Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamespetts said:

If only Hornby would make available the smoke deflectors as a spare part to enable fitting to the olive green versions for the purpose of bringing them into the 1930s (with a little renumbering to remove the "E").

The same might also be said with regard to Hornbys two previous Olive Green Schools class releases - which appeared with less than 12 months between them and sat on retailers shelves for quite a while as a result.

Conversely  Hornby have ensured every single of their Olive N15s has appeared with deflectors with an identical 'more of the same' problem suppressing sales.

One would hope that Hornby have taken these comments on board and at some stage will not only produce a Olive LN with deflectors but will also do the same with the Olive schools model while removing them from future Olive  N15 releases

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Conversely  Hornby have ensured every single of their Olive N15s has appeared with deflectors with an identical 'more of the same' problem suppressing sales.

One would hope that Hornby have taken these comments on board and at some stage will not only produce a Olive LN with deflectors but will also do the same with the Olive schools model while removing them from future Olive  N15 releases

I may be missing something here, it happens more often than I care to think, but from a brief perusal of my S15 (sorry, I don't have my N15 to hand) I'd hazard to say that it's easier to remove deflectors that exist already than to add ones that don't.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, truffy said:

I may be missing something here, it happens more often than I care to think, but from a brief perusal of my S15 (sorry, I don't have my N15 to hand) I'd hazard to say that it's easier to remove deflectors that exist already than to add ones that don't.

In general if you remove the deflectors then renumbering is needed as by the time the prefixes were got rid of deflectors were the norm. It should be noted that this is not simply a case of adding an 'E' prefix - the oval cast number / owners plates on the cab sides ( which were also affixed to tender backs before the 1930s renumbering when they got replaced with painted numbers) were different and would need replacing somehow.

Also the middle set of lamp brackets may well have to be altered - those on the schools class had to be shifted inwards when deflectors were added.

Granted none of this is impossible - but doing so without damaging the model or the livery requires a steady hand and a certain amount of skill - neither of which i am able to master, hence the frustration at Hornby's choices when it comes to Olive liveried releases over the past decade.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Derails Models said:

And sure enough, on my desk this morning...

R3635Full3.png.360e36733a367add2da1f07dfdeefca3.png

(not really sure what happened to the focus on the buffer-beam on this one...unfortunately I only had time to take one!)

Looks superb!  Thanks for the photo.

here it is again with jpg format and a slight vignette and I moved the tender a smidgeon I hope you don't mind, what a fine looking model!

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abc_r1500a.jpg.4ff50802d1945358c772093d2bcd38d8.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Looks superb!  Thanks for the photo.

here it is again with jpg format and a slight vignette and I moved the tender a smidgeon I hope you don't mind, what a fine looking model!

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abc_r1500a.jpg.4ff50802d1945358c772093d2bcd38d8.jpg

Its ok, but Early Crest won't go with the rest of my Southern lumps....

It'd be interesting to see how much grime TBG could dump on it.  :jester:

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Its ok, but Early Crest won't go with the rest of my Southern lumps....

It'd be interesting to see how much grime TBG could dump on it.  :jester:

He might not like that, Eastleigh kept them rather clean .

OTOH TBG is very good at weathering clean-ish engines, a subtle art indeed, with lubricant around rods, and smokebox and boiler tops with grime and/or other effects.  He did a very good Castle recently for a client.

Edited by robmcg
typos and additions.

curious question, having just bought two Lord Nelsons, 851 and 80863, I am curious rather than worried, whether the cab door is fitted as in the Derails photo below, or not fitted as per the Rails pic just below that.

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abcde_r1500.jpg.405cba6fdac0627f69795888ad22f6b5.jpg

30863_LN_Nelson_Rodney_R3635_portrait2_1abc_r1676.jpg.7ecb46bf791a2e4018abbd311edd7449.jpg

Brilliant models! I have edited the photos very slightly mainly to close engine-tender gap.

Grateful acknowledgements to Derails and Rails.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, robmcg said:

curious question, having just bought two Lord Nelsons, 851 and 80863, I am curious rather than worried, whether the cab door is fitted as in the Derails photo below, or not fitted as per the Rails pic just below that.

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abcde_r1500.jpg.405cba6fdac0627f69795888ad22f6b5.jpg

30863_LN_Nelson_Rodney_R3635_portrait2_1abc_r1676.jpg.7ecb46bf791a2e4018abbd311edd7449.jpg

Brilliant models! I have edited the photos very slightly mainly to close engine-tender gap.

Grateful acknowledgements to Derails and Rails.

It's fitted as standard. :) If you zoom in on the Rails pic, the cab door is there, but bent around a little and therefore shaded from the light so not easily visible. I thought the same as you initially! 

Thanks for your edits by the way, that looks better! I'm using a new DSLR that replaces what was effectively a smartphone as the shop camera, and I'm still getting to grips with it's settings and the sheer amount of stuff it can do...! 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to get shot down here!!

To me, it doesn't look THAT MUCH better than the Bachmann LN.

