Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

I've pre-ordered my LNER example, although I realise it represents a loco in very early LNER days with original NBR number, "L & NER" lettering and red lining.

For now, I'll overlook the fact that this livery combination might not have existed by the time the D49s first entered service in 1927 (I own Hornby's "Cheshire")

Nevertheless I'm hoping that a D34 "Glen" using the tender (and other parts) becomes available a few years down the road.

Lining would have lasted until next overhaul or even longer. The numbers on the cab would /may have been done earlier , photos is the best way of confirming.

Seems strange that they chose "Haig" which wasn't named until 1955, almost at the end of early crest livery.

Alan

According to LNER Forum, Haig was a unofficial naming in 1955 as the original Loco had been scrapped in early BR days, so a even stranger choice.

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.php

Perhaps a decision made due to end of WW1 this year, as he was the British commanding officer. Would have better used on the LNER version , of which, why didn't they name that version ?. Names sell !!  IMHO.

..and for the MiM don't forget Maude was on the Bluebell for a brief spell....

Backdate a few decades, I remember Maude and two period coaches arriving at Manchester Victoria in 1980, whilst class 25 and 40's worked passed on their usual duties.

She had traveled from Falkirk without diesel pilot all the way.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another email this afternoon - now July!

Jim

Rails now have the NB one marginally cheaper at £127 + £4 postage. So for the first time ever I’ve pre ordered a new release to celebrate the fact we’ve finally got a Scottish loco. Going to have to take the sound and chip out when it arrives (another first) but I really wanted the NB one. May be back for an LNER one @ £107.

Backdate a few decades, I remember Maude and two period coaches arriving at Manchester Victoria in 1980, whilst class 25 and 40's worked passed on their usual duties.

She had traveled from Falkirk without diesel pilot all the way.

Mike Wiltshire

On it's way to Rainhill with the two caley coaches - I was on the coaches (along with at least one other on here) but to be honest I can't remember Manchester Victoria!

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Bruce/D400 for the link to the early productions photos on Hattons Facebook pages, at post 7 above. It is lovely to see that the J36 is so far advanced towards production.

I wasn't expecting to see metal footplate, boiler and cab (except the roof) - this model is the full works! If you look closely, there is a clever interlocking arrangement for the joint between footplate and boiler There should certainly ne plenty of weight for hauling. The tender looks exquisite, especially those coal rails.

Lots of contented modellers, I think!

John Storey

I think that i may not be the first to say this somehow but will say it anyway....about bloody time. Its typical though i have just not long finished one j36, and, got the parts for another one and Hornby announce one....oh well it will save me making another one. I know that Hornby wont be doing all the versions in one go but im wondering if they will be doing the different tender cabs. I know that not all loco’s had them but they certainly give them a different look, ugly or not...

post-10572-0-88624900-1515455684_thumb.png

post-10572-0-06172100-1515455727_thumb.png

Gary

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have pre-ordered my 65311, I don't think they were ever seen in the E. Midlands, but they are a very attractive loco. and I offer my support in the hope of a 'Glen' next!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I've got 4 on pre order already - my ancient GEM and Jamieson pair can now retire with dignity! As for the NER, don't go giving Hornby ideas until they've at least produced a J37.......

Can I suggest you only put them into storage,rather than retiring them compleatly......thinking in case of zinc rot !

First the North British next the Highland Railway. Maybe I'll switch ends of UK from Padstow to Thurso......

Is there anything worth making for the Highland? Certainly not RTR wise.

No class bigger than twenty examples. Very few locomotives lasted until the 1930s.

Only one locomotive preserved which would be extremely difficult to produce due to it's driving wheels. Nice but impractical.

A couple of nice looking 4-4-0s but they were heavily rebuilt (the Big and Small Bens) which meant the last one which was preserved was scrapped as it wasn't original.

Jason

• Like 1

Well, yes. Is some Edinburgher cocking a snook at the Caley enthusiasts who have been busily wishlisting an 812 for some time? 

This is of course Reid's rebuild of Holmes' Class C, from 1913 onwards. Along with the Bachmann new E1/J72, this is another RTR pre-Grouping engine that is frustratingly post-Edwardian!

No.673 rebuilt in Reid's form (larger boiler and windowed cab) in 1915, and named Maude 1919.  Hitherto assume painted plain black, but does anyone know when the lining was first applied?

A tad too modern for me then, but a welcome development nonetheless.

But not on the turntable when I visited.  Unfortunately it was rather hidden away in a dark corner of the "Station Hall", without any information or explanation about the engine, e.g. where it came from or what it's history is.  All a bit disappointing and a missed opportunity really at the time for both the NRM and the SRPS.

Look forward though to Hornby's model!  And to the real thing's restoration to operational condition.  Anyone wishing to support the latter can do so here:

https://www.bkrailway.co.uk/support-us/

...and at the NRM.....

No class bigger than twenty examples. Very few locomotives lasted until the 1930s.

Only one locomotive preserved which would be extremely difficult to produce due to it's driving wheels. Nice but impractical.

A couple of nice looking 4-4-0s but they were heavily rebuilt (the Big and Small Bens) which meant the last one which was preserved was scrapped as it wasn't original.

