Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

I notice that Hornby are bringing out another Nelson - this time ‘Robert Blake’ but do not appear to make a tts decoder available (other than the one fitted to ‘Lord Nelson’). 
I have today written to Hornby about this. Surely it would make sense to introduce one. I won’t buy another Hornby Nelson unless I can fit tts sound.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, paftrain said:

I notice that Hornby are bringing out another Nelson - this time ‘Robert Blake’ but do not appear to make a tts decoder available (other than the one fitted to ‘Lord Nelson’). 
I have today written to Hornby about this. Surely it would make sense to introduce one. I won’t buy another Hornby Nelson unless I can fit tts sound.

They are missing a trick here! Lots of TTS Chips are sold out, I’m sure they would sell a lot more with better supply and a wider range. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

They are missing a trick here! Lots of TTS Chips are sold out, I’m sure they would sell a lot more with better supply and a wider range. 

It's likely to do with Covid and SMT pcb populating factories capacity, I cant see them dropping the ball on TTS what with how popular it is  with those of us who have tight control on our wallets

4 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Totally agree on the especially on the wider range (though I do also take the point well made my Chrisr in his following post in regard of the supply issues).

There are a number of both steam and diesel classes which if a TTS were made available I am sure would sell like hot cakes.

Come to think of it - how about an electric for novelty value? I would jump at the chance of a TTS for Class 71, 73 or 87!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sarahagain said:

The class 73...

As it is an electro-diesel, the sound is different if the Diesel engine is running...

Quite a challenge for a TTS decoder? ;)

For a 73 You only need the sounds of :

1. Wind

2. Rail joints

3. occasional level crossing

4. two tones of someone breaking wind

5. door slam

unless of course its a CS class 73/9... thats a loud proposition.. it sounds like one of those generators used to hold up bouncy castles.

• 3 months later...

Long story relatively short ...

I finally got around to purchasing a 'good used' 30850 a couple of months ago.

Loco's much too light - and has a problem whereby the convoluted double flywheel arrangement fills space which could have been usefully filled with lead - more in the smokebox area, but weight distribution is out ... traction improved nevertheless, which is necessary for a prototypically powerful locomotive.

Main story - the tender.

It had some small glue marks, which I could remove, and did with very local, light fine 'sanding', but as they do one thing led to another ...  ... and have ended up respraying.

Main problem is the colour match.

Brunswick?  Nowhere near - too 'green'.

L-Rover Coniston Green - better, but again, too green - there's a lot of beige in the LN 'green'.

I don't have a spray gun, so cannot blend and spray - has to be 'rattle cans', but L-Rover again have +/- 'the answer' !!

EASTNOR GREEN.

Very slightly too much beige / light brown in the green but it's a very good and close match.

In case anyone else is looking / needing to do the same.

I've just received Fox's lining so will attempt that later on, dry, then fine lacquer perhaps tomorrow.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Forester said:

Gulp!

R3732 Sir Walter Raleigh now due Spring 2023?

When did that happen?

Looks like they may be pushing back stuff that's already delayed to free-up production slots for items that will be announced next week....

John 

3 hours ago, Forester said:

Gulp!

When did that happen?

Is it too much to hope that Hornby is having another think about the BR green? The finish on my Lord Rodney is one of the worst I have seen, which is a very great shame on what is otherwise a good model of an underrated prototype.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Looks like they may be pushing back stuff that's already delayed to free-up production slots for items that will be announced next week....

John 

Surely that could only happen if they are all made in the same factory, Hornby use quite a few different ones.

They don't want to get caught out as per Sanda Kan again.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Surely that could only happen if they are all made in the same factory, Hornby use quite a few different ones.

They don't want to get caught out as per Sanda Kan again.

Not necessarily, they could be reassigning slots at more than one, or even all, of the factories they now use.

John 

5 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Is it too much to hope that Hornby is having another think about the BR green? The finish on my Lord Rodney is one of the worst I have seen, which is a very great shame on what is otherwise a good model of an underrated prototype.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that score.

Hornby had the ideal opportunity to address the BR and GWR green on the most recent releases of their King class.

Yet again, they paid no attention to comment or customer feedback, producing another run of locos in their now customary insipid/washed out livery.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hornby had the ideal opportunity to address the BR and GWR green on the most recent releases of their King class.

Yet again, they paid no attention to comment or customer feedback, producing another run of locos in their now customary insipid/washed out livery.

The King is particularly bad but the latest Clan is much better so there is a glimmer of hope there.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2022 at 11:28, Forester said:

Gulp!

When did that happen?

And Sir Martin Frobisher for summer 2023, and a price increase of 10% this year from 187,- to 205,99, 

and another 18 months to go for release, it will be about 250,- or higher at the time it is on the market.

This way Hornby is loosing his confidence, 100,- price increase since original 153,- price anouncement at 2020,

when these were announced as new models for 2020.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

And Sir Martin Frobisher for summer 2023, and a price increase of 10% this year from 187,- to 205,99, 

and another 18 months to go for release, it will be about 250,- or higher at the time it is on the market.

This way Hornby is loosing his confidence, 100,- price increase since original 153,- price anouncement at 2020,

when these were announced as new models for 2020.

Or you wait for the inevitable price reductions. Some of the original release L/N locos remain unsold in some shops even though they've been heavily discounted.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Of course, all that customer feedback is from people old enough to see these locos running in the 1950s/early 60s and can remember that all BR green locos had the same uniform shade of the standard green paint.:D

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Or you wait for the inevitable price reductions. Some of the original release L/N locos remain unsold in some shops even though they've been heavily discounted.

Agreed, I got my Lord Rodney for ninety quid....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Of course, all that customer feedback is from people old enough to see these locos running in the 1950s/early 60s and can remember that all BR green locos had the same uniform shade of the standard green paint.:D

Not that old urban myth again. :rolleyes:

BR green was a set shade. There was no variation and it wasn't mixed in a big bath tub by an old bloke that had been on the ale the night before....

Any deviation on colour would have been a sacking offence and by the 1950s most paint was being bought in from the paint manufacturers anyway.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

BR green was a set shade. There was no variation and it wasn't mixed in a big bath tub by an old bloke that had been on the ale the night before....

Any deviation on colour would have been a sacking offence and by the 1950s most paint was being bought in from the paint manufacturers anyway.

Jason

On the day it was painted, yes, always assuming everybody stirred the paint as thoroughly as everybody else.

However, after a year or two of variable mixes of cleaning, weather, pollution and salt air, depending on where locos were shedded, it could and did "go off" in different directions.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I'm sorry but IMHO that's rubbish. It was a BS colour but preparation and age/location since painting made a difference.

e.g. How much rubbing down of old livery before for the new finishes are applied? What was underneath?

There was definitely an underlying GWR feel still in BR's Western Region, possibly more than the other companies elsewhere. Corporate BR took a long time to totally eradicate the "Big 4".

To me GWR locos never looked the same as an LMS loco of similar outline (say Castle & Jubilee) and it wasn't the brass & copper fittings that made the difference.

The green always looked brighter on a clean GWR loco, compared to a clean LMS loco.

I have seen on more than one occasion, two BR green locos side by side and they definitely weren't the same shade.

However, having never seen two from different paint shops just ex-works e.g. Derby & Swindon side by side, I couldn't say what they would be like.

Likewise I can't compare with SR & LNER locos in BR Green as I saw very few.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1