Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Cut and paste from Andy Y's  2018 announcement thread

Class 25/1 and 25/2 Diesel Locomotives
323 locomotives were built between 1961 and 1967 by British Railways’ workshops at Darlington & Derby and by Beyer Peacock in Manchester. The first was withdrawn in December 1975 and the last in 1987. 20 locomotives have been preserved.

post-1-0-32114500-1515345093_thumb.jpg
Photo by Colour Rail
32-341 Class 25/2 No. D5282 in BR Green livery with Small Yellow Panel
New Tooling developed from the Class 24/1
32-340 Class 25/1 No 25060 in weathered BR Blue livery

Which prompted me to post...

Very nice - new 25s! Making a stand in the face of SLW perhaps?

However 25/1 and 25/2 with early body shell - as announced 25060 -  with all the grilles are logical developments from 24 but not 25/2 - as announced D5282 - with later body style - cantrail grilles instead of body side.  25/0 would be more logical!

Will drop Bachmann an email and see what they say

Reply has come back:

We can confirm that the tooling for the Class 25 Diesel sub classes are to be produced off stand-alone tooling and are a separate project following on from the Class 24/1 Diesels. Source information has been extensively researched by our design experts and we have gone to great lengths to ensure the models produced will be true to prototype for the stated period in the livery they will carry.   

When we manufacture our tooling, we have options to include different slide inserts in the mould tools to provide different features that are unique to a loco for the period we choose to present the model in.

We trust this this answers your questions and we assure you that we will be going to great lengths to ensure these models are presented in the most accurate detail possible.

Best regards,

Steve Tooley

So its the slides that are key I guess .... get it right and any variant can be produced. Many thanks Bachmann for the clarification and engagement.

Phil

• Like 12

Cut and paste from Andy Y's 2018 announcement thread

323 locomotives were built between 1961 and 1967 by British Railways’ workshops at Darlington & Derby and by Beyer Peacock in Manchester. The first was withdrawn in December 1975 and the last in 1987. 20 locomotives have been preserved.

post-1-0-32114500-1515345093_thumb.jpg

Photo by Colour Rail

32-341 Class 25/2 No. D5282 in BR Green livery with Small Yellow Panel

32-340 Class 25/1 No 25060 in weathered BR Blue livery

Which prompted me to post...

Very nice - new 25s! Making a stand in the face of SLW perhaps?

However 25/1 and 25/2 with early body shell - as announced 25060 - with all the grilles are logical developments from 24 but not 25/2 - as announced D5282 - with later body style - cantrail grilles instead of body side. 25/0 would be more logical!

Will drop Bachmann an email and see what they say

Reply has come back:

We can confirm that the tooling for the Class 25 Diesel sub classes are to be produced off stand-alone tooling and are a separate project following on from the Class 24/1 Diesels. Source information has been extensively researched by our design experts and we have gone to great lengths to ensure the models produced will be true to prototype for the stated period in the livery they will carry.

When we manufacture our tooling, we have options to include different slide inserts in the mould tools to provide different features that are unique to a loco for the period we choose to present the model in.

We trust this this answers your questions and we assure you that we will be going to great lengths to ensure these models are presented in the most accurate detail possible.

Best regards,

Steve Tooley

So its the slides that are key I guess .... get it right and any variant can be produced. Many thanks Bachmann for the clarification and engagement.

Phil

Good one, Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil for starting this thread.

I’m intrigued why no blue later body style 25/2 and no green 25/1. I assume these will follow in due course. I assume the Abbotswood 2 type 2 fleet will be revisited as well as the permanent way?

Neil

Edited by Downendian
Abbotswood

That has confirmed it then, and I notice Hattons have removed the picture from their website of what was described as 25060.

These models promise to be absolute corkers given Bachmann products of recent times, but there were so many little individualities  amongst them, I hope the Barwell research will hold up.

There could also be serious justification for some new after-market bits for them.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil for starting this thread.

I’m intrigued why no blue later body style 25/2 and no green 25/1. I assume these will follow in due course. I assume the Abbotsbury 2 type 2 fleet will be revisited as well as the permanent way?

Neil

Absolutely Neil! Whether they are additionals or replacements we will have to see..... 7577, 5230, 5234, 7612, 7651 are favourites, if any are vulnerable perhaps its 7667 and 5246 but I think the allocation can take a couple more.....

Have I seen somewhere that the 25s will come with ready fitted speaker? Will be interesting to see how that is installed - and what the speaker is, most likely 4 ohm I guess although that will prevent fitting of older chips....

Cheers

Phil

Have I seen somewhere that the 25s will come with ready fitted speaker? Will be interesting to see how that is installed - and what the speaker is, most likely 4 ohm I guess although that will prevent fitting of older chips....

I ordered a Heisler in On30 from Bachmann for my father, this one has already fitted speakers as well. Haven't seen it yet but probably next week. Nice idea!

Simon

• Like 1

The big questions for me are:

1) Will the fictitious solebar disappear?

2) Will they get the curve of the cab roof right this time?

Having said that, it's a bit late for me now as I've already spent several 10s of hours effort on the one I'm doing for Whatley (D5222)!

Guy

Guest Q663389

How do you get a 25/2 from a 24/1 ?.

If they said a 25/0 then it's achievable.

May be the buffer heads are the same diameter ?.

Answers on a postcard please, or here.

Regards

Alan

Edited by Q663389

• RMweb Gold

damn it!, I thought I just had the Bachmann crane to save up for and the midland 1p. I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable on the old 25s but a couple more might have to be had just something about them. Saying that I never thought the old model was too bad to me anyway.

Lol so i can say 'damn' but mustn't put 'god'in front.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium

Just improving the fuel tank area would lift the loco, there's a lot less variation than a 47 so that at least should be easy.

