Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

Picked up my Rodney yesterday. First thing I noticed is how light it is. Not yet had a chance to put a decent load behind it, but wondered if anyone else had.

Edited by JZ
Grammar
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Southern version is a little light footed and lacks the grunt of for instance Hornby’s airsmoothed MN.Max.load on my layout is seven Maunsell and a Pullman,for which it does need a lot of current from the Gaugemaster .

It’s ok but could be better with added weight IMHO.

29 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Southern version is a little light footed and lacks the grunt of for instance Hornby’s airsmoothed MN.Max.load on my layout is seven Maunsell and a Pullman,for which it does need a lot of current from the Gaugemaster .

It’s ok but could be better with added weight IMHO.

Both of my old Bachmann ones will pull around 9 Mk1s with ease. I'm looking forwards to comparing them when Rodney arrives. 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Member 980 said:

My Nelson arrived today, but with a big problem.  I could not get the box out of the sleeve!  After a few minutes of unequal struggle I finished up slitting the sleeve, lengthways!  Engine fine and works very well!

Same here today! Managed to get it out but with just a small accidental tear on the outer sleeve. 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Southern version is a little light footed and lacks the grunt of for instance Hornby’s airsmoothed MN

Much like the real thing then!

Many South Western men actually preferred the simpler N15 series which although only having 2 cylinders to the Nelsons 4, were better steamers plus easier to fire well - and what with the great depression of the 1930s, train weights never really got to the point where the Nelson's theoretically grater tractive effort would be utilised

Despite much tinkering by Maunsell, they never really lived up to their promise till Bulleid took over - and even then the arrival of the mans own pacific designs a few years later didn't give the nelsons much chance to shine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Despite much tinkering by Maunsell, they never really lived up to their promise till Bulleid took over - and even then the arrival of the mans own pacific designs a few years later didn't give the nelsons much chance to shine

There's one in the eye for Nelson

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Ding ding! Stop the bus! Should be arriving at your local model shop from today!

46696489944_e8226505c6_c.jpg

R3603TTS Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

32477594897_e461dd45c8_c.jpg

R3603TTS Rear by Derails Models, on Flickr

47366844182_57ae5bed0c_c.jpg

R3603TTS Side by Derails Models, on Flickr

(Still more training required on the camera, but these are of better quality than the last ones!)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And a last few from me - with all three 2018 announced locos now on the shelf, it's time for a family portrait...

46696745424_3cd62ff8d1_c.jpg

Lord Nelson Set - Full by Derails Models, on Flickr

33544041508_de443881e7_c.jpg

Lord Nelson Set - Rear by Derails Models, on Flickr

33544041158_a8de57b921_c.jpg

Lord Nelson Set - Full 2 by Derails Models, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Member 980 said:

My Nelson arrived today, but with a big problem.  I could not get the box out of the sleeve!  After a few minutes of unequal struggle I finished up slitting the sleeve, lengthways!  Engine fine and works very well!

I've had similar problems with a number of recent Hornby purchases (starting with the Class 31 Specials they did for Kernow). Mentioned it on the phone to Hornby Customer Services and got the same answer one always seems to from them when you have a problem "oh, have not heard about that".

All I can suggest is that you contact Hornby to advise them of the problem. If enough people contact them maybe they can get the factory to do something about it when they produce the sleeve.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

This is not new.I believe it is due to regulations with regard to packaging which are set by the Chinese .They stipulate that the contents must be secure...i.e too damned tightly enclosed.I raised the matter with Hornby with regard to the S15 model at Warley 3/4 years back.Suspect not a lot they can do about it.

On 18/03/2019 at 11:25, JZ said:

Picked up my Rodney yesterday. First thing I noticed is how light it is. Not yet had a chance to put a decent load behind it, but wondered if anyone else had.

2 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

I've had similar problems with a number of recent Hornby purchases (starting with the Class 31 Specials they did for Kernow). Mentioned it on the phone to Hornby Customer Services and got the same answer one always seems to from them when you have a problem "oh, have not heard about that".

All I can suggest is that you contact Hornby to advise them of the problem. If enough people contact them maybe they can get the factory to do something about it when they produce the sleeve.

Keith

Received Hornby Lord Rodney yesterday (from Rails - they maintained the vg offer price so really well done to them - usual disclaimer)

Post running in, I loaded it up to 10Bachmann Mk1s and 2 Hornby Maunsells - just a trace of slipping on around 1 in 80  and an average scale cct speed of around 65mph with that load on at 12v.

I too had the tight sleeve problem (but first time for me)  - I tried running a ruler round inside sleeve just in case it was "stiction" but without success - so (a tip for next time) I got a smaller box (e.g. earlier Bachmann), dampened fingers (improves friction), hold Hornby sleeve and use one's stomach to press the smaller box onto end of inner box and into sleeve. (no it isn't dignified  - the mind boggles  at the image but it works !!) That presses the inner thro the sleeve and once it is about 1/3 out  you can pull it the rest of the way as per normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, lochlongside said:

Received Hornby Lord Rodney yesterday (from Rails - they maintained the vg offer price so really well done to them - usual disclaimer)

Post running in, I loaded it up to 10Bachmann Mk1s and 2 Hornby Maunsells - just a trace of slipping on around 1 in 80  and an average scale cct speed of around 65mph with that load on at 12v.

I too had the tight sleeve problem (but first time for me)  - I tried running a ruler round inside sleeve just in case it was "stiction" but without success - so (a tip for next time) I got a smaller box (e.g. earlier Bachmann), dampened fingers (improves friction), hold Hornby sleeve and use one's stomach to press the smaller box onto end of inner box and into sleeve. (no it isn't dignified  - the mind boggles  at the image but it works !!) That presses the inner thro the sleeve and once it is about 1/3 out  you can pull it the rest of the way as per normal.

