Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

R3634 851 Sir Francis Drake in SR Olive Green has just arrived at Hattons with lots of small details to fit on. Please see Product News at https://www.hattons.co.uk.

Looks like Sir Francis Drake needed to finish his game of bowls before attacking the model railway market.

It often seems that models arrive at Hattons a few days after they arrive at their competitors or perhaps it takes Hattons longer to get the models on the shop's website.

Can't get them through the door for all the broken secondhand models stacked inside.

• RMweb Premium

I have been trying my Lord Nelson tonight and what a lovely loco it is.

After some running in I checked to slow running which was very good and the top speed which was way too high (approx 110 scale mph!)

After fitting my decoder of choice it was time to give it a proper test.

I adjusted top & Mid CVs to a more suitable figure (around 75mph)

A couple of not very good videos to show it's performance:

Slow running with a setting of 3 on 128 steps.

Starting 9 coaches (5 Twelve wheel Pullmans & 4 Maunsells)

Unfortunately the loco is a bit light footed as it wont take that load up a 1:100 gradient

I think a bit more weight could help.

Keith

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying my Lord Nelson tonight and what a lovely loco it is.

After some running in I checked to slow running which was very good and the top speed which was way too high (approx 110 scale mph!)

After fitting my decoder of choice it was time to give it a proper test.

I adjusted top & Mid CVs to a more suitable figure (around 75mph)

A couple of not very good videos to show it's performance:

Slow running with a setting of 3 on 128 steps.

Starting 9 coaches (5 Twelve wheel Pullmans & 4 Maunsells)

Unfortunately the loco is a bit light footed as it wont take that load up a 1:100 gradient

I think a bit more weight could help.

Keith

I like the custom sound chip you fitted  :jester:

Give a it bit more running in to get some play on the drivers before added weight my thinks

• RMweb Premium

I like the custom sound chip you fitted  :jester:

Give a it bit more running in to get some play on the drivers before added weight my thinks

Of the Elizabethan period!

It's actually "Ancient FM" which streams music of that era, purely co-incidental to the loco running. (Sir Francis Drake c1540-1596)

Re the running.

Although it had been tested at the retailer it was noticeable how it started to free up after about 15mins running

Initially it was quicker in reverse than forward but now is the same both ways.

Keith

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is all good news on pricing..

But will it last until the Brunswick green ones arrive?

It will with us! :)

It's actually "Ancient FM" which streams music of that era, purely co-incidental to the loco running. (Sir Francis Drake c1540-1596)

Re the running.

Although it had been tested at the retailer it was noticeable how it started to free up after about 15mins running

Keith

Indeed I agree, this seems to be the case. I had one on extended test for a customer who requested the model run in before he collected, 30 mins in each direction. We found it to be on par (if not better) than the latest Hornby toolings. Also, the first loco in a little while with zero rejects at our pre-despatch testing stage - that's commendable, whichever manufacturer the loco originates from. :) 

• Like 5

Re the running.

Keith

So long as it doesn't proceed to the sound of a consort of Crumhorns, it'd sound more like a diesel...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

. We found it to be on par (if not better) than the latest Hornby toolings. Also, the first loco in a little while with zero rejects at our pre-despatch testing stage - that's commendable, whichever manufacturer the loco originates from. :)

Hi Little D

It's good news that they are proving to be of high quality.

Maybe it will stop Hornby of ever thinking of going down the corner cutting ("Design clever") route ever again.

When they pull the stops out they can really produce a stunner.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So long as it doesn't proceed to the sound of a consort of Crumhorns, it'd sound more like a diesel...

I think this is a better recording:

Keith

Amazing what crops up in a Hornby discussion :jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

On the subject of smoke deflectors - when were they fitted, and does anyone do any etched (or other aftermarket) ones, does anyone know?

If someone can measure the Hornby deflectors on the BR versions we can know for sure, the only thing ive seen that might be slightly suitable are the Schools Class deflectors from Phoenix, they don't have the cut-outs, so if all the other dimensions match then they would be your best bet, if you're happy to compromise on the cut-outs for the handholds. (They could be way out and completely wrong though!)

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at "Maunsell Locomotives: A Pictorial History" by Brian Harensnape, these locomotives are shown with smoke deflectors in the early 1930s, so I shall have to see if I can procure/modify some.

Crownline used to do a detailing kit for the Bachmann model that included an etch with smoke deflectors, front steps and a few other bits on it.

I think Craftsman and/or Jackson Evans might have done them too, but all three ranges are unfortunately defunct.

Don't know of any currently available.

John

I note that the Bachmann model's smoke deflectors are not quite right for the mid 1930s, as they do not have the cut-outs for the steam pipe. I was thinking of procuring a "spares or repairs" Bachmann model to take the deflectors.

Edited by jamespetts

• RMweb Premium

Here's another video after a bit more running.

First - Minimum speed now on setting 1 of 128.

Then - Accelerating 6 Hornby 12 wheel Pullmans. This is the most it will pull up my gradient and it slips a bit doing that.

Keith

Smoke deflectors from 1929. First eleven were built without them. E861 to E865 had them from new. All had them by 8/1930.

Source - Locomotives In Detail: Lord Nelson Class. Cracking little book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maunsell-4-6-0-Nelson-Locomotives-Detail/dp/0711032475/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1546914465&sr=1-3&keywords=locomotives+in+detail

Jackson Evans are now under Phoenix Paints. Although they don't seem to have any. I think PDK did them (probably the old Crownline part).

Obviously Craftsman aren't available.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. How steep is your gradient?

Max 1:60 but mostly about 1:100.

The Bachmann Ivatt Atlantic only just manages 5 12 wheel Pullmans.

The Pullmans are a bit draggy with the contact springs on the axles.

I'll try it with some Maunsell coaches to see how it does.

Keith