Jason

The last one went in 1957 but a good number lasted through the war and in to the early Fifties. They produced some attractive engines but  I do agree that it would be a struggle to justify producing anything commercially- perhaps we should send some pics of the Victorian locos to Jason at Rapido :boast: However, they were replaced to an extent on secondary duties by CR types, which would give an added marketing boost to models of these. Hopefully sometime soon.....

• Like 1

Jason

Jason

The Highland Railway had a few Adams Radials during the Great War and for a good few years after it, so there has been a model produced recently (x2) that is correct for the HR. I haven't seen any re-done as an HR one or any campaign or discussion for one to be produced. Both Hornby and Oxford staff appeared to be oblivious of the Adams Radials scottish exploits when speaking to them at events in Scotland, as such I find unlikely a RTR HR loco will be produced unless there is a major change in production techniques.

I'm really looking forward to the 70s-80s 'Maude', hopefully it will sell well and next up the Caley 812 and/or 439 will be produced.

Brian.

No.673 rebuilt in Reid's form (larger boiler and windowed cab) in 1915, and named Maude 1919.  Hitherto assume painted plain black, but does anyone know when the lining was first applied?

A tad too modern for me then, but a welcome development nonetheless.

The Hornby model of MAUDE depicts her as seen in the 70s/80s/90s. However, there were NBR freight locos in lined black post war as I've seen photographs of J37s so adorned.

I'm a member of the SRPS and at the time of her most recent restoration (1990 ish) there was talk of livery and from what I can remember the lined NB livery is accurate, however the fluted coupling rods as carried today are not.

Seems strange that they chose "Haig" which wasn't named until 1955, almost at the end of early crest livery.

Alan

In Scotland we had many small tanks and 0-6-0s carry early crests into the 60s.

Even the diesels missed the livery upgrades with some Class 20s in the North east without yellow warning panels mid 60s and Cravens DMUs sporting whiskers same period.

Dave. 

Edited by vitalspark

... from what I can remember the lined NB livery is accurate, however the fluted coupling rods as carried today are not.

65243 definitely carried fluted rods, at least at some times:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Scottish-and-BRSc/Scotland-NBR-1/i-xZKCKz8/0/18aa4693/XL/Sc_BR_65243_slide724-XL.jpg

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-EASTERN-REGION/TYPE-J-060-LOCOMOTIVES/i-4g4qJDB/

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

But I think the point being made is, not in NBR days, so fluted rods with late NBR goods livery would be anachronistic.

But I think the point being made is, not in NBR days, so fluted rods with late NBR goods livery would be anachronistic.

OK - I didn't realise it was the combination. 

The Highland Railway had a few Adams Radials during the Great War and for a good few years after it, so there has been a model produced recently (x2) that is correct for the HR. I haven't seen any re-done as an HR one or any campaign or discussion for one to be produced. Both Hornby and Oxford staff appeared to be oblivious of the Adams Radials scottish exploits when speaking to them at events in Scotland, as such I find unlikely a RTR HR loco will be produced unless there is a major change in production techniques.

I think the Adams Radials that worked on the Highland Railway would have remained in LSWR colours. It seems two were there from early 1918 till 1919, and two from early 1918 to 1921. The Highland couldn't keep up with the repairs needed to their own locomotives due to heavy wartime use - that was partly the reason locomotives from other companies were loaned to them. Even after the war ended, several HR locos were sent to outside companies for repair, rather than being repaired at Lochgorm Works. So I don't think the Highland would have been repainting other companies' locos there on short-term loans.

Here's a picture of one of the Radials in use on the Highland - http://www.fortroseandrosemarkiearchive.org/picture/number463.asp . There's a correction in the comments of the date shown in the caption. There is also a picture of one of them, coupled to a NER Fletcher 0-4-4-T 'light engine' at Blair Atholl in August 1921. The photographer assumed they were on their way back south to their original owners. In black and white photos, with no numbers or lettering obviously visible, it's hard to say what colour the locos are. 

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the coupling rods the locos were all fitted with plain ones when built and in the mid 1920s the fluted type began to be fitted over the following years. Not all class members were so fitted, some retaining their plain types until withdrawal.

For us modellers intending to change 65311's identity it's safer to get hold of photos of your intended loco!

Something which I noticed in the photo from the Hattons Facebook, at post number 7 here, is that the loco has the drop gate gear shown on its right hand side. It is not obvious as to which model it is intended for as there were only 10 locos fitted with them. (Neither Maude nor Haig were fitted with it)

The devil is in the detail! 

Edited by 60027Merlin

For us modellers intending to change 65311's identity it's safer to get hold of photos of your intended loco!

The devil is in the detail! 

May I expand your first line by adding  "at the appropriate date".

The type of braking systems are another detail that altered several times on some machines and can catch out the unwary.

As with the J15 a check on the cab fittings suiting the visible fittings needs to be carried out when the models arrive or detailed photographs are available.

As for the second line, very much so.

Bernard 

Maude wasn't equipped with Vacuum Brakes (Train) during it's BR years - they were added post preservation at Falkirk in the 70s whereas Haig had it in BR days - I would hazard a guess that's the reason for the choice of loco for the early-BR livery version.