It would but the stand out issue with the current model is with the curve of the cab roof and the rake of the upper cab front, closely followed by the underframe.

Edited by Neil

Cheers

Phil

Bachmann new “News” website, “Pre-fitted speaker for ease of Digital Sound installation.”

I’m glad that Bachmann is proceeding with these and the 24s. I have a 24 with sound from SLW and it is magnificent in every way (including value) except one and that only concerns my own taste. The finish is very flat. It is deliberate because the intention was to depict a locomotive which had seen some use. It did occur to me when I saw a display of four together that they were unlikely all to have faded to exactly the same extent but that is hardly a criticism of SLW. I much prefer the finish of a Bachmann model and found the flat finish a little bit of a let down.

The sound project of the SLW was exceedingly well done and included specially designed sound chambers. Bachmann will have a job matching that!

• RMweb Premium

I am so upset, the 25/1 is going to be only available in blue, and if they ever do it in green I bet they get the yellow warning panel wrong for the style I want. :nono: :nono:

I have always liked the Bachmann type 2, and then I never saw much wrong with the Hornby one, but the thought of a even better one is excellent news. :locomotive: :locomotive:

I am looking forward to running the new Bo-Bos next to my existing ones, like I do my SLW, Bachmann and Hornby (conversion) skinheads.

Now where did I put that green paint? :scratchhead:

Cut and paste from Andy Y's  2018 announcement thread

323 locomotives were built between 1961 and 1967 by British Railways’ workshops at Darlington & Derby and by Beyer Peacock in Manchester.The first was withdrawn in December 1975 and the last in 1987. 20 locomotives have been preserved.

Slight concern re Bachmann's "extensive research"; in fact 327 of what became Class 25 were built. D5151-5299 and D7500-7677 (or 25001-327 if you prefer). Not the first time Bachmann have slipped up in this regard. And the first withdrawal was 5278 in May 1971, followed by 7605 in March 1972. The remaining 325 survived long enough to receive TOPS numbers. 25045 was the next casualty, withdrawn in October 1975 followed by 25015 in December of that year. Then there were 323 locomotives left. Planned withdrawals of the 25/0 sub-class then began in late January 1976.

KG

Edited by apollo 079

Slight concern re Bachmann's "extensive research"; in fact 327 of what became Class 25 were built. D5151-5299 and D7500-7677 (or 25001-327 if you prefer). Not the first time Bachmann have slipped up in this regard. And the first withdrawal was 5278 in May 1971, followed by 7605 in March 1972. The remaining 325 survived long enough to receive TOPS numbers. 25045 was the next casualty, withdrawn in October 1975 followed by 25015 in December of that year. Then there were 323 locomotives left. Planned withdrawals of the 25/0 sub-class then began in late January 1976.

KG

which (323 or 327) bears no relevance to the actual model they'll produce - perhaps we're better waiting till there's a sample on the go....

Edited by Bob-65b

which (323 or 327) bears no relevance to the actual model they'll produce - perhaps we're better waiting till there's a sample on the go....

I suspect he was on about the descriptive text introduction where Bachmann state there were 323 class 25s.

As there are examples of 25/1, 25/2 and 25/3 preserved, as well as 24, then we can hope the foibles of the original class 25 mouldings are eradicated.

• RMweb Premium

..... I have always liked the Bachmann type 2, and then I never saw much wrong with the Hornby one, .....

I'd argue that the Hornby one is the better of the two, certainly a far better shape than the Bachmann model.

• RMweb Gold

I am so upset, the 25/1 is going to be only available in blue, and if they ever do it in green I bet they get the yellow warning panel wrong for the style I want. :nono: :nono:

Now where did I put that green paint? :scratchhead:

No it’s not difficult to respray a loco Clive especially green to blue and vice versa. I’ve done many as I know you have.

But I’d much rather buy a new tool model in the livery I want rather than the respray route especially at over £100 plus investment.

It’s a question of time really, Bachmann are certain to produce a green 25/1 and blue 25/2. I’d prefer to wait, ive got a long enough queue In the spray booth.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Apparently a model from another manufacturer which hasn't been announced yet will be much better than this model that hasn't been made yet. The evidence is compelling, you can't argue with facts.

• Like 2

It’s a question of time really, Bachmann are certain to produce a green 25/1 and blue 25/2. I’d prefer to wait, ive got a long enough queue In the spray booth.

Neil

Neil - I am not sure that using the BR classifications (/1, etc) is useful.

From what I have gleaned of the Bachmann announcement D5282 was a class 25/2 but from a visual model point of view was identical to a class 25/3. This means that boiler details apart it could represent D5233-D5299, D7500-7567 and D7598-D7677.

The announcement of blue 25060 is a 25/1 yes, but apart from representing D5176-D5232 as a 25/1, could also represent class 25/2 Nos D7568-D7597. Perhaps gangwayed and non gangwayed might be more appropriate 

• Like 1

Apparently a model from another manufacturer which hasn't been announced yet will be much better than this model that hasn't been made yet. The evidence is compelling, you can't argue with facts.

Hmm. The 'facts' are based on past products. You are entitled to compare the old Bachmann model against others already on the market, and while you can assume certain things regarding future products I think we should have open minds and see what Bachmann come up with.

It will be interesting to see what Bachmann make of these - they will have to be a good step forward from their old models to make the retooling worthwhile.  That leaves scope for being better than current, but not up to the standard of one twice the price. That might leave a market for both.

Or Bachmann could go the whole hog and get to a level which gets no critisism and leaves no room for a higher priced model to succeed.  I'm not saying they will achieve that - some of the higher priced design had bespoke sound recordings and a sound box designed to work with it. Will Bachmann reach this?

Edited by Jub45565