Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

I'd argue that the Hornby one is the better of the two, certainly a far better shape than the Bachmann model.

Hi Neil

I am happy to run the Bachmann model along side the Hornby one, both look like Sulzer Bo-Bos despite their flaws. The prospect of a new and better one is excellent news and if i get one it will rub shoulders, even possibly double head with the models I already own.

I even have a DJH one that needs a repaint.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No it’s not difficult to respray a loco Clive especially green to blue and vice versa. I’ve done many as I know you have.

But I’d much rather buy a new tool model in the livery I want rather than the respray route especially at over £100 plus investment.

It’s a question of time really, Bachmann are certain to produce a green 25/1 and blue 25/2. I’d prefer to wait, ive got a long enough queue In the spray booth.

Neil

Hi Neil

The opening sentence was a bit of a micky take, I have always been making and painting (when I get round to it) what I want.

post-16423-0-59593200-1515600459_thumb.jpg

Left to right Hornby conversion, Bachmann, DJH (purchased in this livery, still waiting its turn in the paint shop).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

From what I have gleaned of the Bachmann announcement D5282 was a class 25/2 but from a visual model point of view was identical to a class 25/3. This means that boiler details apart it could represent D5233-D5299, D7500-7567 and D7598-D7677.

There were a few odd-balls with the later bodystyle - D5233-5237 which were boiler-fitted, and D7611-7623 with tablet catcher recesses. There were also a good number of (non-boilered) locos that had the boiler grille sheeted over from about 1976 to 1980.

A real bug bearer for me is the 3 body side grab/foot step rails. If Bachmann have gone to such lengths to 'get it right', I presume these will be plated over on ALL blue versions, or offer them in the detail bag!  :good:

There won't be any of these issues when the SLW versions finally arrive, we can have confidence in all variants being correct....................... :jester: .

Edited by tractor_37260

There won't be any of these issues when the SLW versions finally arrive, we can have confidence in all variants being correct....................... :jester: .

So what you are saying is that Phil Sutton's black cat will be even blacker that Bachmann's black cat, even though Phil's is not even born yet, but Bachmann's is in the incubator.

Yeah worreva

You have the advantage over us in knowing which specific models SLW are producing - coz we don't.

• RMweb Gold

Mr Mortimore

I must take you to task over that DJH 25 - Those tanks are at the wrong end! Tee hee

Reversal of body relative to chassis is indicated please - unless its a 25/4 of course, new variant!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Mr Mortimore

I must take you to task over that DJH 25 - Those tanks are at the wrong end! Tee hee

Reversal of body relative to chassis is indicated please - unless its a 25/4 of course, new variant!

Phil

Thank you Lord Abbotswood

I have never noticed. I could have put the chassis on wrong when trying to get the thing to work but I think I put it the way it came off as it will only fit one way form memory but I will have a look this evening.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

I would have liked the SLW 25 particularly if it has/had the detail as per the 24.  Maybe, just maybe the Bachmann 25 will arrive way before the SLW version.  I think Mr Sutton has missed the boat.

Mike

So what you are saying is that Phil Sutton's black cat will be even blacker that Bachmann's black cat, even though Phil's is not even born yet, but Bachmann's is in the incubator.

Yeah worreva

You have the advantage over us in knowing which specific models SLW are producing - coz we don't.

"Incubator" - that be the same one as the 24/1 - 158 - Mk2F's etc have been in for 5+ years ?.......rather odd to finally announce a retool-ed 25 now, but will it be accurate this time ? , recall it took 5 attempts to get a plausible 37................

I've no prior insight into what specific Class 25 models SLW  may/will eventually produce, but it's obvious most if not all variants will be considered for production, to help recoup the tooling costs. The main thing is it will be as accurate as possible....."they care about getting it right". and then there's the RRP of the re-tooled 25 and 24/1 - TBA ? what's that about, and yet they still expect consumers to pre-order models from retailers so they can base their production quantities on them..........

Yeah worreva indeed................ 

For my money, the re-tooled 25 won't be in the same league as the SLW 25.  It will only be announced, once it's actually available to purchase....that makes a lot more sense to many.............myself included...........simples...nuff said......

