Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

I’ll definitely be getting sir Walter Raleigh he was kind of a personal hero of mine when I was a child. I’m debating though still on whether to get Lord Rodney or get Lord Nelson and rip out the TtS chip & DCC stuff on the inside.

Big James

Edited by Big James

• RMweb Premium

I have tried the LN with a rake of Maunsell coaches.

The limit on my gradients is 8 vehicles and it is just starting to lose grip.

With 7 vehicles it romped up the incline and will start from a standstill without much slipping.

Keith

I’ll definitely be getting sir Walter Raleigh he was kind of a personal hero of mine when I was a child. I’m debating though still on whether to get Lord Rodney or get Lord Nelson and rip out the TtS chip & DCC stuff on the inside.

Big James

As the LNs are a personal fav I’ll be getting both, please include my wallet in your thoughts and prayers

Max 1:60 but mostly about 1:100.

The Bachmann Ivatt Atlantic only just manages 5 12 wheel Pullmans.

The Pullmans are a bit draggy with the contact springs on the axles.

I'll try it with some Maunsell coaches to see how it does.

Keith

I know it's not really related to the thread, but do you happen to have an H2 by any chance? Mine will manage 9 8 wheel Pullmans on a very slight grade/flat with absolutely no slipping, would be interested to know if you do have one, and how it does on an incline!

• RMweb Premium

M

I know it's not really related to the thread, but do you happen to have an H2 by any chance? Mine will manage 9 8 wheel Pullmans on a very slight grade/flat with absolutely no slipping, would be interested to know if you do have one, and how it does on an incline!

Mine is the GN Ivatt not the LBSC one although the chassis are AFAIK virtually (if not) the same.

This one:

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/ncim/bachmannnrm-exclusive-31-765nrm-ivatt-c1-atlantic-no3251-lner.htm

It will easily start 6 12 wheelers, maybe more but slips to a stop with them on a gradient.

It manages five, about on a par with the Nelson.

The 12 wheel Pullmans are a particularly stiff test due to the extra wheelsets as well as the contact springs.

As you can from my previous post the Nelson manages 8 Maunsells on the grade, so the Ivatt should be similar

In the video, the Nelson starts 5 12 wheelers plus 4 Maunsells without a problem.

Keith

Very pleased with my Sir Francis Drake. Tested it DC yesterday and one of the slowest running analogue locos I have seen.

Today I fitted the Hatton’s NEM 652 4 function decoder. Fiddly but not difficult. Runs even better now with Digitrax system.

post-4181-0-63680100-1547067777_thumb.jpeg

post-4181-0-50964500-1547067809_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I fitted the Hatton’s NEM 652 4 function decoder. Fiddly but not difficult. Runs even better now with Digitrax system.

What was fiddly about it?

I thought there was plenty of room.

Keith

Big James

I take it you liked chips...

...of the potato variety. :jester:

Most interesting fact I found about Sir Walter Raleigh was his wife carried his head around in a bag and got it out at dinner time. To the horror of all the other diners.  :bad:

Jason

What was fiddly about it?

I thought there was plenty of room.

Keith

Yes plenty of room. But in order to remove the tender body you need to unplug the micro plug which connects to the loco. Additionally when you replace the rear bogie to the tender the wires to the pick up on the wheels need to be positioned carefully to avoid trapping them under the bogie fixing screw.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes plenty of room. But in order to remove the tender body you need to unplug the micro plug which connects to the loco. Additionally when you replace the rear bogie to the tender the wires to the pick up on the wheels need to be positioned carefully to avoid trapping them under the bogie fixing screw.

I didn't remove the plug and the bogie went straight back without a problem.

keith

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

hi all, i'm having issues taking the tender of my LN.  the tender body is stuck solid, there is no give or movement at all, it's almost like some numpty in the factory has put a beed of glue round the edge of the tender body and stuck it down. i have removed the visible screw, taken the rear bogie off and removed the hidden screw. is there anything else to remove?

thanks

• RMweb Premium

hi all, i'm having issues taking the tender of my LN.  the tender body is stuck solid, there is no give or movement at all, it's almost like some numpty in the factory has put a beed of glue round the edge of the tender body and stuck it down. i have removed the visible screw, taken the rear bogie off and removed the hidden screw. is there anything else to remove?

thanks

Nope.

Mine just dropped apart once the two screw had been removed, so it sounds like a wayward spot of glue as you surmise.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Exquisite model. Beautiful paintwork and lining.Runs as quietly as a Swiss watch and looks the part on the move.Nicely represented valve gear and motion. Only reservation and one I think has already been noted and that is that it’s a bit light footed and lacks the grunt of for example the new airsmoothed MN ,Duchess and the Britannia .My “boat train” is 7 Hornby Maunsell and one Pullman and given both gradients and long curves that is its limit .This after period of running in.DC analogue.Overall this is a class act once again from Hornby

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Exquisite model. Beautiful paintwork and lining.Runs as quietly as a Swiss watch and looks the part on the move.Nicely represented valve gear and motion. Only reservation and one I think has already been noted and that is that it’s a bit light footed and lacks the grunt of for example the new airsmoothed MN ,Duchess and the Britannia .My “boat train” is 7 Hornby Maunsell and one Pullman and given both gradients and long curves that is its limit .This after period of running in.DC analogue.Overall this is a class act once again from Ho

I wonder whether there might be room for some extra ballast in the boiler area? It is IMHO not as heavy as it should be based on the overall bulk.

I shall have to investigate further.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I wonder whether there might be room for some extra ballast in the boiler area? It is IMHO not as heavy as it should be based on the overall bulk.

I shall have to investigate further.

Keith

Maybe so .One other possibility occurs and that is the matter of weight distribution.The LN is a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement with no carrying axle under the cab,unlike the three I quote in my post.Having said that,Hornby’s new King which has the same configuration is superior in terms of hauling capacity so probably not the issue.Just a thought anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Is it lighter than the old Bachmann one?

That could cope with nine Mk 1s in my experience. But equally not as heavy as the new Merchant Navy and Duchess (themselves lighter than the Britannia and Clan!) .

Depends if you are hauling on the level or up a gradient.

On the level more than nine coaches is no problem but it is challenged on the gradient as I mentioned earlier

Keith

• RMweb Gold

well turns out i was having a "moment". I turned the tender over and gentle pulled the sides of the tender away from the chassis, the chassis then fell away. it's almost like there where little lugs holding the body in place as well as the screws. What threw me was the fact the tender body was suppose to fall away.

anyway all sorted.

Nope.

Mine just dropped apart once the two screw had been removed, so it sounds like a wayward spot of glue as you surmise.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

well turns out i was having a "moment". I turned the tender over and gentle pulled the sides of the tender away from the chassis, the chassis then fell away. it's almost like there where little lugs holding the body in place as well as the screws. What threw me was the fact the tender body was suppose to fall away.

anyway all sorted.

Good

Maybe just a little sticky. It's always a bit disconcerting when something doesn't dismantle as you expect.

Then any over-zealous tugging could end up breaking something!

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Sir Francis Drake now joins Royal Mail as being too long for my Heljan turntable. No trouble with Light Pacific Bulleids, 7F, Black Five’s etc. Both SFD and RM have a facility to closer couple the tender but I was surprised that they then would not then take even the curves on the main line. And I had always thought the tightest was 24”.

Something prototypical about the length problem on my model railway as there are stories about having to split the real Lord Nelson from its tender for certain manoeuvres.post-4181-0-73150300-1548031287_thumb.jpeg