Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

As fine a model as the L/N is,

(I've purchased 2 so far) I personally think that the second phase releases this year will suffer the same fate of significant discounts, coming shortly after the 6 week Hornby 10% maximum discount period.

I will certainly be purchasing at least another 2 as and when !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Mistakes
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

An interesting observation and query: were the centre bosses of the wheels on the olive green locomotives black or green? My two Hornby models have the centre bosses black as seen here:

48375749177_c15cb24a40_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson with 3d printed smoke deflectors (version 1) by James Petts, on Flickr

However, I have seen at least one photograph of a Hornby olive green model with the centre bosses green (source here):

r3634_ds_5.jpg

and this colour photograph of no. 852 in olive green also shows green bosses:

6855723511_22342c2f4d_b.jpgBournemouth West Station, Queen's Road, Bournemouth, Dorset by Alwyn Ladell, on Flickr

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jamespetts said:

An interesting observation and query: were the centre bosses of the wheels on the olive green locomotives black or green? My two Hornby models have the centre bosses black as seen here:

48375749177_c15cb24a40_h.jpgHornby Lord Nelson with 3d printed smoke deflectors (version 1) by James Petts, on Flickr

However, I have seen at least one photograph of a Hornby olive green model with the centre bosses green (source here):

r3634_ds_5.jpg

and this colour photograph of no. 852 in olive green also shows green bosses:

6855723511_22342c2f4d_b.jpgBournemouth West Station, Queen's Road, Bournemouth, Dorset by Alwyn Ladell, on Flickr

852 looks to have green bosses with black axle ends - like the model of 851 with deflectors.

I think all the production models have black driving axle centres but sellers' photos don't make it very clear, flat studio multi-angle lighting doesn't help.  here are some samples of retailers' photos.

I think all these have black axle centres,  are there not pictures further back in this thread?

851_Nelson_R3634_r800.jpg.e155200e9441a41e7269303a814101ab.jpg

851_Nelson_R3634EDTMC-2_r900.jpg.1f926b81ba83d30e33035716cad9bc96.jpg

851_nelson_r1800.jpg.3c2f02f812fdd254826abf1d0065a067.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if the prototypes varied, too.  Cheers.

p12-13-14 have pictures of newly-purchased  851s all have black centres.

Edited by robmcg
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
On 09/11/2019 at 15:17, Robin Brasher said:

Hattons and Rails are offering big discounts on Lord Nelsons. Recommended retail price of analogue version is £169.99. Hattons are offering R3534 Sir Francis Drake for £124 while Rails is offering it for £101.50.

How much for the malachite green version ...............

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

How much for the malachite green version ...............

Advertised on the Rails website for £109.50 plus p+p.

I bought one earlier in the year for £95 from Model Railways Direct.

A superb model, you won't be disappointed.

There appears to be plenty in stock around the country, so a post Christmas sale check maybe in order.

24 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Advertised on the Rails website for £109.50 plus p+p.

I bought one earlier in the year for £95 from Model Railways Direct.

A superb model, you won't be disappointed.

There appears to be plenty in stock around the country, so a post Christmas sale check maybe in order.

That's a very questionable shade of malashite ...........

• 2 weeks later...

I ran my Bachmann 855 Robert Blake and my Hornby 851 Sir Francis Drake with a rake of five Hornby Maunsell coaches last night on the Wimborne Railway Society test track.  I put them both on the same track and the Hornby model was slightly quicker than the Bachmann model.  They both looked splendid with matching olive green coaches.

007.JPG

008.JPG

011.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Last week my Hornby TTS equipped LN arrived from a major UK retailer that was advetised on special. Box and contents looked pristine on arrival.

But wheels would not turn, even with manual manipulation. Only found this out when I tried to run it. The motor was spinning okay I could hear. No damage to the coupling rods.

So took it apart and the motor was dislodged and there was no obvious connection from the motor to the worm gear. As if it was broken in the factory.

Any other reports of issues with this loco?

First time ever have I bought a loco with two fly wheels and I could not find a service sheet or strip down video on what I should be looking for.

20191201_224757.jpg

On 02/12/2019 at 10:44, AlexHolt said:

Don't have  LN but the Motor is the same as in the S15. Mechanism is almost identical too. Theres a small plastic drive bar thats supposed to go between the motor flywheel and the worm gear. Looks like its completely missing from yours. That is quite clearly broken on arrival from the factory and should be sent back to the retailer for an exchange with a working one with all the parts needed to make it move. 

Unfortunately its nearly impossible to get the spare part needed so a return is all that can be done. 

The universal coupling was found in the smoke box section.  I reinstated it and snapped the motor back into place. Ran it and it seems fine now.

I suspect the outer packing box was dropped, without damaging the box the loco came in, and dislodged the motor.

Fingers crossed

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a minor diversion.

49334613208_571c4db6e2_c.jpgIMG_0050 by Fred Hackman, on Flickr

Some ten years or more ago,  I had purchased a Bachmann "Lord Nelson",  available at that time only in BR green,  as I remember.  I made a fairly rough job of re-doing it in Maunsell's Southern green livery,  with coaled-up tender,  cast brass chimney,  and snifting valves faked up from a couple of small b.a. washers and some truncated Hornby brass whistles.  I made it up as "Robert Blake",  so I made sure to incorporate the residual steam-pipes which I believe poked through the smoke deflectors on that one machine.

Here it is in company with some other work-in-progress,  but particularly with the new Hornby "Sir Francis Drake".  Unquestionably the new model has more finesse and detail,  and it is altogether worthy of praise for this.  However,  the old stager shows up fairly well in this comparison from a distance of about eighteen inches.

auldreekie

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Has anyone managed to fit more weight to the Hornby LN?

I rolled up some lead and pushed it into the boiler, but the loco is still incredibly light on her feet. I've got some liquid lead, but I can't seem to get that in spots without getting it everywhere else!

48256427752_11cc311280_h.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Jack P said:

Has anyone managed to fit more weight to the Hornby LN?

I rolled up some lead and pushed it into the boiler, but the loco is still incredibly light on her feet. I've got some liquid lead, but I can't seem to get that in spots without getting it everywhere else!

48256427752_11cc311280_h.jpg

Can’t answer directly  as I havent got one but have you checked that the bogie isnt lifting the drivers? Had that with the new Duchess. Also I’m interested that you have fitted the steps and draincocks - whats your minimum radius curve (and will it go around it?!) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

This has no doubt been covered elsewhere in this thread but my 3306TTS Lord Nelson doesn't run on DC at all, as supplied. I've read a dozen or mare pages of posts but no answer to my question:

How can the model be altered to run on DC ?

Can this be changed by altering CVs or would I need to remove the chip and insert a blanking plug?

Can it be set to run on both DC and DCC ?

I just want smooth DC analogue running, don't care for sound, and have limited skill in body removal etc.

Lovely model though.

30850_LN_Nelson_portrait22_1a_Img_5137ab_r1800.jpg.3842639e7d0c44b9a5e9205ba53ccc7b.jpg

Sorry to be so pig ignorant.

Edited by robmcg
typo

• RMweb Premium

If I’m remembering correctly, the TTS decoders don’t allow DC running. Only way they could is to remove the decoder. I could be wrong but I believe that’s one of the drawbacks of the cheaper sound. 

• Thanks 1