Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think you’ve ignored the alternative...

without TTS, your looking at an extra £100 on the price for a full fat chip.

if 30850 was only available with a full fat chip your looking at a £250+ model.

ive not yet heard any comments so far suggesting buying a £100+ after market sound chip to fit to one of these.

I believe what we are trying to suggest is that TTS is probablya bad choice for this particular loco and it should just be DCC ready so people can stick in a chip of their choice including sound. Then again there could be a Nelson with TTS  but maybe by order?

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, bagnall said:

As some one else pointed out 30853 Sir Richard Grenville lasted until December 1957 in original condition before having new cylinders and smoke box fitted,  30851 Sir Francis Drake lasted until withdrawal in December 1961 with  the piano front and short smoke box although it had the later smoke deflectors with out the steam pipe bulge over the cylinders, this was due to a mix up when it had new cylinders fitted in 1949 with 8” piston valves instead of 10” so depending your modelling time scale two more locos in BR livery from renumbering 30863.  One thing that Hornby have got wrong on 30863 is the yellow triangle under the number, this should be a letter A the same colour as the numbers, it looks like they have used a photo of the loco in the Irwell book taken ex works at   Eastleigh in 1949. The letters on LSWR and Southern Railway locos built and overhauled at Eastleigh referred to the locos power classification, Ryde works on the IOW also used it and it was usually displayed on the running plate behind the front buffer, in BR days it was applied under the number and lasted into the early 50’s when it was superseded by the BR standard code above the number, Ashford and Brighton didn’t seem to use this system. The yellow triangle under the number denoted that the loco had water treatment fitted, this was used in the early sixty’s when it replaced a yellow dot under the number that had been introduced in the mid 50’s, it changed to the triangle so the yellow dot would not get confused with the Western Regions coulerd dots that where displayed on there loco cabs for route and power classification.

The Bookof the Nelsons is quite useful for having the information about detail differences to hand.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

IMHO Again Hornby blur the lines between cheap and expensive re sound.

Maybe Hornby could offer the TTS decoder as an after market extra as with several others that are available?

I don't like sound so won't be buying any, but surely a top link model with a Railroad quality sound decoder is just daft!

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

ive not yet heard any comments so far suggesting buying a £100+ after market sound chip to fit to one of these.

What I was trying to suggest was that as Hornby is now starting to offer two versions of each model, one a DC version and the other DCC Fitted, they should replace the DCC fitted with a TTS one.

Edited by brushman47544

Why not split the batch; x% DDC ready (no chip, £150) and y% TTS fitted. Those who don't want the extra £25 for a chip we won't use...

The used to split batches of DCC ready and DCC fitted with a difference of about £10 (they don't seem to do this any more), but even more so with sound

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

?!?

Further back in this thread you'll find pictures of me doing exactly that.

I wasn't happy with the TTS so I went and got a £100+ chip and installed. Currently enjoying tweaking to get the chuffs correct. I have them at 8 per revolution but I need to get the volume correct.

Luke 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

The used to split batches of DCC ready and DCC fitted with a difference of about £10 (they don't seem to do this any more)

They are starting that up again this year with the new Terrier and Princess Royals

• Informative/Useful 1

I want to get a Hornby Nelson in BR livery.  I'd like one as 30856 (Lord St Vincent) or 30857 (Lord Howe) preferably with l/c which would mean renumbering one as Hornby are doing 30850 and 30863, and have announced 30852 (e/c) and 30859 (l/c).  As far as I can make out from this thread and various books I should be ok  with  the current 30863?  Or am I missing some details?   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

I want to get a Hornby Nelson in BR livery.  I'd like one as 30856 (Lord St Vincent) or 30857 (Lord Howe) preferably with l/c which would mean renumbering one as Hornby are doing 30850 and 30863, and have announced 30852 (e/c) and 30859 (l/c).  As far as I can make out from this thread and various books I should be ok  with  the current 30863?  Or am I missing some details?   

30863 has slightly different cylinder detail and a short smokebox. You need to check the loco details for the time you are modelling if you need to have total accuracy.  Has early emblem tender as well of course.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

30863 has slightly different cylinder detail and a short smokebox. You need to check the loco details for the time you are modelling if you need to have total accuracy.  Has early emblem tender as well of course.

Phil

Excellent, thanks for that. more differences than I realised.  I've found a pic of 30857 ex works with l/c so I'll do a bit more investigation. Ta again.

• Like 1

Thanks to finding my old copy of Locos Illustrated on Lord Nelsons and Rails excellent photos of  the Hornby 30863,  I see that 30863 has a prominent cylinder cover below the  smokebox,   that was for the original cylinders, so  need a Hornby model without  that, for starters. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 14:35, luke_stevens said:

?!?

