Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

Personally I wish photo-shopping had never been invented. Until development has reached the point where there's a prototype to show, I would much prefer a photograph of the actual loco to be modeled, as long as the photo is of the actual loco not a class mate. To be accurate Hornby will need actual photographs anyway to base their model upon.

Careful photo-shopping for re-releases is also needed. I couldn't count the number of threads there are where we have questioned a model because the catalogue detail is wrong when in fact Hornby (or Bachmann etc.) have in fact developed the correct spec. This is where more detailed descriptions in the catalogue or online of what is to be produced would help.

I don't think its a photoshop image. I think they are 3D CAD items with mapped correct colours. Which means if the 2 models with short smokeboxes are wrong, they are part of the 3D cadwork possibly intended for production for the loco in question. Obviously still time to correct though....

Edit: checking one of the BR ones with a short smokebox, it also has the outside blast pipes (i thought they went with the Bullied Chimney's).

Edit 2 : I have found pics in SR early Bullied days with the Bullied chimney but still retaining the Maunsall valves and outside pipes, but by BR they all seem to be Bullied valves Chimney and no outside pipes. Likewise the Maunsall smokebox is a tad shorter than the Bullied one.

Is the BR one with Maunsall features wrong?

Edited by JSpencer

....Only problem is, my preference to fund it will be to sell;

30850-1.gif

Professionally built/painted Craftsman model (builder/painter unknown), that I've owned from new for years and have upgraded to DCC....

Craftsman wasn't the only kit option. K's had a go at it, and back in the 2000s, a mysterious Australian outfit claimed to have produced an all etched kit.

• RMweb Gold

.......... but not necessarily the same member ( Thank you Eric ! ) ............ then there's the little matter of Maunsell or Bulleid cylinders, 'piano fronts', short and long boilers ....... and, of course only one loco really ought to have the outside cranks at 90 degrees .................... but one thing they ALL had - and is conspicuous by its absence - is MALACHITE GREEN ( at one time or another ) !

Locomotion Ltd edition of 850 as preserved to be released at Warley in the same way as 46229 was sprung on the unsuspecting this year?

• Like 2

I don't think its a photoshop image. I think they are 3D CAD items with mapped correct colours. Which means if the 2 models with short smokeboxes are wrong, they are part of the 3D cadwork possibly intended for production for the loco in question. Obviously still time to correct though....

Edit: checking one of the BR ones with a short smokebox, it also has the outside blast pipes (i thought they went with the Bullied Chimney's).

Edit 2 : I have found pics in SR early Bullied days with the Bullied chimney but still retaining the Maunsall valves and outside pipes, but by BR they all seem to be Bullied valves Chimney and no outside pipes. Likewise the Maunsall smokebox is a tad shorter than the Bullied one.

Is the BR one with Maunsall features wrong?

863 Lord Rodney retained his Maunsell cylinders, with visible outside steam pipes till withdrawal so Hornby are correct. It also retained the short smoke box with piano front beneath.  851 Francis Drake was fitted with an early version of Bulleid cylinders and lost the visible steam pipes but retained the short smoke box with piano front. In 1956 Walter Raleigh was fitted with a rebuilt Merchant navy chimney and looked quite different. So, as well as different wheel sizes, a shorter boiler, 4 different tender styles, there are many variations in a small class.

Roger

• Like 1

863 Lord Rodney retained his Maunsell cylinders, with visible outside steam pipes till withdrawal so Hornby are correct. It also retained the short smoke box with piano front beneath.  851 Francis Drake was fitted with an early version of Bulleid cylinders and lost the visible steam pipes but retained the short smoke box with piano front. In 1956 Walter Raleigh was fitted with a rebuilt Merchant navy chimney and looked quite different. So, as well as different wheel sizes, a shorter boiler, 4 different tender styles, there are many variations in a small class.

Roger

Thanks Roger - learn something new and useful everyday here. Am tempted by a Rodders now - more expense!