I could line up my 30850 alongside a Hornby one and not feel like I need to sell it and get a Hornby be one.

Possibly its the 'little extra details' not exposed which make the difference?

Al.

Could it be that Hornby have chosen "Lord Rodney" to follow their SR liveried version as this was the only LN to retain the original cylinders and piano front  to the end.  Thus only a repainting and addition of smoke deflectors were necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my Lord Rodney from Alton Model Centre this afternoon and I am most impressed, indeed delighted with it. I do have the old Bachmann version and the Hornby version is, in my humble opinion, a significant upgrade and well worth getting. Lets face it the Bachmann version came out many years ago and a new version should be better. One aspect that particularly impresses me are the name plates. It runs beautifully.

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Could it be that Hornby have chosen "Lord Rodney" to follow their SR liveried version as this was the only LN to retain the original cylinders and piano front  to the end.  Thus only a repainting and addition of smoke deflectors were necessary.

It needed a different chimney, smokebox front, smokebox (no snifting valves) , tender, and maybe other things too so not entirely simple, but it may have made sense to use the 851 SR chassis mouldings?  Before moving to the larger smokebox re-cylindered variety.

Brilliant models in my opinion and it took me a while to appreciate the class, Derails' photos were the last straw in removing my resistance!  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

My LN arrived this morning.

Once again my thanks to Derails for the prompt service.

P1230834.JPG

What a great photo! The lighting on the engine is very 'real' to my eye, and I hope you will not be offended that I have adapted it with a sharper tender by replacing the cab backwards and removing some background as below.

I know my pics are not 'modelling' and re frowned-on by some, I will remove it if you wish.

I do think your photo and the model are great, RTR at its very best.

30863_LN_NELSON_Portrait5_2abcde_r1500.jpg.1d18c8e82a30d6cf3ace480217de0284.jpg

I apologise that this is a very quick photo-edit done on battery power as I am currently stuck on a bed, I will improve it if you wish and would love to have permission to add effects and background.

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

My LN arrived this morning.

Once again my thanks to Derails for the prompt service.

P1230834.JPG

Natural light from a "real" direction certainly enhances the merits of the model, I'm really looking forward to my 30850 arriving in the next few weeks!

6 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

To Robmcg, be my guest, I enjoy your work.

Trevor.

Thanks Trevor, it's a pleasure creating pictures of models which are altered by editing but is ethically a bit tricky when people quite reasonably want accurate or 'real' photos of a model.   I hope my pics are seen for what they are; photo-edited scenes using an 00 model.  

It's hard sometimes to get the look of spokes and motion in daylight, especially when using studio light, and your pic is marvellous, thanks.  

I'll add some bits to the pic shortly, my two 'Nelsons' are still en route to NZ, 851 and 30863.

Thanks again. 

• Like 2

According to the Hornby website, and Rails of Sheffield, the BR late emblem tts version is in stock at Hornby and due to be shipped to retailers early next week. I'm due to receive Lord Rodney on Monday, and looks like Lord Nelson will follow in a few days. Hornby must have had a large container full of product arrive recently!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rembrow said:

According to the Hornby website, and Rails of Sheffield, the BR late emblem tts version is in stock at Hornby and due to be shipped to retailers early next week. I'm due to receive Lord Rodney on Monday, and looks like Lord Nelson will follow in a few days. Hornby must have had a large container full of product arrive recently!!!

Wow!  We are drowning in good things!  I shall have to buy 30850 with the more standard BR front-end.  And because it had/has such an interesting history.

Here is 30863 with details edited-on...   edited pic from Trevor7598's original.    further pic with steam and smoke might appear in the 'best ever' thread.

30863_LN_Nelson_Portrait5_4ab_r1500.jpg.2ea5bb0889d3dcf40da749bf54b3acea.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, rembrow said:

Indeed these are good times!  Hornby appears to have sold out, but I can hardly wait now, having become an irrational fan of the class now.

Will remove these two pics if asked, both slightly edited.

Oh, and another thing re the choice of 30863 over the others of the class, which all got Bulleid cylinders, 30863 being the only one to retain the Maunsell cylinders to the BR end c1962. It has a different deflector shape to accommodate the Maunsell steam pipes and thus would be the best to use for adding deflectors to SR 851 'Sir Francis Drake'.... I presume.

I find this kind of detail a great credit to the Hornby production team.

30850_LN_Nelson_Image8_2ab_r1500.jpg.49a48bd9b9cfbfc648d618d163a62195.jpg

30850_Lord_Nelson_portrait12_8abcd_r1500.jpg.b61280354ffc0020c93f36d2ee08c578.jpg

Edited by robmcg
more detail in script
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 15/03/2019 at 17:29, GeoffBird said:

30853 Sir Richard Grenville also retained its Maunsell cylinders until February 1958 so could also have been produced instead of Lord Rodney. 

Here's a picture from 1956  - https://railphotoprints.uk/p1018623573/e479bf271

Edited by RFS
  • Informative/Useful 1