Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

My Lord Nelson with TTS sound came today and it certainly looks impressive. 

Having had a little play with the sounds, there are a good amount of functions with recordings that sound like they have come from the actual loco as opposed to "generic steam loco" which a lot of the TTS chips have. It is no doubt let down by the fact that you can only play two of these great sounds at once.

Another drawback also being that you cannot sync the "chuff rate" therefore no 8 beats per revolution :( 

Out of the box it was up on full volume leading to sounds being very tinny and distorting when playing the whistle for example. 

For now I am tempted to keep the loco how it is but part of me is tempted to prise the chip and speaker out, sell them on Ebay and then visit YouChoos for a suitable replacement. Unless anyone else can suggest a different supplier that does a Lord Nelson sound chip?

Cheers

Pete 

On 26/03/2019 at 20:04, JSpencer said:

My Lord Rodney arrived today. Fine model indeed and the box while being a little hard was easier than some of Hattons P class.

Below is comparison with the Bachmann one, Lord Nelson him self.  Now being a battleship fan, HMS Nelson and HMS Rodney formed a pair as the only members of that class. HMS Rodney taking out the Bismarck with HMS King George V. So this one reason for choosing the this particular loco.

A second reason was because, the Hornby Lord Rodney retains many of the Maunsell front end features (shorter smokebox, external blast pipes, the original bogie) while the Bachmann Lord Nelson represents a complete  Bulleid condition.

Overall, the Hornby model has more fine fitted detail, though much of this are in any places not easy to see at a glance, it runs better as one would expect, has more pick ups and comes with DCC mod cons including speaker space and other mod cons like NEM sockets, a proper drawbar etc. 

That said, one can place Bachmann model on the layout with it and it does not look at all out of place. The only immediate eyesaws being the coal and lack of hole down the chimney. After that, the next feature are really the detail differences between the two front ends.

Pulling wise, the new loco is a tad lighter than the old but actually haulage was surprisingly the same. On my relatively flat layout (some slight inclines due to undulations and it not being 100% level) she performed as follows:

Max load with ease (not pushing the parts to wear out quickly -> 9 coaches (4 Bachmann Mk1, 1 Hornby Mk 1, 4 Bulleids)

Max load with no slipped 10 coaches (an extra Bachmann mk1)

Max load with slipping only at the start 11 coaches (another Bachy Mk1)

Max load with some slipping as she travels 12 coaches (yet another bachy mk1)

The only issue to note was the tender coupling hook being a tad lower the coach coupling hook.

Some pictures:

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

Astonishing how far out Bachmann was with the Lemaitre chimney location and its shape.

Markits must have made a fortune in brass replacements.

Otherwise it was an excellent model for its time.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2019 at 14:20, PeteN92 said:

My Lord Nelson with TTS sound came today and it certainly looks impressive. 

Having had a little play with the sounds, there are a good amount of functions with recordings that sound like they have come from the actual loco as opposed to "generic steam loco" which a lot of the TTS chips have. It is no doubt let down by the fact that you can only play two of these great sounds at once.

Another drawback also being that you cannot sync the "chuff rate" therefore no 8 beats per revolution :( 

Out of the box it was up on full volume leading to sounds being very tinny and distorting when playing the whistle for example. 

For now I am tempted to keep the loco how it is but part of me is tempted to prise the chip and speaker out, sell them on Ebay and then visit YouChoos for a suitable replacement. Unless anyone else can suggest a different supplier that does a Lord Nelson sound chip?

Cheers

Pete 

I've had exactly the same experience. Am now just finishing the installation of the Youchoos LN decoder. I don't like sound coming from the tender so I'm fitting the speaker in the smoke-box but leaving all the rest of the gubbins in the tender. Easy installation as I've wired the decoder directly in amd removed the Hornby speaker. Am still working on getting 8 beats per revolution but it's easily tweakable.

Luke

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

593500331_LNDCC1.jpg.6d7791262b5c5147bf688851895d087c.jpg

General install pic

1372425336_LNDCC2.jpg.2e157500496cd510829ccf73df1a1e61.jpg

Picture of Youchoos IceCube 28x18x10 double speaker in smokebox, smooth fit with just a bit of a push to get it home. I'd made mock-ups of 13mm and 11m but only when I cut the latter down to 10mm was all well. The length inside the smokebox is about 30mm.

LN_DCC_3.jpg.304a1f7f6cd7893bd5b586ca28b6e558.jpg

Pic trying to show the speaker in the smokebox and how it connects to the rest of the installation...

