Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

I like that they are promising different chimneys, smokeboxes and saddles, and tenders. The Southern Railway version illustrated on their website shows the earlier tender style, narrow chimney and shorter smokebox, all of which were never modelled with the much earlier Bachmann model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like that they are promising different chimneys, smokeboxes and saddles, and tenders. The Southern Railway version illustrated on their website shows the earlier tender style, narrow chimney and shorter smokebox, all of which were never modelled with the much earlier Bachmann model.

Hopefully the other oddities as well: round topped firebox boiler and the smaller driving wheels - that one member of the class had.

Hopefully the other oddities as well: round topped firebox boiler and the smaller driving wheels - that one member of the class had.

.......... but not necessarily the same member ( Thank you Eric ! ) ............ then there's the little matter of Maunsell or Bulleid cylinders, 'piano fronts', short and long boilers ....... and, of course only one loco really ought to have the outside cranks at 90 degrees .................... but one thing they ALL had - and is conspicuous by its absence - is MALACHITE GREEN ( at one time or another ) !

Hopefully the other oddities as well: round topped firebox boiler a..........................  - that one member of the class had.

That would be a lot to tool up for one member which briefly ran as such in the pre-nationlisation era which is not popular. Surely you can do a cut and shut with a spare Schools boiler? :onthequiet:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ll b getting Lord Rodney. Growing up on my grandads tales of the Royal Navy these sea dogs and their names hold a special place in my heart.

Big james

FWIW - HMS Rodney pounded the Bismarck despite missing key sailors to operate her (she was on the way to the US for a major refit when she was called to action).

• Like 2

FWIW - HMS Rodney pounded the Bismarck despite missing key sailors to operate her (she was on the way to the US for a major refit when she was called to action).

I knew she was part of the fleet that took on the Bismarck but I didn’t know she was missing some important crew members and wasn’t even meant to be there. Thank you for the information.

Big james

• RMweb Gold

That would be a lot to tool up for one member which briefly ran as such in the pre-nationlisation era which is not popular. Surely you can do a cut and shut with a spare Schools boiler? :onthequiet:

Just for the completeness of the class.

I don't think you could just cut and shut a Schools boiler to do it.

I'm up for 'Lord Nelson', I even LIKE TTS sound, so that's OK.

Only problem is, my preference to fund it will be to sell;

post-20244-0-52708600-1515523023_thumb.gif

Professionally built/painted Craftsman model (builder/painter unknown), that I've owned from new for years and have upgraded to DCC.

Sadly, the wheelset is "fine" enough that it's not happy negotiating some of my layout tighter curves even at a 28" minimum, so is restricted running <sigh> lovely model, nicely finished, not very usable :(

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm up for 'Lord Nelson', I even LIKE TTS sound, so that's OK.

Only problem is, my preference to fund it will be to sell;

attachicon.gif30850-1.gif

Professionally built/painted Craftsman model (builder/painter unknown), that I've owned from new for years and have upgraded to DCC.

Sadly, the wheelset is "fine" enough that it's not happy negotiating some of my layout tighter curves even at a 28" minimum, so is restricted running <sigh> lovely model, nicely finished, not very usable :(

Well I'm not selling my Craftsman one, it was a nice kit to build, restored my faith in kit manufatures that there where kits that actually fitted together. A nice runner with a bulldog motor, but yes it is hard to get around curves 5' radius the minimum mine will do with the front steps fitted.

Img_4380.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So which locos had short smokeboxes vs long?

Did locos switch from one to the other and if so, when did this happen please?

Boiler 860 was the long barrel boiler (so shorter smokebox)

30860: 4/29 - 12/36 & 8/37 - 3/55

30855: 7/55 - 9/58

30852: 10/58 - 2/62* withdrawn & scrapped with this loco

Info from tables in Irwell Press's: The Book of the Lord Nelson 4-6-0's

Boiler 860 was the long barrel boiler (so shorter smokebox)

30860: 4/29 - 12/36 & 8/37 - 3/55

30855: 7/55 - 9/58

30852: 10/58 - 2/62* withdrawn & scrapped with this loco

Info from tables in Irwell Press's: The Book of the Lord Nelson 4-6-0's

Thanks toboldlygo, however 2 of the Hornby models have short smokeboxes so I guess there is a bit more to the picture.

No there isn't, just cross-checked the info with another book - Hornby have got carried away with photo-shopping.

There is photo (all CGI images) on their Facebooker page showing the three Admirals one above the other and its clear that one has a longer smokebox than the other two in front of the chimney.

There is photo (all CGI images) on their Facebooker page showing the three Admirals one above the other and its clear that one has a longer smokebox than the other two in front of the chimney.

Whatever photo-shopped or CG images they're publishing at this stage, Hornby have done their homework and have absolutely no excuse for creating an incorrect model - or three ! ........................ other than the underscale track gauge and those 'orrible things sticking out under the buffer planks, of course - though most people seem to accept those glaring errors ........

• RMweb Gold

Politely suggest you PM Paul Isles (Isley) and ask him why the images are wrong.

The information I have given you is correct, as to which LN's ran with the Long Boiler (860)/Short Smoke Box combination!  :angry:  :angry:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have got carried away with photo-shopping.

Personally I wish photo-shopping had never been invented. Until development has reached the point where there's a prototype to show, I would much prefer a photograph of the actual loco to be modeled, as long as the photo is of the actual loco not a class mate. To be accurate Hornby will need actual photographs anyway to base their model upon.

Careful photo-shopping for re-releases is also needed. I couldn't count the number of threads there are where we have questioned a model because the catalogue detail is wrong when in fact Hornby (or Bachmann etc.) have in fact developed the correct spec. This is where more detailed descriptions in the catalogue or online of what is to be produced would help.

Edited by brushman47544

Hopefully the other oddities as well: round topped firebox boiler ...

That would be a lot to tool up for one member which briefly ran as such in the pre-nationlisation era which is not popular. Surely you can do a cut and shut with a spare Schools boiler?

As  already noted not possible from a Schools or any other parallel boiler as it was double coned. The nearest thing to a suitable double coned round top would be from a larger LNER type, but these are all wide firebox and rather differently proportioned too so not really suitable.