Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Sir Francis Drake now joins Royal Mail as being too long for my Heljan turntable. No trouble with Light Pacific Bulleids, 7F, Black Five’s etc. Both SFD and RM have a facility to closer couple the tender but I was surprised that they then would not then take even the curves on the main line. And I had always thought the tightest was 24”.

Something prototypical about the length problem on my model railway as there are stories about having to split the real Lord Nelson from its tender for certain manoeuvres.attachicon.gifC64836DE-CA88-4507-9990-05D86240AA65.jpeg

You’ll have to file a report to the CME. Meanwhile ensure your crews are prepared to allow splitting of loco and tender to avoid late running services. Any delays should be submitted in triplicate to operations in Waterloo explaining the issue. Similarly any double headed specials scheduled in the STN need to allow for excess time for servicing or schedule a trip working to a larger turning facility.

• RMweb Premium

Sir Francis Drake now joins Royal Mail as being too long for my Heljan turntable.

What scale length is the Heljan Turntable?

I had assumed they were 90' H0. (which is about 78' 6" in 00)

I have a Fleischmann 90' H0 Turntable and it fits with room to spare:

post-6208-0-71450200-1548096506_thumb.jpg

Keith

I rather like the Southern Railway version with no smoke deflectors.  Being interested in the BR Black period, where they were all fitted with deflectors, I was wondering whether any had their deflectors at all, even if for a short period whilst in BR Black.

How many locos have their looks improved by smoke deflectors. Not many, if any, in my opinion. But I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

I rather like the Southern Railway version with no smoke deflectors.  Being interested in the BR Black period, where they were all fitted with deflectors, I was wondering whether any had their deflectors at all, even if for a short period whilst in BR Black.

They got them long before BR days, most probably by 1930 after just a few years service.

When the LeMaitre (translated lit: TheMaster) chimney was installed this would have had a softer blast than the original so deflectors were still needed to lift smoke clear.

Ironically I believe LeMatitre's first name was Nelson!

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

How many locos have their looks improved by smoke deflectors. Not many, if any, in my opinion. But I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

IMHO I would put the Coronation in the class of "Improved" as the bulbous steam passages are (again MHO)  rather inelegant.

Most others not

Keith

attachicon.gifNelson on TT.jpg

Keith

Interesting. The Heljan is I understand sold as a 70 ft in 00 but it isn’t quite.

Even my S15 is tight.

attachicon.gifNelson on TT.jpg

Keith

Interesting. The Heljan is I understand sold as a 70 ft in 00 but it isn’t quite.

Even my S15 is tight.

post-4181-0-15962800-1548106628_thumb.jpeg

post-4181-0-84534700-1548106726_thumb.jpeg

Regarding the smoke deflectors: I have tried some smoke deflectors that were part of an early 1990s detailing kit for the old tooling Hornby "Schools" class locomotive, but these transpired to be unsuitable: they are the wrong shape and size for the Lord Nelson.

• RMweb Premium

Even my S15 is tight.

Looking at those pictures I would suggest the deck is only approx 60 ft in 00* as the LN has a wheelbase of 60' 9" with the bogie tender (plus the Hornby add-on for tight curves - say another 2mm or 6")

The S15 should fit without a problem as it's wheelbase (including the extra  space between engine & tender) is about 57' 6"

*If it was intended to be a 70' H0 TT it would only be about 61' 3" in 00, which is a good match for the LN's wheelbase!

What is the actual length of the bridge track?

EDIT

I've been looking up some info on Heljan TTs and their figures don't add up.

They claim the model 89121 is 27.4m in H0, equivalent to 21.5m in 00 which is wrong. The ratio should be 0.875 not 0.78, so something doesn't add up!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Looking at those pictures I would suggest the deck is only approx 60 ft in 00* as the LN has a wheelbase of 60' 9" with the bogie tender (plus the Hornby add-on for tight curves - say another 2mm or 6")

The S15 should fit without a problem as it's wheelbase (including the extra  space between engine & tender) is about 57' 6"

*If it was intended to be a 70' H0 TT it would only be about 61' 3" in 00, which is a good match for the LN's wheelbase!

What is the actual length of the bridge track?

EDIT

I've been looking up some info on Heljan TTs and their figures don't add up.

They claim the model 89121 is 27.4m in H0, equivalent to 21.5m in 00 which is wrong. The ratio should be 0.875 not 0.78, so something doesn't add up!

Keith

You are correct Keith. I had purchased this turntable as 70’ but the bridge track is actually a scale 61’6””.

That explains a lot. Now where can I fit a turning triangle in!?

• RMweb Gold

You are correct Keith. I had purchased this turntable as 70’ but the bridge track is actually a scale 61’6””.

Discussed at length today at the directors meeting in Waterloo.

