Retooled class 47 in 7mm scale

steve fay

• 10 months later...

.....and there was me thinking it looked pretty good!!

...hard to tell until you see the actual model.............

I hate to join the Heljan front end critics but I do agree the 47 front just looks wrong. Ben please sort this out it could be a good model.

.....and there was me thinking it looked pretty good!!

...hard to tell until you see the actual model.............

Agree, it looks like a 47, more than the last, hopefully it will be slightly curved on the front rather than flat, but I will be buying just 1

• RMweb Premium

Given the issue with the original was the front, then there isn’t much point retooling if it isn’t right but totally agree that one image isn’t enough to tell much.

I’ll e mail their new chap on here and see if they are open to sharing clearer images for comment.

Given the issue with the original was the front, then there isn’t much point retooling if it isn’t right but totally agree that one image isn’t enough to tell much.

I’ll e mail their new chap on here and see if they are open to sharing clearer images for comment.

That would be great. If right, I might get 2. I have a Depot to fill

Having looked again at the CAD it does actually look too flat on the front where very subtle curves are needed.

It is obviously difficult to tell from the CAD but if comments can be raised with Heljan then hopefully it can be enhanced/corrected?

It is the difference between selling loads and taking over the market or just being average and not selling so many (hopefully the former)

On Hattons the 47 is shown selling at a shade under £600 still £100 less than the ex JLTRT kit however in this case if the shape wasn’t right I would go through the pain of making the kit, don’t ask why, so I hope the 47 looks spot on face wise, the rest I’m not too bothered about.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

In the interests of constructive criticism (and it is hard to tell fully from the Facebook photo due to shadowing) but isn’t there too wide a ‘shelf’ appearing under the front windows?? There of course should be a little ‘shelf’ but it just looks too wide/ie is too prominent in the photo. If that is the case then hopefully it can be corrected as otherwise there was little point in retooling it. What does everyone else think?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, deltic17 said:

In the interests of constructive criticism (and it is hard to tell fully from the Facebook photo due to shadowing) but isn’t there too wide a ‘shelf’ appearing under the front windows?? There of course should be a little ‘shelf’ but it just looks too wide/ie is too prominent in the photo. If that is the case then hopefully it can be corrected as otherwise there was little point in retooling it. What does everyone else think?

Someone has pointed this out on the Facebook page and Heljan have responded the measurements have been checked and it may be exaggerated by the lighting. I'm sure better photos will emerge.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Someone has pointed this out on the Facebook page and Heljan have responded the measurements have been checked and it may be exaggerated by the lighting. I'm sure better photos will emerge.

Thanks for your reply....

That is interesting that someone else has independently queried it too....oh no....??

I am somewhat worried because when you now look back at the CAD images earlier in the thread you can see this big bulge/wide shelf below the cab front windows.

Strange that Heljan say it correct?? as it certainly doesn't look correct to me and they have been good at shape issues in the past. I think we need to see some better side/corner shots. Did anyone take any? I must admit I didn't notice the small class 47 cab mock up at Telford on the Heljan stand - maybe I am going blind! or maybe I was distracted as I had my 2 children with me!!

Anyway the jury is out somewhat until we see a side/corner cab shot but I am somewhat concerned. We all just want a top notch 47 - then they will sell loads otherwise it is a wasted effort. If it is wrong I hope they have the sense to correct it.

Photos anyone?

• Agree 1