Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

8 hours ago, Jack P said:

Just checking here first, Rodney would not be correct for a renumber to 862 'Lord Collingwood' would it? Outside steam pipes coming through the deflectors is a issue on the model, but probably wouldn't be too hard to fix, just checking there's nothing else I should be aware of? (smokebox etc)

On an unrelated note, Were any of the LN's still in wartime black except for Rodney towards the end of 1947?

Hi Jack,

Referring to my copy of 'Locomotives in detail,  the LNs' , Bulleid cylinders were fitted to the following locos. post 1947.  853, 2/58, 858,1/51, 861,11/47, 864,5/48. These locos received Bulleid green livery in 6/47,4/46,11/47, and 1/47 respectively. Prior to the green, all were Bulleid black from the early 1940's, I can be more specific if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

30863 currently on offer for less than £100 at Kernow.

Thanks for the info.

Strange that at that price it doesn't appear on their "Bargain" tab; but all is revealed when the item code is searched!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hi Jack,

Referring to my copy of 'Locomotives in detail,  the LNs' , Bulleid cylinders were fitted to the following locos. post 1947.  853, 2/58, 858,1/51, 861,11/47, 864,5/48. These locos received Bulleid green livery in 6/47,4/46,11/47, and 1/47 respectively. Prior to the green, all were Bulleid black from the early 1940's, I can be more specific if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks Peter, I was hoping I could backdate Rodney, but it seems it was pretty unique, so that's dead in the water!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jack P said:

Thanks Peter, I was hoping I could backdate Rodney, but it seems it was pretty unique, so that's dead in the water!

853 or 864 not fit the bill Jack?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, jamespetts said:

Rats: I seem to have missed this. Back to full price now.

Edit: However, Rails of Sheffield seem to have them for circa £110.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to buy.

I'm pretty certain that you'll see these discounts again when they release the two further BR variants later this year.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Grammar
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Black 5 Bear. I am forcing myself not to purchase the 'actual' Nelson with TTS at an attractive reduced price and awaiting the version without TTS that will appear later at a reduced price.

Phil

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

Excuse the overexposure, I've just finished off my repaint/backdate of Lord Rodney

48256586652_78502479f1_b.jpg

Still needs a few little bits (mainly snifters) and some slightly heavier weathering, but it's all in one piece now. Thanks to @45568 for encouraging me, and helping me find the right prototype!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

A super job you have made of that Jack, I think. I like the contrast between the somewhat glossy black and bright brightwork and the very matt effect on the smokebox and cylinders.

Can I ask did you cut off the smokebox number plate from the door? Assuming so, is that easy to do? I’ve been a bit reluctant to try it but to backdate a BR loco as you have done here it would be a “must do”. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Compound1000 said:

A super job you have made of that Jack, I think. I like the contrast between the somewhat glossy black and bright brightwork and the very matt effect on the smokebox and cylinders.

Can I ask did you cut off the smokebox number plate from the door? Assuming so, is that easy to do? I’ve been a bit reluctant to try it but to backdate a BR loco as you have done here it would be a “must do”. 

Thank you!

I think the contrast works nicely too, it's amazing how many shades (tints?) of black there are on a black loco!

I do cut the numberplate off, as you say it is a 'must do'. I use a new sharp scalpel and score around it, and then eventually cut deeper, until you strat getting through it, you can tidy the area up with sandpaper and a fibreglass pencil. Some diluted tamiya putty brushed on, and black paint really helps hide any sins. Most smokebox doors can be taken off to make this job easier, I usually break the glue with the hard end of  a paintbrush and tap the door off from the inside. You're much less likely to damage things on the front of it this way. Some doors are trickier than others, I backdated a BR E4 and that left a gaping hole, so I had to fill that and rebuild the smokebox strap, not wildly difficult, but fiddly, frustrating and time consuming (like most things in this hobby).

HTH!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know / your thoughts please ...

Is there a plan to produce 30850 LN in DC only - blanking plate in place of DCC sound chip presumably?

Would there be a market to sell the sound chip, and convert a DCC sound 30850 LN to DC only?

Al.

Rails did have some Lord Nelson's with the TTS removed a few weeks back, but I think they've already sold out.

A late crest, AWS fitted version R3733 Robert Blake is due for release in October this year.

Hope this assists you in your quest. 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Mistakes
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Does anyone know / your thoughts please ...

Is there a plan to produce 30850 LN in DC only - blanking plate in place of DCC sound chip presumably?