Hope this helps / inspires!.

Luke

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 30/03/2019 at 20:41, Forester said:

Astonishing how far out Bachmann was with the Lemaitre chimney location and its shape.

Markits must have made a fortune in brass replacements.

Otherwise it was an excellent model for its time.

Be careful on criticising the location; the picture you quote is comparing the short smokebox Rodney with the long smokebox Nelson, so this says nothing about Bachmann's chimney positioning.

Shapes do look different, Hornby seems much finer

On 30/03/2019 at 21:19, Hilux5972 said:

It still makes me wonder why Hornby don’t make smoke deflectors on any model Etched Brass. The Nelson ones do seem particularly fine but etched would be so much finer. 

Probably ........... but a plastic moulding can have a half-round beaded edge that you'd not achieve with an etching !

Edited by Wickham Green
speeling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:52, barrymx5 said:
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:43, melmerby said:

What was fiddly about it?

I thought there was plenty of room.

Keith

Yes plenty of room. But in order to remove the tender body you need to unplug the micro plug which connects to the loco. Additionally when you replace the rear bogie to the tender the wires to the pick up on the wheels need to be positioned carefully to avoid trapping them under the bogie fixing screw.

I read this and thanks for the warning. However, having read somewhere about using the plastic package insert as a 'cradle' I decided to use that idea to fit the tender decoder to Rodney (not a sound system) and it worked a treat. Put loco in packaging and invert; unfold/undo the 'cradle'; no need to unplug loco and tender as loco sits in cradle quite safely; unscrew the rear bogie; access the tender body screw (rear) and replace bogie (not fully screwed home); undo front tender body screw. Repack loco; invert again so all correct way up; unpack loco and lift off tender top carefully; Robert is then your parental sibling.

I fitted a simple Gaugemaster 21 pin with 8 pin harness and tucked it in the speaker space. Place tender top back on and repack. Sort of reverse the above method to rejoin the bits and tighten the rear bogie checking the pickups are OK etc. Play with loco.

Nice and easy and that is a change for me so thanks for the two ideas folks.

Phil

P.S. Loco runs like a dream straight away (NCE). I had run it in on DC and oiled lightly as advised by Hornby.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:25, JZ said:

Picked up my Rodney yesterday. First thing I noticed is how light it is. Not yet had a chance to put a decent load behind it, but wondered if anyone else had.

8 Baccy Guvs and three coaches; (two Baccy Bulleids and a Baccy MK1 Buffet).  No problems anywhere but I do have the luxury of most curves being 36" minimum.

P

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 04:55, phil-b259 said:

Much like the real thing then!

Many South Western men actually preferred the simpler N15 series which although only having 2 cylinders to the Nelsons 4, were better steamers plus easier to fire well - and what with the great depression of the 1930s, train weights never really got to the point where the Nelson's theoretically grater tractive effort would be utilised

Despite much tinkering by Maunsell, they never really lived up to their promise till Bulleid took over - and even then the arrival of the mans own pacific designs a few years later didn't give the nelsons much chance to shine.

As you probably all know they all were allocated to Eastleigh in the last few years and were so placed by Mr Townrow so that crews could learn how to get the best out of them and then they were reliable and quick on the 'Boats'. Sadly that was only for two to three years. They were also popular on fast fitted Banana Trains from Southampton and even got to Exeter with these on occasion. Other workings were Waterloo to Salisbury on busy commuter turns and speedy 'locals'. However the Modified  Bulleid Pacifics were proving so successful that the Nelsons were finally redundant. Bit of a shame that they were never as successful as their G w R and LMS counterparts, the Kings and the Scots. 

Phil:swoon::crazy_mini:

Edited by Mallard60022
Unable to get my digits to write the full G - R
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

8 Baccy Guvs and three coaches; (two Baccy Bulleids and a Baccy MK1 Buffet).  No problems anywhere but I do have the luxury of most curves being 36" minimum.

P

I've had seven now, bit of a hotch-potch though, 3 Thompson non-corridor, two Gresley 61' and a couple of xGWR Monsters. Took the 1:40 return slope between levels OK, but did slip a bit when restarting. Need to get out for a decent running session and compare it with my Bachmann one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I promise I will go away soon. May I just double check that:

Nelson has a longer smokebox than Rodney?

Nelson has Bulleid Cylinders and Rodney has the originals?

Many thanks

Phil

Yes. Exactly.   

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

GER Kings ? .............................. so successful I've never heard of them ! ( OK it's only the next key on yer qwerty.)

