Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

The bufferbeam snowplough fitted to at least one J36 (example 65217 "French" at 65E Kipps) was an asymmetrical pattern that I have not seen before,   The attached photograph show the pattern used

attachicon.giffrench and y9.jpg

Jim

Haggis-like, it's intended for mountain-side lines with the drop to port.

• Like 1

... coupling rods ... Is the joggle just behind the centre coupled axle something done on other 0-6-0s by Hornby?

Yes, and very good news it is too as it represents prototype practise. This is part of the joint between the rods for the leading pair and trailing pair,and  is normally found on the 6+ coupled types that have modern RTR models, and results in noticeably more free running mechanisms. Surprise exception, Heljan's O2 which has a rigid rod for the first three drivers, which lack of sophistication occasionally makes itself known by a slight jerk in motion after changing direction. 

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

My recollection from the late 50s and early 60s around the Edinburgh Suburban line and at Waverley Station is that J36s were invariably on goods trains. There are some references on here, and indeed photos, of the preserved Maude with Mk 1 coaches, but were J36s ever allocated to passenger services on a regular basis?

I'm sure some of us on here will be able to give us a run down (reasonably brief, please, not a complete listing!).

John Storey

From the trainspotting days in Edinburgh, the Lothians, Fife etc. during the 50s'/60s I remember the J36 class used on freight duties. Those fitted with vac pipes could also be used for passenger stock, the Carlisle allocation had a some so fitted. Whilst I cannot recall seeing a J36 on a passenger working I saw the occasional J35, J37 and J39 on passenger workings/empty stock movements. I recall seeing J39s occasionally at Saughton Junction on the Aberdeen line on local passenger work carrying workers at Rosyth Dockyard to and from Haymarket/ Waverley, (one of our neighbours who worked at the dockyard taking the train there every day in the working week) and the occasional vac fitted St. Margarets J37 on a passenger/empty stock turns on the Corstorphine Branch. 

There was plenty variety on the railway in those distant days so no doubt all sorts of occasional workings of a "semi official" type took place!

Hope that this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVMp_H7AMc

On it's way to Rainhill with the two caley coaches - I was on the coaches (along with at least one other on here) but to be honest I can't remember Manchester Victoria!

Go to 18 minutes. I am in there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPVMp_H7AMc

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby catalogue actually shows Maude as preserved hauling Mk1 carriages, probably on a railtour

I'm sure I've seen somewhere a J36 on suburban stock. I think I'll look up Glasgows Railways book as I have a feeling its in there. Maybe when the blue trains had to be removed from service and steam and old stock reinstated for a while

Here is 65331 at Hawick at the head of what seems to be a single coach - however the headlamp code suggests other than a passenger train, and the coach doesn't suggest Inspection Saloon.

(I'm sorry that I do not know the pedigree of the photo, and if it's yours then apologies (now correctly spelt!) for not seeking permission,and congratulations on a lovely photo,)

post-28511-0-74838500-1515682231_thumb.jpg

Edited by DugaldDalgetty
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here is 65331 at Hawick at the head of what seems to be a single coach - however the headlamp code suggests other than a passenger train, and the coach doesn't suggest Inspection Saloon.

(I'm sorry that I do not know the pedigree of the photo, and if it's yours then aplogies for not seeking permission,and congratulations on a lovely photo,)

It isn't a brake coach, either - possibly it was the station pilot?  Nice picture, anyway!

Interesting difference in the condition of the two carriages. The upper panels of the trailing one are a pure white whereas on the leading one they look creamier.

Both Caley coaches were in the condition they'd left St.Rollox and had yellowed quite badly though we did a fair bit of work on them - brake overhauls etc. as they were used regularly on Railtours. Possibly the one seen there has been part repainted (we'd a great painter at Falkirk by then) certainly it's nearer the original colour.

Hi

Just seen in the latest copy of Hornby Magazine details about the new J36, great news especially as I am modelling Haymarket 64B 1958 period two will defiantly be the order of the day.

I have just ordered the first one from Hattons, but have no idea when they will be available.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

(I'm sorry that I do not know the pedigree of the photo, and if it's yours then apologies (now correctly spelt!) for not seeking permission,and congratulations on a lovely photo,)

This loco and 65316 worked as station pilots and performed shunting duties at Hawick in the late 1950s going by various photographs and notes that I can find.

65316 was seen as far south as Carlisle on a two coach passenger train, presumably due to the failure of the normal machine.

It does open up the possibilities. Clue for a hunt for more unexpected duties and/or locations.

Bernard

• Like 1

There appears to be the Fireman or Guard walking alongside so I wouldn't be paying to much attention to the headlamp arrangement as it isn't obviously operating a service out on the mainline. J36s did seem to have a habit of appearing in unexpected places even after the end of steam in Scotland.

Two pictures in "Locomotives Illustrated 137 - North British Railway 0-6-0s, LNER Classes 'J31' to 'J37'" show J36s on passenger duty in LNER days. Both are dual-fitted engines. 9751 (BR number 65309) is leaving Perth on a Ladybank train in the early 1930s. 9763 (BR number 65321) is leaving Carlisle with an inspection saloon on the way to Silloth in the late 1920s. 

Two pictures in "Locomotives Illustrated 137 - North British Railway 0-6-0s, LNER Classes 'J31' to 'J37'" show J36s on passenger duty in LNER days. Both are dual-fitted engines. 9751 (BR number 65309) is leaving Perth on a Ladybank train in the early 1930s. 9763 (BR number 65321) is leaving Carlisle with an inspection saloon on the way to Silloth in the late 1920s. 

Had a quick scan through one Geo C. O'Hara book (still two to go) and the Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways last night and I has not turned up a J36 on passenger duty, J37s seem to have been preferred.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I note an interesting  comment on the Engine Shed Site = " As many combinations as possible have been included and we can confirm there will be snow plough and cab tender variants."

Could be an expensive year!

JIm

That’s next year I think Jim.

• Like 2

I note an interesting  comment on the Engine Shed Site = " As many combinations as possible have been included and we can confirm there will be snow plough and cab tender variants."

JIm

When I was building my PDK kit of a J36 I decided to model one with a tender cab; on looking at photos I found six different designs. 

Edited by JeremyC

JIm

The last photie in Brian J. Dickinson's Scottish Region 1948-1967 is of 65345 shunting coal at Seafield on 23 March 1967 with one of those asymetrical snow-ploughs and a tender cab

Edited by Caledonian

The bufferbeam snowplough fitted to at least one J36 (example 65217 "French" at 65E Kipps) was an asymmetrical pattern that I have not seen before,   The attached photograph show the pattern used

attachicon.giffrench and y9.jpg 

Jim

According to "Vanished Railways of West Lothian" this is a double line snowplough designed to deflect the snow way from the tracks.

Great book by Harry Knox for Lightmoor Press including many photos of J36 class locos. There are several of "Maude" in BR days without the name painted on the splasher.

• Like 1

I'm excited by this announcement.  I have been trying to convince myself to ease up on buying UK outline models which are display case pieces for me, but I'll be ordering a Maude from my usual supplier. 

The only thing that would have been an even easier decision would be a Caley 0-4-4 419, which was the first working steam locomotive I ever saw visiting my grandparents in Scotland in the 1980's. I keep thinking about looking into buying a Kit and building one of those, but I know the second I make that investment, an RTR one will be announced.

Good on the manufacturers for continuing to go outside the box with further flung prototypes.

Cheers,

Stephen

• Like 2