Any chance of a video? :lol:

• Funny 3

17 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Many South Western men actually preferred the simpler N15 series which although only having 2 cylinders to the Nelsons 4, were better steamers plus easier to fire well - and what with the great depression of the 1930s, train weights never really got to the point where the Nelson's theoretically grater tractive effort would be utilised

Despite much tinkering by Maunsell, they never really lived up to their promise till Bulleid took over - and even then the arrival of the mans own pacific designs a few years later didn't give the nelsons much chance to shine.

Very true, being small in number and being hard to fire didn't help. They were pretty good engines in the end nevertheless. Bert Hooker liked them.  I'm not sure how they were were starting a heavy train, I wonder if the exhaust-beats being 'smoother' helped or hindered, or didn't matter?

Here below are two of the pics from Dan of Derails (if he doesn't mind) showing the differences in smokebox and other bits, 30863 having the shorter piano-style front and original Maunsell cylinders. 

30850_LN_NELSON_Image1abcdef_r1582.jpg.9eda98d6b17367dec52047a3b492ea9b.jpg

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abcdef_r1500.jpg.d4f4c0804158c3201477b068e0cbe07c.jpg

Hope you don't mind, Dan, lovely to see these models in the shops!   :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

i am pleased to report that I have managed to buy four second-hand books today all about Lord Nelsons; Peter Swift's 'Locomotives in Detail 8 Lord Nelson' , the Irwell Richard Derry The Book of the Lord Nelsons - A Photographic Accompaniment: 2, (I already have the Irwell Book of)..

also D W Winworths 'Maunsell's Nelsons', and the piece de resistance , 'The Lord Nelson Four cylinder 4-6-0 Locomotive' by Mr R.E.L.Maunsell from 1930.  

Although I don't know how good any of them are, the Irwell Richard Derry 'Book of the Lord Nelson 4-6-0s' is very good and much-read by me.

I also have SR 851, BR 30863 and BR 30850 all on their way to NZ.

Last evening I read a couple of chapters in books by O S Nock from 1945-6 one of which described a boat train wedged between two sections of 'The Royal Wessex' from Southampton to Waterloo, all three hauled by Nelsons and all with 3 minutes of each other, or less at times, often at 60mph+.  The speeds weren't spectacular but the enginemanship was superb, with double-yellow signals sighted continually ahead,  and all three arriving within a minute or so of booked time.  That's an aspect of steam railways not often mentioned.  

As usual O S Nock mentions the crews, the scenery, the two 'Queens' being usually on time when docking, and the various things like boat trains being a No.2 link job usually, where things could be unpredictable and engines sometimes run down.

Clearly the Nelsons were great engines!  <g>

A telling part of one chapter was a run on 862 which was severely run-down at the end of WW2  and rode and ran very badly, but still steamed and pulled well with 435 tons upgrade at 60+mph, contrasting with other runs where the engines were smooth.  He commented on the short length of the cabs though, not so good for a third man!

He also described some inexplicably poor runs, the mystery being that sometimes they ran brilliantly one day and were out of steam on the same work the next day.   Personally I think Southern firemen didn't like GWR-style firing style with a 'haycock' of soft coal,   and maybe the shape of the grate made it tricky.....  :)

I should note that his best run was in 1937 with a single-chimney 854  on a Paris sleeping car train which made better than 60mph averages with a 440-ton express to Folkestone after severe delays, Staplehurst to Westenhanger at an average of 68.2mph uphill with 75mph through Ashford!

Edited by robmcg
corrections

• RMweb Gold

Rob.Sorry for the pedantry but The Royal Wessex dates from 1951,the Festival Of Britain year.and IIRC was a Bulleid Pacific job with a rake of crimson & cream new Mk 1’s.Sometime later it was hauled by both the ex LMR 10000/1 and Bulleid diesels on occasion.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Rob.Sorry for the pedantry but The Royal Wessex dates from 1951,the Festival Of Britain year.and IIRC was a Bulleid Pacific job with a rake of crimson & cream new Mk 1’s.Sometime later it was hauled by both the ex LMR 10000/1 and Bulleid diesels on occasion.

Indeed.

Usually a MN (from the outset) but later sometimes the Mainline Diesels took charge.

Coaches changed to green with the later "regionalisation" but still with a MN up front.

(From an A-Z of famous express trains)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 22:20, robmcg said:

Very true, being small in number and being hard to fire didn't help. They were pretty good engines in the end nevertheless. Bert Hooker liked them.  I'm not sure how they were were starting a heavy train, I wonder if the exhaust-beats being 'smoother' helped or hindered, or didn't matter?

Here below are two of the pics from Dan of Derails (if he doesn't mind) showing the differences in smokebox and other bits, 30863 having the shorter piano-style front and original Maunsell cylinders. 

30850_LN_NELSON_Image1abcdef_r1582.jpg.9eda98d6b17367dec52047a3b492ea9b.jpg

30863_LN_Nelson_R3635_1abcdef_r1500.jpg.d4f4c0804158c3201477b068e0cbe07c.jpg

Hope you don't mind, Dan, lovely to see these models in the shops!   :)

Hope you don't mind folks? I have posted elsewhere (Wanted) to ask if anyone has a Lord Nelson but would like the early emblem tender? I ask as I am getting a Rodney and would prefer the late emblem tender (to swap?) I know I can change the emblem etc but...…….

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2019 at 04:55, phil-b259 said:

Their everyday performance may not have set the world (or lineside) on fire, but their overall reliability was probably second to none until the advent of the BR Std 5s.