Would there be a market to sell the sound chip, and convert a DCC sound 30850 LN to DC only?

Al.

So what might you consider to be an asking price ?  By the time you pay eBay fees,postage,hassle etc.hardly worth the effort tbh. Would you buy one ?  Wait a bit and the price will drop anyway.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As a "non sound" DCC operator, any release so fitted has to personally be a no-no. This is really a shame as 30850, just DCC Ready could well have been a definite acquisition but at present I cannot justify the purchase of something with features for which I have no use.

There must be many customers out there who are entirely satisfied with this particular model as produced. However, one wonders if sales figures  reflect positively to what might be considered a somewhat restrictive form of marketing of an individual model. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Right Away said:

As a "non sound" DCC operator, any release so fitted has to personally be a no-no. This is really a shame as 30850, just DCC Ready could well have been a definite acquisition but at present I cannot justify the purchase of something with features for which I have no use.

You could always buy a sound fitted model cheap (as some of the larger retailers have been selling them off recently) Remove the chip and sell it on. There will be someone who has a non fitted model who wants it.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

You could always buy a sound fitted model cheap (as some of the larger retailers have been selling them off recently) Remove the chip and sell it on. There will be someone who has a non fitted model who wants it.

Discussed in several posts above.However,it is possible to run on dc without TTS sound operating. Or rather should be possible as there is discussion on the Hornby Class 60 thread where one member cannot operate his newly acquired red "tug" WITHOUT removing the chip.So the issue atm might be slightly clouded.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So what might you consider to be an asking price ?  By the time you pay eBay fees,postage,hassle etc.hardly worth the effort tbh. Would you buy one ?  Wait a bit and the price will drop anyway.

It is a difficult one I know.

Putting your 'hard earned' into something, having selected the specific model, but which has features you don't require.

There are so many extra charges on Ebay unless it's substantially less than a recognised outlet I won't consider it.

There are often 'deals' on Ebay you just cannot find so its relatively unavoidable.

I think Hornby should look to other manufacturers' ideas, like Dapol, offering DC, DCC and Sound options - that way we all get what we want.

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

One of the pro-active retailers advertising on this site - Rails, and definitely one of my favourites - has just 'answered my polite requests' and made a few 30850's available 'DCC Ready' with blanking plates.

I see mention that it had been done a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't noticed at the time. Glad I have now.

Definitely believe Hornby are missing a trick or 3 here - should make several named / numbered variants available but in all 3 levels of 'trim'.

Just snapped one up.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Discussed in several posts above.However,it is possible to run on dc without TTS sound operating. Or rather should be possible as there is discussion on the Hornby Class 60 thread where one member cannot operate his newly acquired red "tug" WITHOUT removing the chip.So the issue atm might be slightly clouded.

And now has snowballed into the Big Issue  on the relevant thread with a posting by member Widnes Model Centre to the effect that there are indeed difficulties with the Tugs TTS chip on DC...i e they won’t move.

Over to Big H in the morning,apparently. 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Incorrect attribution
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:52, Right Away said:

Reference to a photograph (attached) in the 1959 ABC Combined Volume shows "Rodney" at what is most certainly Oxford with the early crest, water treatment triangle and no power classification on the cabside.

(Note the term "shortened smokebox" might be better stating "orginal" as it was never shortened as such, but never lengthened as the loco retained its original Maunsell cylinders with 8" valves.)

It would appear Hornby have generally got it "spot on" with their rendition of the livery.

Not certain of any addition made to the tender tops of Nelsons fitted with the water treatment but the model has such an impressive presence, I can happily live without any.

image1_1557916157274.jpeg.1195db52a51edf2f28795489bf74b5bc.jpeg

This photo would have to be pre-November 57, when it received it's second totem.  According to Peter Swift, many locos carried no water treatment symbol latterly. The 8" valves were standard for the first three sets of Bulleid cylinders, in the above case without an extended smokebox. 

Perhaps the reason that Hornby's Rodney is selling so badly was that is in an almost unique condition in BR green (apart from 30853 1950-58) and lost its early crest relatively early. 30851 and 30852 are similarly unique for their latter years but for differing reasons. And why not do 30853, with early crest, leaving Rodney to be done later with the late emblem? Strange logic.

I'm surprised they didn't start with locos with standard features before moving on to the more eclectic.

By the time Hornby get round to the Lords Collingwood, Anson & St Vincent, the market will have moved on to other 'must-haves'.

Edited by Chuffed 1
spelling!
  • Agree 1