Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

I just wanted to bring this image forward, because it is a truly fantastic model. The thought of Hornby not producing one in malachite does make me sad, I am already sad at the H2 hasn't been announced in malachite (YET).

I did see it noted before that malachite versions of things have been slow sellers, Including the N15, I'm not sure if I agree with this. Hornby have so far only released one in malachite, in 2007. This was the Urie cab version, I would argue that everyone that wants one of this variant, by now has probably got one. A Maunsell cabbed malachite green would be a nice addition, and I do struggle to think It would be a bad seller, being that it's been over 10 years since the release of one that is similar.

Before I'm reprimanded for wishlisting, This is a very interesting thread, with lots of Southern discussion!

There has been considerable critism in the past of Hornby’s post 2000 rediction of the Malachite Green livery.

Most observers (me included) think it is too blue in hue and compares unfavourably with the shade Hornby used in the late 1980s which was far more vibrant and seemed a far better match to the real thing based on photos etc.

It doesn’t look too bad on the WC / BOB / MN locos thanks to the prominent yellow horizontal stripes which help# trick 5he eye into thinking the green is OK (or even a different shade) on these models.

Certainly when it comes to coaching stock, Maunsell coaches finished in what Hornby called malachite were very slow sellers with plentiful stocks hanging round years after the Olive and BR(S) versions had sold out.

As such it’s not surprising both Hornby and a Bachmann have shied away from producing Malachite liveried locos in recent years (Bullied Pacific’s excepted) and is likely to also be the reason such a livery is not present in the inital batch of LN or H2 variants.

• Like 2

I think they presumed n15 pendragon in malachite. But off the top of my head that’s the only one been produced so far. When I eventually model the SR then m going to go for the olive period mainly because it’s my favours pre-grouping livery.

Big James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don’t think this has been noted. The lord Nelson has been pushed back to March 2019 now.

Big James

However, according to the Hornby website, strangely enough Sir Francis Drake is down for release in December 2018.

Of course it maybe that the website hasn't been properly updated.

all the best

Godfrey

Don’t think this has been noted. The lord Nelson has been pushed back to March 2019 now.

Big James

This is only for the BR versions on the moment, the SR livery is now coming for December instead of Januari, but you never know, even this one can be delate again.

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, is he STILL in the Tower ?

I think the present government has other things on its mind at the moment. Of course his sentence could be over by Christmas. We might need to have a People's Vote on whether he should be released!  :onthequiet:

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, is he STILL in the Tower ?

One cold morning on the mid hants, i was waiting at a bridge, camera in hand, this car drives up, winds down the window and says to this other bloke with me... what are you doing here.

He responds, waiting for Lord Nelson.

The driver looks at him, says he died 200 years ago and drove off thinking we must be mad.

• Like 3

One cold morning on the mid hants, i was waiting at a bridge, camera in hand, this car drives up, winds down the window and says to this other bloke with me... what are you doing here.

The driver looks at him, says he died 200 years ago and drove off thinking we must be mad.

Would have thought you were even madder if the chap had said you were waiting for (a) King Arthur  ................ he wouldn't know Sir Lamiel from Lord Lucan, of course !

.... come to think of it, if he'd said you were waiting for Cheltenham to arrive you'd have been surrounded by men in white coats pretty sharpish !

• RMweb Gold

He wasn’t wrong lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the decorated sample from Warley - the Hornby stand advertised a release date of December 2018:

45980747102_1c25060e6c_b.jpgHornby Lord Nelson, "Sir Francis Drake" by James Petts, on Flickr

45980753522_aa9e293c46_b.jpgHornby Lord Nelson by James Petts, on Flickr

That's a very olivey 'Olive' green by the look of it ..... almost khaki on the tender ! .................................... an' are those L.S.W.R. buffers right ??!? ( certainly not for any later variant )

Probably lighting and other factors that affect how the colour is appearing

The olive on the loco looks lively, very much like S15 847 at the Bluebell looks like. Tender does look somewhat muddy. I'd also suggest lighting/impact of photographing through display case.