Stabled on Shillston Road

On 15/01/2018 at 11:00, marc smith said:

Yes, it's amazing how us modellers seem to strive for neat ballast and smooth slowing trackwork......
... yet so often in real life - things can be rather different! How I recall seeing so many over-grown sidings, dust & dirt where ballast should be and rusty, wonky rails
And often where there was ballast in a yard or depot.... you couldn't see its' colour for all the oil & filth it was covered with....
Nice photo there - very inspirational view that

The thing with neat ballasting and well laid track on a model is a sign of showing you have taken your time, bad ballasting is my biggest pet hate, I’ve seen some lovely layouts ruined by bad ballasting, I’ve declined booking layouts for our show as it doesn’t look right. If care is taken at this stage it exemplifies the layout. 

I do do agree though that there is a massive difference between the real thing and a model.

Richard.

13 hours ago, Richard Scott said:

The thing with neat ballasting and well laid track on a model is a sign of showing you have taken your time, bad ballasting is my biggest pet hate, I’ve seen some lovely layouts ruined by bad ballasting, I’ve declined booking layouts for our show as it doesn’t look right. If care is taken at this stage it exemplifies the layout. 

I do do agree though that there is a massive difference between the real thing and a model.

Richard.

Actually, I wasn't talking about "bad ballasting" on a model - I was talking about how, in real life, many yards especially, the ballast is sparse, or covered in oil, filth & grime.
Quite a different factor from bad ballasting. I know what you mean about badly ballasted layouts, But that is not what I was discussing at all. Bad ballasting, and modelling prototypically sparse ballasting (or areas so covered in filth, you can't see the ballast or its' colour) are two quite different topics.

EDIT: In fact, neat, clean, tidy, well laid ballast can just look "wrong" in some situations - as it would on this fine micro
Which was the whole point of my post.... Just making my point clear

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Me again! Lol. I really like the half built? / Half demolished? wall at the back of the depot building. Again, something we don't see modelled often enough IMO
Along with the pile of aggregate / ballast, these are the sort of details that give a layout or a scene a sense of atmosphere :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, marc smith said:

Me again! Lol. I really like the half built? / Half demolished? wall at the back of the depot building. Again, something we don't see modelled often enough IMO
Along with the pile of aggregate / ballast, these are the sort of details that give a layout or a scene a sense of atmosphere :)

Thanks Marc. A sense of atmosphere is what I am after :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, marc smith said:

Actually, I wasn't talking about "bad ballasting" on a model - I was talking about how, in real life, many yards especially, the ballast is sparse, or covered in oil, filth & grime.
Quite a different factor from bad ballasting. I know what you mean about badly ballasted layouts, But that is not what I was discussing at all. Bad ballasting, and modelling prototypically sparse ballasting (or areas so covered in filth, you can't see the ballast or its' colour) are two quite different topics.

EDIT: In fact, neat, clean, tidy, well laid ballast can just look "wrong" in some situations - as it would on this fine micro
Which was the whole point of my post.... Just making my point clear

20 hours ago, Richard Scott said:

Richard.

Yes open to debate - I usually ballast "nice" and then ballast "bad" with all the accompanied detrius -  Oil - Stone Dust - Cement etc that goes with it - one thing I do find hard to replicate is overgrown sidings - one or two on this forum do carry it off well with the right bits.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Crompton central - can't beat a (Southern) Type 2 anyday again!

Excellent

Ian

Agree with the sentiment, but type 3! BRCW got type 3 power with ETH into the body shape of the type 2s; can't beat that (even with a big stick!) ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Crompton central - can't beat a (Southern) Type 2 anyday again!

Excellent

Ian

11 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Agree with the sentiment, but type 3! BRCW got type 3 power with ETH into the body shape of the type 2s; can't beat that (even with a big stick!) ;)

Of course, you are both wrong. Can't beat a Class 37.... anywhere! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just wanted to add:- I enjoyed seeing that micro / plank / diorama too @SouthernBlue80ssome nice rusty, overgrown track there.
Looks great with those weathered wagons on too - scenes once so common in my neck of the woods.....

2020 has been pretty awful for so many of us mate. I had some "mojo" back a short while ago - but that has waned, as I really should have a good clear-out, with regard to my modelling "stuff" - layouts and locos included, before I can start any new projects.....

But the bottom line is, I know my modelling mojo will return again one day - and I'm sure you'll start your modelling again soon too mate
All the best from (locked-down) Cardiff  :) :) :) 

• Friendly/supportive 3

I enjoyed looking through your photo plank thread, always good to see photo's of your work Steve. I'm sure you'll get your modelling mojo back, I'm enjoying the darker eves now, just makes me want to build stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1