Oooops. Must be that my digits just cant type G - R :biggrin_mini::tease:

• RMweb Gold

I can't for the life of me see the point of putting a sound decoder in a loco that doesn't have the main characteristic of that loco, in this case 8 beats per wheel revolution.

It looks from the photos to be a nicely detailed premium model, to then go and spoil it by putting a cheap old sound decoder in it giving totally the wrong sound would seem to be a bit of an own goal.

Edited by PhilH
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilH said:

I can't for the life of me see the point of putting a sound decoder in a loco that doesn't have the main characteristic of that loco, in this case 8 beats per wheel revolution.

It looks from the photos to be a nicely detailed premium model, to then go and spoil it by putting a cheap old sound decoder in it giving totally the wrong sound would seem to be a bit of an own goal.

I think we all make the mistake of viewing things from our own ideals......and mine certainly is not TTS........but to install a LokSound decoder ,If such exists,would have the multitude doubled up with acute price gripe. I would indeed like that option ( Yes you can run them on dc analogue ) but Hornby deem TTS to be the way to put much needed cash under the pillow.So be it.We need a cash rich Hornby Meanwhile do enjoy the syncopation.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I have already been in touch with Hornby some time ago and asked if they will consider supplying Nelson without the TTS. At the time I received a positive response intimating that 'they' would consider this carefully once the initial batch has been distributed.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I think we all make the mistake of viewing things from our own ideals......and mine certainly is not TTS........but to install a LokSound decoder ,If such exists,would have the multitude doubled up with acute price gripe. I would indeed like that option ( Yes you can run them on dc analogue ) but Hornby deem TTS to be the way to put much needed cash under the pillow.So be it.We need a cash rich Hornby Meanwhile do enjoy the syncopation.

TTS sound for Railroad level models is OK, however there should be the option, for the more serious modeller that desires a more authentic sound system, to obtain a model such as this, at this level of detail, just DCC ready.

Phil

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Rob. probably mentioned way back but I couldn't spot it. That helps with any renumbering I might be considering.

Phil

Possibly worth repeating , 30863 was the only BR Nelson to retain Maunsell cylinders to the end, and is thus the only useful donor for deflectors for a 1930s version.  As I understand it. I can't imagine they will be sold as spares though.... unless miracles happen.

Of course some do modelling and make and alter such things...  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

34 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Possibly worth repeating , 30863 was the only BR Nelson to retain Maunsell cylinders to the end, and is thus the only useful donor for deflectors for a 1930s version.  As I understand it. I can't imagine they will be sold as spares though.... unless miracles happen.

Of course some do modelling and make and alter such things...  :)

I should note that I am attempting to produce a 3d model of these for 3d printing purposes. If this is successful, I shall release the model under an open source licence for others to modify/have printed as they see fit (provided that the modified files or printed objects themselves retain the open source licence).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

TTS sound for Railroad level models is OK, however there should be the option, for the more serious modeller that desires a more authentic sound system, to obtain a model such as this, at this level of detail, just DCC ready.

Phil

I think the next production batch does consist of l/c versions without TTS chips.Yes tbh TTS tarnishes the impact but what can you do if they are besotted by it ? Dis”chuffed”....

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Not surprising. 30850 was always going to be the most popular model, being BR Late crest and preserved. Hornby have included TTS and marked up accordingly. They also did this with Duchess City of Birmingham, and Clun Castle (albeit with ful fat Loksound decoder and a £100+ mark up).

I do feel that having a split batch at the very least (some sound, some not) would be best for the customer. I have not ordered Lord Nelson as I really don't want another TTS chip. Whats worse is that it fails to have 8 bests per wheel rev. It is therefore even more wrong than normal TTS chips.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Not surprising. 30850 was always going to be the most popular model, being BR Late crest and preserved. Hornby have included TTS and marked up accordingly. They also did this with Duchess City of Birmingham, and Clun Castle (albeit with ful fat Loksound decoder and a £100+ mark up).

I do feel that having a split batch at the very least (some sound, some not) would be best for the customer. I have not ordered Lord Nelson as I really don't want another TTS chip. Whats worse is that it fails to have 8 bests per wheel rev. It is therefore even more wrong than normal TTS chips.

I regret having to say that I was not overwhelmed by the knowledge and experience when noting the work of the sound 'engineer' working at Hornby during that TV programme. I am sure he is a fine gentleman, but I suspect his access to realistic sound files, possible background in working with steam locomotives and to equipment enabling top rate programmes/files, is really limited. 

P