Retooled class 47 in 7mm scale

steve fay

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 159220 said:

But I shall confess, I am a little confused with the Heljan 47 here. As on Tower Models it says Heljan plan to make both original and refurbished variants of the 47.

The refurbished one has plated over headcode and water tanks round the batteries removed. I think I read will still have buffer beam skirts though.

KMS are offering the 47/7 with jumper connections and they've said long range fuel tanks, which would potentially open up other variations later.  

On 15/06/2020 at 15:03, rob D2 said:

Yeah , I think it says 47/7 not /4 or /8 so it’s a different beast 

Shame, I would have ordered 47813 (or 805, 818, 853) in DRS instantly. Hopefully on the OO variants, Heljan shall make sure the tooling covers all types - otherwise I shall be keeping my Bachmann and ViTrains/Rail Exclusive 47/8s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Can anyone who has the original Heljan 47 confirm if the boiler water tanks are easily removable to create a 47/3, or are they actually supplied loose in the box, in order to be fitted If you wish to create a 47/0? 

I’m assuming that whatever was the case with the first loco will be repeated with this one.

Ta

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Airport2010 said:

Hi.

Can anyone who has the original Heljan 47 confirm if the boiler water tanks are easily removable to create a 47/3, or are they actually supplied loose in the box, in order to be fitted If you wish to create a 47/0? 

I’m assuming that whatever was the case with the first loco will be repeated with this one.

Ta

Which era are you modelling? The 47/3s had water tanks just like the others from new and some never lost them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Which era are you modelling? The 47/3s had water tanks just like the others from new and some never lost them.

1980 blue era. Planning on getting two locos. One retained the tank and one lost it. 47330/47364.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

Can anyone who has the original Heljan 47 confirm if the boiler water tanks are easily removable to create a 47/3

You would have to cut them off the original - it had a low relief face with the tanks integral to it, which pushed onto a core.

The new arrangement looks totally different.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Something else I have been working on.....this is a pre production Heljan 0 gauge class 47. Repainted and finished as GD tat 568. It was in a very rundown condition, I still have a bit more weathering detail to complete, but thought you would like to see it so far. I think it looks pretty good :-) i believe these are due to hit the shops late this year.

As always if you want one or 6, get in touch!

FB_IMG_1618069153244.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069150521.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069147497.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069144673.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069141750.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069138876.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069135805.jpg

FB_IMG_1618069132898.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Hi Fellas  I’ve just joined RM Web so this is my first post , sorry it’s a gripe ! Lol   I’ve just seen the decorated  7 mm class 47 ,A model I was really  looking forward to getting  , but I.M.O . the roof looks shite ! , ie the relation between the height of the No1 end Serck radiator shutters , and the roof vents , they are almost the same level !  , probably not helped much by the roof being too flat ! (None of the many cl 47  OO gauge models in the past  have messed that area up ) and also where the corners of the cab roof meet at the bottom of the horn shroud  it now catches the light,  as it’s not a smooth curve ! Shame really as I would have definitely bought more than one if they had nailed it ! , Oh , and I agree with deltic17   ( old post )  being  right about that  shelf under the windscreens,  its still a bit too big as well ! 

15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

For me, the latest photos are actually more promising than we'd seen before. I'd want to see it in the flesh before buying though, wary of relying on photos on this one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=656

The dark green line looks a bit odd under the cab side windows on the two tone green small yellow panel version. I thought it was straight all the way to the nose.

Mark

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark said:

The dark green line looks a bit odd under the cab side windows on the two tone green small yellow panel version. I thought it was straight all the way to the nose.

Mark

Looks a little askew but I assume that's the sort of thing the paint samples are there to pick up.

Running a black pen inside the glazing would have quite an impact I think.

On 28/07/2021 at 22:11, ALi.G said:

Hi Fellas  I’ve just joined RM Web so this is my first post , sorry it’s a gripe ! Lol   I’ve just seen the decorated  7 mm class 47 ,A model I was really  looking forward to getting  , but I.M.O . the roof looks shite ! , ie the relation between the height of the No1 end Serck radiator shutters , and the roof vents , they are almost the same level !  , probably not helped much by the roof being too flat ! (None of the many cl 47  OO gauge models in the past  have messed that area up ) and also where the corners of the cab roof meet at the bottom of the horn shroud  it now catches the light,  as it’s not a smooth curve ! Shame really as I would have definitely bought more than one if they had nailed it ! , Oh , and I agree with deltic17   ( old post )  being  right about that  shelf under the windscreens,  its still a bit too big as well ! 

Agree Roof grilles definitely look wrong.

Heljan seem to be good at getting this area on a loco wrong.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Agree 1

Agree with all of the above too, the front end looks wrong too the horizontal handrail is too far down which pushes the route indicator box further down. I have one on order with Hattons but I’m sorry there is just too much to bug me with this so it’s a no. MM1 models for me if I do one even with the price I would rather it looks like a 47 even if the build price will be more. Would have expected better.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2021 at 13:11, ALi.G said:

I tend not to read the threads on 2mm and 7mm stuff but happened to glance at this.

IMHO the first version of the "O" class 31 and class 47 had issues around the upper part of the windscreens into the cab roofs, or should I just simply that and say cabs. This revised class 47 certainly looks a lot lot better and if I were to consider 7mm modelling I might have considered the new 47. But..... that thing about not being able to unsee detail.  Yup, the serck shutters panels should be higher up to roof compared to the cantrail grilles.  And yes, the "shelf" below the windscreens seems to jut out a little too much, or is it the windscreens that are not further forward. 

The class 47 cab is full of very subtle little curves which have caught most 4mm producers out. Wonder if the tooling for this has been in the shrink machine for the 4mm version yet. 

On 28/07/2021 at 15:22, ALi.G said:

I have to add thou after my  previous post , that blueeighties  photos of 47568 looks amazing ,  superb weathering too ! 

On 29/07/2021 at 14:18, P.C.M said:

Agree Roof grilles definitely look wrong.

Heljan seem to be good at getting this area on a loco wrong.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MarstonVale said:

Hi all,

In stock now at some well known retailers.

One exec livery will be arriving on my layout soon.

Paul

not the triple grey as apparently according to Heljan the roof grey was wrong so we’re rejected. Apparently the decorated samples were correct and unknown how the wrong colour was used

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2021 at 18:31, Willoughby Glen said:

Does anyone have any idea which intercity 47s had the thicker orange warning band as cannot find one with it that thick, which is odd when you see all the others have the correct width

If any had it, they'll be shown here: 

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_liveries.php?s_type=2&s_liv=12

It's just a question of trawling through the list of locos (at the top right) that received the livery that the site refers to as "InterCity - original" (the site has pictures of each recipient) to see which (if any) had this thicker line - it's not a variant I was aware of.

A quick look reveals 47501 with a slightly thicker line, though it doesn't look as thick as Heljan's.