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah worreva

We have seen a lot more of an SLW detailed class 25 than we have a Bachmann retooled/detailed class 25. So I am not quite sure where you are heading with your comment.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

When-oh-when will Bachmann manage to make a half decent model? I was only just thinking when I looked at the Blue Pullman, my goodness isn't it a shame that we're saddled with a Bachmann model. OK it is one of the best models ever made in OO but we all know it'd have been so much better if made by SLW. Ditto the 85, it fills me with rage whenever I look at my Bachmann 85's to know we were robbed of being able to have them made by somebody else. :devil:  :devil: 

• Like 1

Thanks Andy but I'm still waiting to see "a lot more of the SLW detailed Class 25" Unobtanium I'm afraid - future proofing the Class 24 chassis doesn't mean one will ever be made unless there's a demand for it and the only future model currently listed is of course the RTC oddity. 

Edited by Bob Reid

• RMweb Gold

Whereabouts Roy?

The point is SLW have some class 25 bits (sandboxes etc) on their 24 and the chassis suits both - far more than we have ever seen on the new Bachmann 25. Which flies in the face of the comment made earlier suggesting the SLW 25 is non existent and the Bachmann one is somehow more advanced.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

It's not worth getting into an argument about Roy as we are talking about the difference between a large company that juggles many balls, usually comes good in time (no matter how long that might be) who in recent years has been producing some excellent models (The Prototype Deltic) and a small company who to date has produced only one in several flavours albeit with scope for other variants who has not indicated anywhere that a 25 is being produced.  I know who I'd put my money on.  Only time will tell.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Mr M!

Wouldn't want problems when she came to visit your refuelling point....

Phil

Hi Phil

Your concerns regarding the body being on back to front have been addressed. Mind you it didn't like going on the right way round, it was a bit of a fight. I have a feeling that it was made the wrong way round and when I threatened it with the choice of window it wanted throwing out because it wouldn't work. I put it back the way I took it off because that was the way it fitted the body.

It's not worth getting into an argument about Roy as we are talking about the difference between a large company that juggles many balls, usually comes good in time (no matter how long that might be) who in recent years has been producing some excellent models (The Prototype Deltic) and a small company who to date has produced only one in several flavours albeit with scope for other variants who has not indicated anywhere that a 25 is being produced.  I know who I'd put my money on.  Only time will tell.

10 to 1 Bachmann will be first past the post. 

12 to 1 SLW will win

Odds for a 1160 hp locomotive with a headcode box

7 to1  SLW

15 to 1 Bachmann

As for a 25/0

50 to 1 SLW

51 to 1 Bachmann

evens the flying pigs will be first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's not worth getting into an argument about Roy as we are talking about the difference between a large company that juggles many balls, usually comes good in time (no matter how long that might be) who in recent years has been producing some excellent models (The Prototype Deltic) and a small company who to date has produced only one in several flavours albeit with scope for other variants who has not indicated anywhere that a 25 is being produced. I know who I'd put my money on. Only time will tell.

I am not and was not looking for an argument, simply demonstrating that the comment that SLWs 25 is not yet born but that Bachmann’s is in an incubator is incorrect.

As for your comment, if I was to use the word “excellent” to refer to one if the manufacturers, it wouldn’t be Bachmann that gets it. I don’t recall a single model from them that is available to purchase that has raised the bar anywhere near the SLW 24. Yes the EPs and specs are looking good, but time will tell whether the finished products lives up to expectation.

Roy

Sorry Roy I meant I wasn't wanting to start an argument over it not that you were. Only time will sort out the rest once SLW have actually produced the 24/1 and 25 variants(particularly the 25/3's) rather than the livery and small detail tweaks that have happened since it's launch.

​Clive, do you take accumulator bets? - there's money to be made in a triple though I doubt I'll get Ladbrokes interested.:)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

Your concerns regarding the body being on back to front have been addressed. Mind you it didn't like going on the right way round, it was a bit of a fight. I have a feeling that it was made the wrong way round and when I threatened it with the choice of window it wanted throwing out because it wouldn't work. I put it back the way I took it off because that was the way it fitted the body.

12 to 1 SLW will win

7 to1  SLW

15 to 1 Bachmann

As for a 25/0

50 to 1 SLW

51 to 1 Bachmann

Bachmann already make a Flying Pig. :jester:

Hi Phil

12 to 1 SLW will win

7 to1  SLW

15 to 1 Bachmann

As for a 25/0

50 to 1 SLW

51 to 1 Bachmann

If you were  a "Bookie" you'd be skint !

Edited by brittannia

• RMweb Gold

D5218 at Brighton, June 1965.  Perhaps a useful roof shot (regardless of who makes the model):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/14548699702/in/album-72157643950295015/

Many thanks for sharing

That shows the revised exhaust arrangement off to a tee ...... the original was a round port in the narrower panel immediately to the left of the oblong port installed here....

Phil