Retooled class 47 in 7mm scale

steve fay

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The radius (in side-elevation) between the cab front rake and the window 'shelf' looks too sharp to me.

heljan47-1.jpg.a27411615ee084e11919b004e2bb7c92.jpg

And too broad also...

But I've given up on trying to tell Heljan anything. I raised this very point with Heljan when they shared CAD images and got a very blunt reply from someone obviously fed up of talking to potential clients and said they were aware of the issue and that amendments were being made. Clearly they've not been made yet.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It is a shame that it appears Heljan haven't changed and appear to be content to continue to put out models with glaring issues.  Doesn't make one hopeful for the OO version announced over the summer, perhaps this will encourage someone else to enter the OO Class 47 new tooled market?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Im happy to sort the nose and overall it looks like a vast improvement over the old one. I'm hoping that the latter still have some residual value as can't see much use for it once replaced. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Im happy to sort the nose and overall it looks like a vast improvement over the old one. I'm hoping that the latter still have some residual value as can't see much use for it once replaced. 

Most people will happily sort out that issue, if it was priced more along the lines of what Dapol has to offer in the same scale.

Heljan's pricing is far ahead and their models don't really reflect that yet.

I was eagerly looking forward to this, not quite happy now. Like others, I was interested in this as I thought the OO gauge one would be a nice addition. But I think I'll stay with the ViTrains Class 47s for now.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Most people will happily sort out that issue, if it was priced more along the lines of what Dapol has to offer in the same scale.

Heljan's pricing is far ahead and their models don't really reflect that

I've said elsewhere the 121 pricing will be interesting with them both releasing one around the same time next year.

• Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a better view. ledge is too flat and too low in comparison to the side windows 

FDB7D2EF-CE0C-4B16-8A3B-86DC74A4494F.jpeg.4a03478032731f7213669d717bab085b.jpeg3AD087BC-9EDA-45EA-A936-49ACCDD2F942.png.42ff9450e0e92e14256ebbd9f1971ddd.png

21 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Here’s a better view. ledge is too flat and too low in comparison to the side windows 

Oh dear :( that's going to cause all sorts of other compounded errors    I'd also be concerned about the proportions of the headcode box,  the tops of the windscreens are straight on the model , rather than having a gentle curve to follow the rainstrip, and the tail lights don't really look that well observed. It may be the lighting , but the head on shot makes the whole cab look rather narrow.  In the cropped image of the model from Miss prisms post above the negative rake of the lower cab front appears really extreme.  Ok, so this is a RTR class 47 on O gauge, where there is at present no other available , but In 2019/2020 , for a £600ish model , of such an iconic loco , is this really good enough? 

Regards

Jon 

Edited by 43179
cant spell
  • Agree 3

53 minutes ago, 43179 said:

Oh dear :( that's going to cause all sorts of other compounded errors    I'd also be concerned about the proportions of the headcode box,  the tops of the windscreens are straight on the model , rather than having a gentle curve to follow the rainstrip, and the tail lights don't really look that well observed. It may be the lighting , but the head on shot makes the whole cab look rather narrow.  In the cropped image of the model from Miss prisms post above the negative rake of the lower cab front appears really extreme.  Ok, so this is a RTR class 47 on O gauge, where there is at present no other available , but In 2019/2020 , for a £600ish model , of such an iconic loco , is this really good enough? 

Regards

Jon 

I think a light infill on the ledge at the rear to create a bit of a slope and rounding off the front of the ledge would make it a lot closer. Doable myself as I only in envisage only getting one at the moment, and being sector livery, also hides some of it with black paint

• RMweb Premium

Is it also too flat across the windscreen? There's something somewhere not right. That might be why it has a monobrow instead of two separate eyebrows. 

As others have said, doesn't bode well for the 00 version. But then I had very low hopes anyway with Heljan, and would have put money on them getting it wrong - as they are with the class 25/3. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the top of the windows is actually a straight line but due to the complex curves immediately above, often appears otherwise. My photo here is not conclusive but I did note down they are straight when I climbed all over one and measured up some years ago. (The cab windows are 39 inches across).

As for the monobrow strip over the cab windows, Crewe locos were built like that. Brush built had separate eyebrows. As built the tail lights were orientated differently though and this is modelled Brush style.

It does look narrow but I'm wary of judging proportions from one or two photos - we will probably have a better idea after the Bristol show or similar.

post-7225-0-43402300-1350946001_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, 47606odin said:

FDB7D2EF-CE0C-4B16-8A3B-86DC74A4494F.jpeg.4a03478032731f7213669d717bab085b.jpeg3AD087BC-9EDA-45EA-A936-49ACCDD2F942.png.42ff9450e0e92e14256ebbd9f1971ddd.png

I’m not so sure. The black paint surrounding the cabside windows perhaps creates an illusion. To my eyes, the distance between the bottom of the cabside window frame relative to the top of the cab front ‘shelf’ looks ok. Only by actually measuring it will we get a definitive answer though.

• Agree 2

Also the windscreen wipers are still wrong (this was a problem with their original version) and they have carried that error into the new model!! In the original version they had different versions of the wipers at each end I recall which was also wrong! Looking at pictures from the 1980's of all 47's on Flickr and they all have (not sure how to describe this) a straight THIN wiper and not an angled!! one as in the photo above.

This is simple to correct so hopefully Heljan will be listening? - hopefully someone can point it out to them.

Edited by deltic17

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, I agree with all the comments on here about the various areas of the model in need of further work.  But I think it is a shame that nobody has yet commented on those aspects of the model which show real improvement and imagination; the bogies and under frame in particular (not to mention the Heljan mechanism which is always best-in-class in my experience).  I am certainly looking forward to the release of this loco, whenever it comes.  

PM

3 hours ago, uk_pm said:

Sadly, I agree with all the comments on here about the various areas of the model in need of further work.  But I think it is a shame that nobody has yet commented on those aspects of the model which show real improvement and imagination; the bogies and under frame in particular (not to mention the Heljan mechanism which is always best-in-class in my experience).  I am certainly looking forward to the release of this loco, whenever it comes.  

PM

Yes I agree - credit where due - it looks a lot better

I think we just focus on the areas for improvement re comments to try and help get an even better model

• Agree 1

On 20/12/2019 at 01:09, 43179 said:

Regards

Jon 

Would agree 're the head on image, the real cab is wider at the cab doors /cab side windows , looking square onto the front-end the cab side window framing is visable...

Dosn't bode well for the new 00 version..... "a slim jim instead of a tubby duff" ?

47430_IPSWICH.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
add photo

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Would agree 're the head on image, the real cab is wider at the cab doors /cab side windows , looking square onto the front-end the cab side window framing is visable...

Dosn't bode well for the new 00 version..... "a slim jim instead of a tubby duff" ?

47430_IPSWICH.JPG

I'm about to re-start an attempt to widen the old one and this photo is about as good a head-on as I've seen!

I'm pretty sure the one head-on shot we've seen of the new model is distorted by the camera position - the 3/4 view suggests there is a taper and the mock-up cab on their Facebook page is tapered. I'm waiting to see it in the flesh before drawing too many conclusions.

Edited by Hal Nail

12 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

47430_IPSWICH.JPG

Sorry, I'd have to disagree, the camera used to take a head on shot of the model is far too close to the model. Therefore whilst they're both head on shots, the angle and distance is different and cannot be used as a comparison.

• Agree 3