Further back in this thread you'll find pictures of me doing exactly that.

I wasn't happy with the TTS so I went and got a £100+ chip and installed. Currently enjoying tweaking to get the chuffs correct. I have them at 8 per revolution but I need to get the volume correct.

Luke 

If you don't mind sharing Luke, what chip and sound project did you get and how do you like it?    I was asking for this information earlier in the thread but never got a reply.  I am only aware of the YouChoos option

norm

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks to finding my old copy of Locos Illustrated on Lord Nelsons and Rails excellent photos of  the Hornby 30863,  I see that 30863 has a prominent cylinder cover below the  smokebox,   that was for the original cylinders, so  need a Hornby model without  that, for starters. 

I believe that is so visible because the SB is much shorter, but it is what is termed the Piano Cover set up (upright, not Grand :pleasantry:)

Do you have the book Locomotives in Detail 8 Maunsell 4.6.0. Lord Nelson Class (peter Swift)? It is a goldmine for what you are after. Ian Allen Publishing ISBN 978-0-7110-3247-7. 

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, nnich said:

If you don't mind sharing Luke, what chip and sound project did you get and how do you like it?    I was asking for this information earlier in the thread but never got a reply.  I am only aware of the YouChoos option

norm

I used Youchoos. Their website says the recordings were made from 850.

Hope that helps. I left the chip in the tender and then ran a couple of long wires to the speaker squeezed into the smokebox.

Yours

Luke 

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I believe that is so visible because the SB is much shorter, but it is what is termed the Piano Cover set up (upright, not Grand :pleasantry:)

Do you have the book Locomotives in Detail 8 Maunsell 4.6.0. Lord Nelson Class (peter Swift)? It is a goldmine for what you are after. Ian Allen Publishing ISBN 978-0-7110-3247-7. 

Phil

Thanks for the heads up on the book, sounds just the job.

I guess the shorter smokebox goes with the original cylinders and longer box with Bulleid ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks for the heads up on the book, sounds just the job.

I guess the shorter smokebox goes with the original cylinders and longer box with Bulleid ones.

That would be too simple!:heat:

I suspect you can get he book at a reasonable price as it has been around a while and is a great read about the Class history. If you can't then PM me and let me know exactly what you want to know about the loco you wish to have and the  approximate timescale of your era and I can dig out the info for you.

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That would be too simple!:heat:

I suspect you can get he book at a reasonable price as it has been around a while and is a great read about the Class history. If you can't then PM me and let me know exactly what you want to know about the loco you wish to have and the  approximate timescale of your era and I can dig out the info for you.

ATB

Phil

Thanks Phil. 

I've found several copies of the book on both Amazon and eBay, cheapest around  £6 so one now ordered.

Cheers

Bill

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks Phil. 

I've found several copies of the book on both Amazon and eBay, cheapest around  £6 so one now ordered.

Cheers

Bill

£6....total bargain. Enjoy as they say in Cafes these days.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the other titles in that series are distinctly more expensive, even from the same Amazon retailer. Which suggests 'something'...:blink:

Edited by truffy

19 minutes ago, truffy said:

Some of the other titles in that series are distinctly more expensive, even from the same Amazon retailer. Which suggests 'something'...:blink:

I think some of them had smaller print runs. The Southern Mogul one was the last one and only had a few printed in the same format. Quite a few complaints at the time as it didn't fit in with the others in the series.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOCOMOTIVES-DETAIL-10-Southern-Hardcover/dp/B01182EHVQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=locomotives+in+detail&qid=1554820074&s=books&sr=1-4

Jason

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think some of them had smaller print runs. The Southern Mogul one was the last one and only had a few printed in the same format. Quite a few complaints at the time as it didn't fit in with the others in the series.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOCOMOTIVES-DETAIL-10-Southern-Hardcover/dp/B01182EHVQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=locomotives+in+detail&qid=1554820074&s=books&sr=1-4

Jason

Ouch! (Price).

P

Keep watching out for them. You should be able to find one for a reasonable price. I think they normally go for about a tenner.

:offtopic:

Many of the prices go by Amazons computer systems. If there is a demand for something deemed rare the price goes up automatically if the seller is using the software.

https://blog.prisync.com/amazon-pricing-strategy/

A prime example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagons-author-Atkins-Tourret-September/dp/B00QAWALHY/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=gwr+goods+wagons&qid=1554822204&s=books&sr=1-12

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I found a trader called The Hive. They do good discount (and free postage I believe) and also you can select a local bookshop to receive a % of the cost. As my local bookshop has closed due to retirement of the owners than I do not mind using this sort of mail order.

Phil