I've seen elsewhere that there were extended Smokeboxes too - it fits and Hornby is proving to be correct. Well done Hornby. (just need them to sell the TTS chips apart in 2019).

• RMweb Gold

Roger

By BR days there was only one tender type, however in Southern Railways days, 4 types is a close estimate - it may well have been 5*

Due to bogie type on the Maunsell Flat-sided tenders (straight or scalloped) that where 'borrowed'.

• RMweb Gold

By BR days there was only one tender type, however in Southern Railways days, 4 types is a close estimate - it may well have been 5*

Due to bogie type on the Maunsell Flat-sided tenders (straight or scalloped) that where 'borrowed'.

But bear in mind that some of the early pairings were quite short-lived.

John

On 09/01/2018 at 11:55, Wickham Green said:

.......... but not necessarily the same member ( Thank you Eric ! ) ............ then there's the little matter of Maunsell or Bulleid cylinders, 'piano fronts', short and long boilers ....... and, of course only one loco really ought to have the outside cranks at 90 degrees .................... but one thing they ALL had - and is conspicuous by its absence - is MALACHITE GREEN ( at one time or another ) !

I doubt they will model this version though...

1202255207_LordNelsons854.JPG.8ae99eccdb05df1718b9f34d81d4d052.JPG

Craftsman kit built by my Dad 30 years ago; finished, painted and lined by Warren Haywood in 2016.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 5

There is photo (all CGI images) on their Facebooker page showing the three Admirals one above the other and its clear that one has a longer smokebox than the other two in front of the chimney.

Could you please say where on their FB page?   It's not in their new for 2018 section nor in any other current post that I can see.

I have done (well, am doing) a photo-edited version of 855 in 'Best Ever', broadly based on the Hornby Magazine pic.

Cheers,

Roger

Indeed there are many variations but surely it is too early to predict the final configuration of the Hornby models?

That they have tooled-up for short-long smokeboxes and presumably steam-pipe visibility, not to mention at least two chimneys, bodes well.

They might be slow do do Malachite green given that this is slow seller for Schools and N15s I think , judging by s/h asking prices.

Indeed there are many variations but surely it is too early to predict the final configuration of the Hornby models?

That they have tooled-up for short-long smokeboxes and presumably steam-pipe visibility, not to mention at least two chimneys, bodes well.

They might be slow do do Malachite green given that this is slow seller for Schools and N15s I think , judging by s/h asking prices.

I'm not really suprised the malachite is a slow seller, even as an ardent SR fan I tend to stick to black or olive green if I can.

Having said that I did get the 2 Merchant Navies released last year but malachite does kind of suit Bulleids own designs.

Nik

• Like 1

I'm not really suprised the malachite is a slow seller, even as an ardent SR fan I tend to stick to black or olive green if I can.

Having said that I did get the 2 Merchant Navies released last year but malachite does kind of suit Bulleids own designs.

Nik

If they'd get round to doing a malachite Arthur with the Maunsell cab they might sell a few ........... anything with that Urie shed on is no use around here !

( The price of malachite Schools' might have something to do with mazac-rotting "Cheltenham" chassis !!?! )

• RMweb Gold

Sadly no long boiler (860) or small wheel version (859) will be tooled up

Can't say I'm greatly surprised by that, though.

859's wheels would only be just over 1mm smaller in diameter than the rest, in any case, so you'd have to look pretty hard to see a difference

John

• RMweb Gold

OK, OK it IS ( currently ) malachite green ........................ but NRM only knows why it was turned out with Maunsell insignia !

Pretty sure it had correct 'sunshine' lettering after its first restoration at Carnforth  in 1980. Its only after it went down south that they got the lettering wrong.......... :)

• RMweb Gold

Can't say I'm greatly surprised by that, though.

859's wheels would only be just over 1mm smaller in diameter than the rest, in any case, so you'd have to look pretty hard to see a difference

John

As it says in 'The Book of the Lord Nelsons' - unless you saw 859 side on you wouldn't notice the wheel difference.

With that being said, does it mean that Hornby will be modelling the alternate balance weights for 865's drivers?