Retooled class 47 in 7mm scale

steve fay

• 5 months later...

Would someone who has a Heljan 47 with the original steam-heat boiler tanks possibly be able to post a picture of the underside tanks viewed from below? (One year on, I am finally getting around to converting my 1980s 47/4 model to a 47/0 by replacing the underframe tanks, but I am still struggling to identify all the parts I need, and a photo from below would be a huge help).

I have acquired most of the parts required, but I suspect that there is at least one more part that I am missing and which does not appear on the Heljan parts lists for the two types of undeframe tanks.  Gaugemaster have been helpful as always, but when it comes to the underframe details the Heljan parts diagram for the 7mm 47 does not bear any resemblance to reality, and I am not convinced that the Heljan parts lists for the two styles of underframe are accurate either.  In particular, there ought to be some sort of cover spanning between the two water tanks at the boiler end, and also a large flat a “bottom” for the whole of the tank assembly, but none of these items appear on the underframe parts list.   I suspect that these covers might be parts 209 and/or 210 (“Combination Cover A” and “B”).  On the other hand, following the Heljan parts list for the steam-heat underframe would result in there being eight battery boxes instead of four, so I am inclined to treat it with a pinch of salt!

Also, if anyone knows how the water tanks are numbered I’d be very grateful to know which one the small one on the end under the end nearest the boiler port is.  There are four Heljan parts (left water tanks  1 and 3, right water tanks 2 and 4, but one of them was missing from my parts order and as they all come loose with no numbers I’m not sure which one is missing.  It is the one on this image.

I’ll post pictures of the conversion in due course, if anyone else is contemplating something similar you may wish to start with the 1970s version that already has the correct tanks and boiler port, as in retrospect I’ve realised that adding a high intensity headlight would probably have been easier than the course I’ve embarked on.

missing parts image 2.jpg