MGR Hooper!

Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

My order was with world of books which is an Amazon associate. The second hand book was £3.32 with £2.80 postage. (There was another seller offering the same overall price with "free postage" )   I'd bought from world of books before and book turned up ok so went with them.

If the book's in the condition they say it is, has some clear pics of the different locos in the class and an accurate history then will have been worth getting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ouch! (Price).

Totalling the new Irwell Press 'N/N1' and 'U/U1' books you'd spend rather more than that .................................... but you'd get a hellovalot more book for your money !

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

"Locomotives in Detail 8 Maunsell 4.6.0. Lord Nelson Class" arrived yesterday. As it's written to cover detail differences and livery changes of the class, it's just the job to find the right model to renumber to the one I want (that's if Hornby don't announce 30856 or 30857, the 2 in my Ian Allen spotters book).

Lots of  photos, with early colour ones as well. While this tells you what a particular loco looked like at a particular time, there is an interesting history of the design, development and modification of the class.

Couple of things, 862 had an experimental double chimney fitted in 1934. Several were painted apple green for a while after nationalisation.  2 more for Hornby in the future!

• Informative/Useful 1

So, do you think 862 with that double chimney looks a wee bit like a long version of a rebuilt Royal Scot or, through half closed eyes, a King with a double chimney?

Have you noticed the rather 'confused' arrangement of the information (e.g. early/late emblem applied or Bulleid Cylinders fitted) on that list of the Locomotive histories at the back of the book? The first column for each loco seems inconsistent on each page and I can't work out why.

I think there are other books available; Irwell Press maybe?

Phil

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:48, bagnall said:

As some one else pointed out 30853 Sir Richard Grenville lasted until December 1957 in original condition before having new cylinders and smoke box fitted,  30851 Sir Francis Drake lasted until withdrawal in December 1961 with  the piano front and short smoke box although it had the later smoke deflectors with out the steam pipe bulge over the cylinders, this was due to a mix up when it had new cylinders fitted in 1949 with 8” piston valves instead of 10” so depending your modelling time scale two more locos in BR livery from renumbering 30863.  One thing that Hornby have got wrong on 30863 is the yellow triangle under the number, this should be a letter A the same colour as the numbers, it looks like they have used a photo of the loco in the Irwell book taken ex works at   Eastleigh in 1949. The letters on LSWR and Southern Railway locos built and overhauled at Eastleigh referred to the locos power classification, Ryde works on the IOW also used it and it was usually displayed on the running plate behind the front buffer, in BR days it was applied under the number and lasted into the early 50’s when it was superseded by the BR standard code above the number, Ashford and Brighton didn’t seem to use this system. The yellow triangle under the number denoted that the loco had water treatment fitted, this was used in the early sixty’s when it replaced a yellow dot under the number that had been introduced in the mid 50’s, it changed to the triangle so the yellow dot would not get confused with the Western Regions coulerd dots that where displayed on there loco cabs for route and power classification.

Have copied this for someone else's info on another thread. Hope you don't mind?

Phil