing a J36 back in the early 80s, the pre production sample made was in apple green. There was photographs circulating online of it together with a proposed Hornby V2 model, can't find it just now however.

Just looked this up in Pat Hammons book . Originally devised to take over from the Midland 3F whose tooling was worn out , one of 5 new locos approved for introduction in 1980. Unfortunately it got deleted in 1978. It was going to be produced in apple green as 5211(I always thought that was Hornby exercising a bit of license, after all they gave us red Jinties) .  To some extent I'm glad it was never produced as it definitely lacks the finesse of the one just introduced! On the other hand we'd have received one 37 years earlier!

• Like 1

Just looked this up in Pat Hammons book . Originally devised to take over from the Midland 3F whose tooling was worn out , one of 5 new locos approved for introduction in 1980. Unfortunately it got deleted in 1978. It was going to be produced in apple green as 5211(I always thought that was Hornby exercising a bit of license, after all they gave us red Jinties) .  To some extent I'm glad it was never produced as it definitely lacks the finesse of the one just introduced! On the other hand we'd have received one 37 years earlier!

I believe that they saw the stuff that Mainline and Airfix were making and changed their minds. This was the time they were making monstrosities such as Sir Dinadan.

The new models they released soon after were much better. B17, D49, etc.

The red Jinty was proper though. It was based on the preserved example. 

https://www.semaphoresandsteam.com/p422252165/h51F56934#h51f56934

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately by circa 1975 GEM, to the delight of a great many of us modelling the local scene, produced their J36 kit which was far superior to that proposed by Hornby. When one of the more well connected local modellers managed to obtain a photo of the Hornby offering we were, all to a man, not impressed, with the view expressed that it was more like a toy.

Although as you write, it is now 37 years later, but we now have a model produced by Hornby which is just that - a quite superb model. Hopefully they will now follow GEM's lead from these great kit producing days in the 70s and produce both a Glen and a Scott which can be done with the appropriate planning/tooling. - Plus a couple of N.B.R. coaches as well which could still be seen in secondary passenger work in the 50s.   

The worrying feature of all of this is the proverbial question - where has the time gone?

• Like 6

I think everything went by rail as there wasn't road access. Most of it in steam, including Lion. It's just that Maude travelled a long distance.

Jason

Most might have been in light steam, but Maude managed to travel with the two Caley coaches in both directions without at some point (if I'm remembering correctly)! an accompanying diesel loco - entirely under its own steam, much to the chagrin of a few of the other preservation groups at the time.   There was road access to Bold Colliery where all the loco's were stabled however these were the days when moving stuff by road when it was both fit and could run on rails was a non starter.

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

Most might have been in light steam, but Maude managed to travel with the two Caley coaches in both directions without at some point (if I'm remembering correctly)! an accompanying diesel loco - entirely under its own steam, much to the chagrin of a few of the other preservation groups at the time.   There was road access to Bold Colliery where all the loco's were stabled however these were the days when moving stuff by road when it was both fit and could run on rails was a non starter.

There’s a photographers story of it here..

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/maude.htm