Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

Any one know what motor is fitted in the 24/1  I don't think its the same as the previous models,

not mentioned by any one is the quality of the plastic  reminds me of that recycled brittle

finish found now, I know the detail has improved but I had no issues with the previous 24 and 25

models and at half the price, it feels lighter and not as robust body sits a lot lower on the

slimmer bogies, are Bachmann now heading for HO rather than there previous 00 models

if this is the case there will be no more purchases from me.

Edited by paul 27
  • Funny 1

Am looking forward to seeing the new Bachmann 25 as the 24/1 is excellent to my eyes.

The old Hornby 25  has a good face but I improved it further by increasing the height of the connecting doors  and adding some flush glazing. Maybe the doors should go to the bottom of the body?

25 1.JPG

Edited by drgj
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2020 at 00:02, paul 27 said:

Any one know what motor is fitted in the 24/1  I don't think its the same as the previous models,

not mentioned by any one is the quality of the plastic  reminds me of that recycled brittle

finish found now, I know the detail has improved but I had no issues with the previous 24 and 25

models and at half the price, it feels lighter and not as robust body sits a lot lower on the

slimmer bogies, are Bachmann now heading for HO rather than there previous 00 models

if this is the case there will be no more purchases from me.

Didnt put it on the scales but there are certainly no haulage issues....

Walked away with 25 milk tanks .... as does SLW 24 and Bachmann 25

2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Perhaps that's why you had no issues with them? 

Why because they were cheaper no logic in that, I was referring to the previous models being good value

and detailed enough for the price.

Edited by paul 27

On 26/03/2020 at 20:02, paul 27 said:

models and at half the price,

Simple answer - if you are happy with the previous models then stick with them and take advantage of the (hopefully) better used prices as people upgrade to pick up further models from the previous runs as wanted.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 09:46, mdvle said:

Simple answer - if you are happy with the previous models then stick with them and take advantage of the (hopefully) better used prices as people upgrade to pick up further models from the previous runs as wanted.

No I don't need telling that I have enough of the older models, I purchased this new model for obvious reasons

plus it has lights, my main concern was it seems slightly smaller in height I doubt it has been scanned.

Edited by paul 27

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

I wonder how this will turn out, 2 25s, which will be the better model?

Comparing the Heljan pre-prod 25 and its shape issues with the Bachmann 24/1, I'd side with the Bachmann 25 at this point.

Whether I can wait that long or whether the Heljan model will be corrected, is another thing all together. The lack of a 25/1 from Heljan is currently the biggest decider for me, can't pre-order whats not announced and I'd rather have both from the same stable.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/07/2020 at 14:40, Zunnan said:

The lack of a 25/1 from Heljan is currently the biggest decider for me

Same here , I have specific loco's I wish to model so hopefully if Heljan plan to do one they announce it before the Bachmann model is available to buy as i plan on buying a few of the upcoming Heljan 25's as well

• 3 months later...
On 08/01/2018 at 19:20, Phil Bullock said:

Cut and paste from Andy Y's  2018 announcement thread

Class 25/1 and 25/2 Diesel Locomotives
323 locomotives were built between 1961 and 1967 by British Railways’ workshops at Darlington & Derby and by Beyer Peacock in Manchester. The first was withdrawn in December 1975 and the last in 1987. 20 locomotives have been preserved.

post-1-0-32114500-1515345093_thumb.jpg
Photo by Colour Rail
32-341 Class 25/2 No. D5282 in BR Green livery with Small Yellow Panel
New Tooling developed from the Class 24/1
32-340 Class 25/1 No 25060 in weathered BR Blue livery
New Tooling developed from the Class 24/1

Which prompted me to post...

Very nice - new 25s! Making a stand in the face of SLW perhaps?

However 25/1 and 25/2 with early body shell - as announced 25060 -  with all the grilles are logical developments from 24 but not 25/2 - as announced D5282 - with later body style - cantrail grilles instead of body side.  25/0 would be more logical!

Will drop Bachmann an email and see what they say

Reply has come back:

We can confirm that the tooling for the Class 25 Diesel sub classes are to be produced off stand-alone tooling and are a separate project following on from the Class 24/1 Diesels. Source information has been extensively researched by our design experts and we have gone to great lengths to ensure the models produced will be true to prototype for the stated period in the livery they will carry.   

When we manufacture our tooling, we have options to include different slide inserts in the mould tools to provide different features that are unique to a loco for the period we choose to present the model in.

We trust this this answers your questions and we assure you that we will be going to great lengths to ensure these models are presented in the most accurate detail possible.

Best regards,

Steve Tooley

So its the slides that are key I guess .... get it right and any variant can be produced. Many thanks Bachmann for the clarification and engagement.

Phil

Will these ever be released? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Now with another 25 announced, will Bachmann pull the plug? Unless they can undercut Heljan with price I can’t see them beating the others. Happy to be proven wrong though. 

Indeed, being last to the party may well mean that there are very limited sales left. Given the RRP for Heljan is £179.95 and the RRP for a Bachmann 24 is £159.95, undercutting is a possibility though.

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

Now with another 25 announced, will Bachmann pull the plug? Unless they can undercut Heljan with price I can’t see them beating the others. Happy to be proven wrong though. 

Will SLW just continue to sell direct?

If so then it's market will be smaller than Bachmann's, Heljan too use Bachmann to extend their market through the EFE brand so Bachmann has a good base from which to continue selling models that are duplicated.  The Heljan 25 has been well received but there are plenty of people also saying they will wait and buy the Bachmann (perhaps though they may now also wait for an SLW and many Heljan purchasers also).

If you've committed funds to the development and are nearly there, do you write off the investment or plough on and recoup your costs?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The Heljan 25 has been well received but there are plenty of people also saying they will wait and buy the Bachmann

I thought Bachmann were only offering 25/0 and 25/1 — not the later body style which is the only one Heljan offer at present.

• Informative/Useful 1

With the 2 other competitors being rather far along, and the Bachmann model being announced a long time ago.Will it be outdated by its eventual release? I do wonder how it will stack up, maybe if they update it to the plux 22 system and other modern features, whilst still being cheaper, it may stand a chance.  And the question is, is there a demand for 3 high quality rats. But then again this is all speculation.

Edited by Class 158 productions

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

25/1 and 25/2 they are producing with the latter very similar to a 25/3

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/category/153/class-25-2-d5282-br-two-tone-green-(small-yellow-panels)/32-341

Class 25 sub-classes confuse everybody it seems, particularly whether D7500-67 are 25/2 or 25/3 - I've just checked 4 sources and they were split down the middle! The true situation, as any Ian Allan combo of the period will confirm, is:

D5151-75 (25001-25) = Class 25/0

D5176-5232 (25026-82) = Class 25/1

D5233-99/7500-97 (25083-247) = Class 25/2

D7598-677 (25248-327) = Class 25/3

Class 25/0 looked all but identical to Class 24 with headcode boxes.

Class 25/2 therefore included both body styles (D5233-99/7500-67 = late, D7568-97 = early).

The different sub-classes were created by upgrades to the traction equipment as the builds progressed.

Class 25/1 D5179-82 were not boiler fitted so were the only early design without underframe water tanks (there were one or two which lost their water tanks later in life, including 7592/25242) - Class 25/2 D5233-7 were boiler fitted so were the only late design with underframe water tanks. Bachmann got D5233 and D5237 right but messed up on D5182........perhaps they should have stuck with D7581 as shown in the catalogue!!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3