Scissors crossing

russ p

• RMweb Gold

Took delivery of a mega point this morning which will form the main throat of the station on my new cley on sea layout

It made using peco points as a basis the very helpful chap Patrick makes various hybrid points to order and is very reasonable and extremely fast

You can see more by searching code 100 scissors crossing on eBay or emailing ratp78@gmail.com

post-9362-0-00383900-1515430666_thumb.jpg

Edited by russ p
  • Like 11

I saw these on Ebay yesterday, they look rather impressive. Started me thinking as to how Cyril Freezer's classic 'Minories' track plan could be developed with these complex points.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-Hornby-double-scissor-crossover-point-small-medium-or-large/152779585163?var=452481196392&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3D4081e4e4e5f549ac800eaa286ce36f4a%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D152779585163&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Edited by andrewwaite1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nice work. Some quite effective bits can be made from Peco in that way.

I built a curved scissors for my layout using a single slip and two curved points.

attachicon.gifslip scissors.JPG

The closure piece is 12o at 47" radius

I would never have seen how that could work .... so disappointed to find my latest plan can't sensibly use a scissors!  

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Happy to report mine is installed, motorized and trains seem happy to pass over it. The only slightly difficulty which will ease as get used to it is setting the route correctly

Edited by russ p
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

He’s been making them for years.

I have two scissors crossovers made by him, both have been in place 3 years without issue.

I use DC, they are pre-wired. I have a 4 feeds, one feed to each entry point, as crossing the scissor requires an in bound feed on both sides, but directly crossing (ie not switching track) it is fine.

Only point of note, the ones sold on ebay use second hand trackwork, I didn’t know that when I ordered (or even if New was an option), if I replaced them I would request new, but obviously that would impact price.

But as I said.. I’ve had two for 3 years now, no issue.

• RMweb Gold

Happy to report mine is installed, motorized and trains seem happy to pass over it. The only slightly difficulty which will ease as get used to it is setting the route correctly

If using point motors, tie all 4 point motors to fire together.. they are either all open to cross, or all closed to pass over, there is no other combination.post-20773-0-73889600-1523084205_thumb.jpeg

For the second half of each slip..it’s then functions as just an ordinary point...

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

That’s how I operate my (n gauge) Peco scissor crossings. Not wholly prototypical, but easier!

That’s how the ones at Bury station function for trams (and the 504’s before them) since 1980...indeed that’s how I learnt it !

You’ll have to freeze frame it to see it but..

If you look at this video 29 seconds in, from the drivers cab, you can just see the opposing blade is open on the opposite track.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIG7kBuDbc#fauxfullscreen

Also 12 seconds in here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1MPMfc9nE

Here’s some more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urJWPsFlnT0#fauxfullscreen

Very clear shot here 36 seconds in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tvFTYCkex04

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Russ this rough (!) sketch shows how the point ends would be arranged to work in that formation of yours.  Part of the trick is to work out which end of each slip forms part of the crossover through the scissors and once you've done that the rest is easy(ish).

Thus 1A and 1B work together to form a crossover and similarly 3A and 3B work together to form the other crossover through the scissors.  2, 4, and 5 are effectively simple turnouts which chose the route something will take into or out of that particular part of the crossover. 

It is possibly easier to understand if you think about the interlocking because 1 and 3 cannot be reversed at the same time thus only one crossover route can be set through the scissors part at a time  but of course both of the through lines can be used for straight running or for a movement on/off them via points 2, 4, and 5.  and of course 2, 4, and 5 can be set to either route for something going through the. crossovers.

post-6859-0-21530100-1523097257_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

A classic example for route setting with a diode matrix; if you are using DCC the correct combination of DCC system and accessory decoders allow for route setting to be set up in the DCC system, if not driving relays from the accessory decoder which activate a diode matrix in the same manner as an anologue system (the relays taking the part of the switches or stud & probe).

• 2 years later...

I built a scissors crossing. It wasn’t easy so I have the utmost respect of the builder of those far more complex examples! 

52168BA2-4502-46C8-9076-F7B20974D01B.png.46a46bffeff387b3a5d0a926d0d78ca0.png

Mine is visible in this picture. Just a basic model with four carefully trimmed Peco points and a short crossing. All four point motors are slaved to fire together. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Suspect the fault is simply one or more of the points not making full contact between the switch/closure rail and stock rail. Take it apart and try running a loco both ways on each point in turn to see if any need tweaking in terms of any metal contact on the underside of the switch / closure rail or maybe the contacting rail sides need a good clean. Another issue could simply be the loco you were using; there are a lot of dead frogs which could pose problems, more so if any of the points have developed a hump at the frog meaning locos are lifting a wheel or two off the rails, a track pin or two in the right places should resolve that

Edited by Butler Henderson

On 24/12/2020 at 03:45, 313201 said:

1357986969_Scissorscrossoveroverheadview.jpg.7268bacbaa17c585a439b7a4a05cd115.jpg1334602552_Scissorscrossoverundersideview.jpg.ea0c505f4c0f14a03c909d9cb6c849c5.jpg

Here are the 2 pictures of my scissors crossover 

Looking at the left-hand picture the bottom left point appears to be an electrofrog example. All the others are insulfrog. This might have a bearing on the issue as it will not be self-isolating?

A quick test might be to remove that point and check the working of the rest of the crossing.

Cheers,

Peter C.