Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

Now that we've seen the J36 in decorated form in today's Engine Shed, do Hornby have two firsts with this model:

a. a snowplough included in the pack of a steam locomotive

b. a representation at the rear of the cab roof of the crew protective tarpaulin, for use on inclement days?

I'm impressed by the tender, which looks like a work of art in its own right.

John Storey

Oxford Dean goods has a snowplough

Hornbys old open cab Pannier had a tarp on the cab roof.

The coupling rods in the second and third pictures (left hand side of the engine) look rather unusual.

And where's the slacker pipe? (Only joking - it looks a lovely model.)

Quick question . I’ve got Maude NBR on order which for me unfortunately comes with TTS and DCC fitted. Does that mean it comes with a blanking plate in the accessory pack so I can remove them easily or do I need to buy a blanking plate?

“Past performance is not a guide to future performance.”

However, any loco I have bought with a sound decoder installed at the factory has come with a blanking plate. I am hoping that Rails might be persuaded to remove the TTS decoder and offer the loco at a slight discount. It’s been done before – someone who wants a TTS decoder in a loco not so equipped can have one and I’m not lumbered with one to discard.

Don't forget TMC's NER/LNER/BR G5 0-4-4T, which ran to Kelso, a noble Scottish town, and also Duns, calling at Reston. These may be outside your sphere of operation - they almost certainly are - but they are still in Scotland!

John Storey

Probably one for the G5 topic, but several G5s were also allocated to sheds in North East Scotland (Kittybrewster and Keith) in early BR days prior to withdrawal, so definitely in Scotland!

So between the J36, 812 and G5, my North East Scotland layout is going to get pretty busy :locomotive:good time to be a Scottish steam modeller!

• Like 2

What a stunning model. Can I resist? How far south did they get?

I have it on good authority that during the mid-late 1950s several were transferred temporarily to sheds in the East Midlands to deal with burgeoning tonnages of coal from Notts. pits served by the Eastern region.

Photographs and details are very rare, unfortunately.

Cheers from oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

I have it on good authority that during the mid-late 1950s several were transferred temporarily to sheds in the East Midlands to deal with burgeoning tonnages of coal from Notts. pits served by the Eastern region...

It's a good excuse if we close our eyes to the large heap of  O4, WD and 9F's found in that area at that time.

See, I am having one on my BR steam to diesel transition period KX inner suburban layout for the following excellent reasons:

It's a very pretty little 0-6-0 from an LNER constituent.

Practically every steam era layout can always use another 0-6-0.

This will be the fourth LNER group 0-6-0 to be produced RTR, something akin to a miracle.

Maybe if I buy LNER group 0-6-0s more RTR LNER group 0-6-0s will get produced, one each for GNR and NER as first priority.

• Like 1

What a stunning model. Can I resist? How far south did they get?

According to the LNER Encyclopedia..

"During World War 2, the J36s could often be found on main line goods work again. Two were also allocated to Malton for working pick-up goods duties to Driffield, Kirbymoorside, Thirsk, and Whitby. Another three were hauling local goods traffic in the Newcastle area from Borough Gardens shed"

Jim

Link to Engine Shed:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/lots-of-running-samples-and-new-releases?utm_campaign=2170518_Hornby%20-%20Engine%20Shed%20-%20Week%2020%202018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby%20PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,1AIS6,77PC37,4651L,1

A picture on ebay of a J36 fitted with a snowplough:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Negative-BR-British-Railways-Steam-Loco-Class-Black-45267-Bathgate-1965-3/362409297158?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52543%26meid%3D30db45a027de466f9cf82897d799c444%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D273396289354%26itm%3D362409297158&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Actually also another couple of the same engine from the same seller.  This one has the "point" offset to one side, whilst Hornby's "point" looks to be central?  No doubt different types existed!

The snowplough fitted to the model would be for single line ploughing, the offset plough would be for double track ploughing to ensure that the bulk of the snow went towards the cess instead of the 6 ft.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

That’ll explain the Bachmann Baldwin then, though the corporate blue 47, APT-E, Concorde, Harrier jump jet and Saturn V rocket are gonna require a bit more effort.

I don’t remember anything flying around that colliery in 1980 !!!

Though from this picture there is only 1 locomotive not now available in rtr..

https://heritagephotoarchive.co.uk/p699204531/h13D00855#h13d00855

The snowplough fitted to the model would be for single line ploughing, the offset plough would be for double track ploughing to ensure that the bulk of the snow went towards the cess instead of the 6 ft.

Jim

On the Engine Shed the photos seem to show the smokebox shedplate for the sample  65311 as 72A......62A possibly would be more accurate....early days I guess.

On the Engine Shed the photos seem to show the smokebox shedplate for the sample  65311 as 72A......62A possibly would be more accurate....early days I guess.

Should be the any of the following

64C Dalry Road 4w/e 19/05/1951 ALLOC 64A St Margarets 4w/e 01/11/1952 ALLOC 64E Polmont 4w/e 16/06/1956 ALLOC 65F Grangemouth 4w/e 10/08/1963 ALLOC 65F Grangemouth 5w/e 07/09/1963 ALLOC 65K Polmont 4w/e 09/11/1963

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Jim

Yes, Hornby's plough is hazy in its detail, but appears to be an attempt at representing the late LNER single-line plough. But the single-line plough, going by photographic evidence, was a very rare fitment to the class. The only photo I can find of a loco fitted with such a plough from a quick google is of 478, but it is a very different plough of NBR origin. And while someone will no doubt turn up a photo of a J36 with a single-line plough, this is not the most common one carried by the class - not by a long way. 

Yes, Hornby's plough is hazy in its detail, but appears to be an attempt at representing the late LNER single-line plough. But the single-line plough, going by photographic evidence, was a very rare fitment to the class. The only photo I can find of a loco fitted with such a plough from a quick google is of 478, but it is a very different plough of NBR origin. And while someone will no doubt turn up a photo of a J36 with a single-line plough, this is not the most common one carried by the class - not by a long way. 

Could be worse, at least they're not permanently affixing the damn thing.  

Speak of the very devil. Look what my google search turned up.

NBR-20x13cm-photo-NBR-478-with-snowploug

Edited by scots region
  • Like 4

Have you seen the pictures on eBay I gave a link for in post 156? Looks to be a single line plough?

And while someone will no doubt turn up a photo of a J36 with a single-line plough, this is not the most common one carried by the class - not by a long way.

Here you go: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/30/878/ . I admit it's not too clear that it's a single-line (symmetrical) plough, but there's a much clearer picture of this engine on the same duty in March 1963 in Trains Illustrated #21 "The North British Railway" and it's definitely carrying a single-line plough.

And another couple:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/62/408/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/29/430/

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Have you seen the pictures on eBay I gave a link for in post 156? Looks to be a single line plough?

All three on there are double-track ploughs. With the side-on view of 65267 (?) you can see that the fixing bracket is to the right of the coupling hook - the tell-tale sign. 

Here you go: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/30/878/ . I admit it's not too clear that it's a single-line (symmetrical) plough, but there's a much clearer picture of this engine on the same duty in March 1963 in Trains Illustrated #21 "The North British Railway" and it's definitely carrying a single-line plough.

And another couple:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/62/408/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/29/430/

Interesting, thanks - but you'd agree this is the rarer plough carried by the class? 

One thing that isn't too clear from the images, and again could be entirely down to the prototype stage rather than finalised model, is the lack of rivets on the smokebox wrapper and wingplates.

Considering the NBR version of 'Maude' is set in the preservation era, I'd have imagined these rivets would have been present on all three of the final 2018 releases having been the snap head variety on the class since LNER days.