1. CIvil engineering stresses loads can be seasonal, engineering works expensive.

2. Accountants, as always funds are tight.

3. Traffic department: we didnt build it, we just run it

4. CME:we have the answer...post-20773-0-37158800-1548270747_thumb.jpg

5. Traffic dept: but the crews will have to work harder for water stops

6. Accountants: they still get paid the same, deductions if their late

7. Civil Engs: no objection from us.

8. Motion carried 3 votes to 1.

9. CME: now about those Bulleids we wanted...

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

Regarding the smoke deflectors: I have tried some smoke deflectors that were part of an early 1990s detailing kit for the old tooling Hornby "Schools" class locomotive, but these transpired to be unsuitable: they are the wrong shape and size for the Lord Nelson.

Indeed.  A cheap Bachmann Nelson non-runner would be the cheapest source for plastic deflectors. N15s are different, too.

edit; or of course wait for the Hornby BR version (March?)

Edited by robmcg

Indeed.  A cheap Bachmann Nelson non-runner would be the cheapest source for plastic deflectors. N15s are different, too.

edit; or of course wait for the Hornby BR version (March?)

I looked into this, but the Bachmann smoke deflectors, even for the olive green livery versions, were actually the later pattern used on the locomotives in the BR era, and are not correct for the 1930s.

The same would apply to the BR liveried Hornby versions.

Edited by jamespetts

I looked into this, but the Bachmann smoke deflectors, even for the olive green livery versions, were actually the later pattern used on the locomotives in the BR era, and are not correct for the 1930s.

The same would apply to the BR liveried Hornby versions.

Ah, sorry, I didn't realise there was a difference..  

• RMweb Premium

There does seem to be some confusion between H0 & 00 and even the manufacturers aren't free of blame.

Even though we model 00 to the same track gauge everything else H0 is 7/8 ths scale.

Most times it doesn't matter but when length is an issue, as you have found, it does matter.

It doesn't look as if you could fit anything bigger now with all the track in place.

I would surmise fitting in a triangle won't be easy either.

Cheers

Keith

• 1 month later...

or will it be this....?

30850_Lord_Nelson_portrait12_9abcde_r1200.jpg.2ef99cb2a7479c5891f252cafd0404b1.jpg

or my old pastiche of various pics...

30850_Lord_Nelson_Shed_portrait2_3abc_r1200.jpg.56e0d56984aa4ba1f862954b00977d78.jpg

Very much looking forward to March-April arrival of the BR Nelsons....

pics edited, will remove if asked.

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, robmcg said:

Here we have the last word in RTR 00 Lord Nelson models.... silent, smooth-running, powerful, supreme detailing..

30850_nelson_Img_4527abc_r1200.jpg.0ffc399ac6d4508359f257ea27466fa9.jpg

What year did you say this was, nurse?   :)

Always ruined by the chimney. Fitting a Markits one totally transformed it. Not much could be done with the tender, though

So sorry to see mine go. Wating for the new Hornby Lord Nelson.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/01/2019 at 18:05, phil gollin said:

Maunsell started fitting smoke deflectors to his (and Urie's 4-6-0 designs) quite early on (mid to late 1920s).

By the early 1930s (when the locos were renumbered to remove the letter prefix A, B or E previously used to differentiate otherwise identically numbered ex SECR, LBSCR and LSWR / SR locos), ALL the Nelsons, King Arthurs, S15s, H15s, , Schools, U and N class Moguls had smoke deflectors fitted.

As such the ONLY livery in which you can run a Nelson without deflectors is the Olive Green with a E prefixed number. Anything else (Bulleid Malachite, Bulleid black, BR Black, BR Green, etc) requires deflectors fitted.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 23:27, phil-b259 said:

Maunsell started fitting smoke deflectors to his (and Urie's 4-6-0 designs) quite early on (mid to late 1920s).

By the early 1930s (when the locos were renumbered to remove the letter prefix A, B or E previously used to differentiate otherwise identically numbered ex SECR, LBSCR and LSWR / SR locos), ALL the Nelsons, King Arthurs, S15s, H15s, , Schools, U and N class Moguls had smoke deflectors fitted.

As such the ONLY livery in which you can run a Nelson without deflectors is the Olive Green with a E prefixed number. Anything else (Bulleid Malachite, Bulleid black, BR Black, BR Green, etc) requires deflectors fitted.

There was no BR black livery. All of the 'Nelsons' had been repainted malachite green by Nationalisation except for 30862 which was repainted in August 1948.  There was however, BR Apple Green carried by 30856, 30861 and 30864 until 50/51.  By 1952 all 'Nelsons' were in Standard Loco Dark Green.

The smoke deflectors fitted at withdrawal were those fitted in 1929/30, though trials had been made with a variety of designs before the final type was chosen in 1929.

'Locomotives In Detail, Number 8 Lord Nelson Class' by Peter Swift.

Edited by Chuffed 1
Punctuation
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Lord Rodney now shown as in stock at Hornby. Shouldn't be too long now !

Indeed we've just been invoiced. Nearly sold out of our first allocation already....!  :)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2