Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone taken delivery of one of these yet, and, if so, does it run well and/or have any unanticipated problems?

It would seem deliveries to dealers haven't quite happened as expected.

My supplier was expecting them earlier this week and would have delivered by Christmas.

However on closing today for the holiday they still hadn't seen any.

One late Christmas pressy for me!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

This arrived at Alton Model Centre today, Paul had to ginger up the delivery company to achieve delivery but they pulled out the stops and got the supply of Sir Francis Drake to the shop. A quick photo on my iPhone before it was handed over for packing by my wife as my surprise Christmas present. Looks really nice, well done Hornby! Paul has a good supply and I gather he opens again on Thursday. Now really looking forward to the next batch in the new year.

all the best and a Happy Christmas to all.

Godfrey

post-138-0-79222900-1545600280_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone taken delivery of one of these yet, and, if so, does it run well and/or have any unanticipated problems?

Mine arrived this morning courtesy of Rails, minor niggle with a slightly wonky cab step on the right hand side (an easy fix, once I get in onto the workbench in the New Year). Mine runs very smoothly and quietly and it has a certain wow factor about it.

post-7000-0-60108700-1545655391_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-83148700-1545655575_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Mine arrived this morning courtesy of Rails, minor niggle with a slightly wonky cab step on the right hand side (an easy fix, once I get in onto the workbench in the New Year). Mine runs very smoothly and quietly and it has a certain wow factor about it.

attachicon.gif851_lhfan.jpg

attachicon.gif851_rhfan.jpg

Did they honour the price you ordered at?

(I'm right in thinking the price has just gone up?)

• RMweb Gold

That's a beautiful looking model, quite a praise coming from a Castle lover. Hornby are on the up it seems.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nelsons (and Arfurs, for that matter) were distinctly on their uppers by the time I saw them, and lacked glamour compared to the Bulleid pacifics. But this is a stunning model, and once the versions with smoke deflectors appear I could be tempted.

And yes, Hornby is making great models. Long may that continue. Merry Christmas, Hornby!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I will definitely need at least one, to keep my fleet representative of its geography and era, but it will be replacing the aged Bachmann one I have.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very definitely.  I had a good look at one in a shop yesterday and while they are not my cup of tea railway wise it looks like an absolutely cracking job of modelling.  If I was into Southern mainlines I'd be going for one like a shot, alas I'm not.

You don't know yet, but you will really want one  :sungum:  :sungum:

I have just ordered the last of these from Bure Valley Models (which had 6 in stock when I posted the message above); I was able to get the locomotive and a 3rd class dining saloon, including postage, for the same price as the RRP for the locomotive alone.

• Like 2

Certainly does have a "wow factor" about it, looks fantastic. If the Rails photos and others are anything to go by then that wonky right-hand cab step is how they all are perhaps. Probably easy to detach and reattach. It looks like the tender bogies could do with a thin shim to lift the tender body a fraction as it doesn't seem to be in line vertically with the footplate... could be that the wheels are of the wrong diameter. Otherwise, a magnificent representation.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly does have a "wow factor" about it, looks fantastic. If the Rails photos and others are anything to go by then that wonky right-hand cab step is how they all are perhaps. Probably easy to detach and reattach. It looks like the tender bogies could do with a thin shim to lift the tender body a fraction as it doesn't seem to be in line vertically with the footplate... could be that the wheels are of the wrong diameter. Otherwise, a magnificent representation.

The tender is the same tooling as the S15's and that had a similar issue, been a while since I've had one - but if memory serves it's the rear set of bogies that needs adjusting to correct the nose down issue of the tender

• RMweb Gold

Just out of idle interest, does the rearward-extending arm or the cylinder drains attach to anything solid ?

Nice to see the model with details on. It's a real cracker.  As many have said, the BR versions will likely be very nice. 

Yes there's lugs that they attach to - I've left them floating so it will go round my track.

R3634 851 Sir Francis Drake in SR Olive Green has just arrived at Hattons with lots of small details to fit on. Please see Product News at https://www.hattons.co.uk.

Looks like Sir Francis Drake needed to finish his game of bowls before attacking the model railway market.

It often seems that models arrive at Hattons a few days after they arrive at their competitors or perhaps it takes Hattons longer to get the models on the shop's website.