British Z (1:220)

Inbetween the main 7mm scale projects of LLC I have been working on the Z project in spare moments.

A very nice chap is currently making a test track with the Martin Wynne-designed turnouts to start off the testing phases. These will test the basic principles of the new standard, and we'll build upon that with various sizes of turnouts and curves, starting with a B7.

In virtual terms I've been playing with the arrangements of various components inside the model shell. The Class 25 pictured below is one of the smallest locos we'll produce, so is ideal to test-fit components. We also plan to produce a Class 22 in Z, which is slightly smaller, but the 25 is sufficient to prove the case.

post-11337-0-22676700-1520472406_thumb.png

The green and orange block is the motor/gearbox, the red components are PCBs and the blue block is the speaker. Yes, a built-in speaker. I'm working on two sound transmission principles at the moment, but still waiting for samples of both to arrive before choosing.

The bogie frames themselves will be very heavy, which avoids the need for a chassis block taking up valuable space inside the model body. All components can therefore be clicked into position using lugs in the moulding, or in the case of precision components, be screwed into an exact location.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Justin. I'm finding it a very interesting side project to LLCs main product line. It presents a lot of challenges, but they are great fun to solve.

The test track will be ready soon so testing of bogies can start in earnest. These will be simple acrylic frames just to test how different prototypical wheelbases can manage on a new standard like this. We'll gradually tighten the radius and type of turnout until we get a failure on one or all of the bogie lengths, and then we'll have our limit.

KitPart Ltd (our fledgling manufacturing arm) has a CNC mill to add to its injection moulding machine, and the plan is to manufacture and assemble these models ourselves, entirely in-house. It's a couple years off at the moment, but I'm quite excited about the prospect. It would be good to bring in some manufacturing partners to ease the burden a bit. Having proved the concept, a track manufacturer would be a big help, along with some manufacturers of rolling stock and infrastructure. I have spoken to a bespoke kit manufacturer of buildings who is very keen on the project. They produce some very innovative designs, so if anyone is interested please visit them here: www.postcardmodels.co.uk and tell them Little Loco Company sent you.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I ordered a Rokuhan 'Shorty' loco chassis for $15, what a bargain, but the only UK loco I thought might fit it is the Ford BTH diesel boxcab. Simon from Recreation 21 rescaled his 3D print of the loco to fit and it's now available. So British Z may not be so hard after all. There must be scope for rescaling British rolling stock bodies too. Or even complete wagons and just inserting wheelsets.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D298XRMNL/b-220fs-fd-dag-diesel-loco-1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nothing has come out of LLC in their 7mm range, Steve has been unwell.

I have had some Zgauge prints from Shapeways and the Rokuhan Shorty has been running well on the GCR 'Bridge' model at shows.   There is a static HST power car, A4 [Atlas] and running GCR petrol-electric railcar in the photo below from my workshop.  

image.jpeg.6ed2068a5029cb2692dbb51b747626c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.aa2eef302c7c60ac8272f37872f93880.jpeg

Dava

• 1 month later...

Because there is no separate section on this forum. I am writing to this thread. Just to let you know that I am developing a switch motor for handlaid Z gauge turnouts: 

this is the first ptototype, it has been improved since I last shot this video. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/01/2018 at 09:17, HSB said:

Perhaps you should consider doing something for T (1:450) as there does appear to be a small following for that in this country.

I was looking for UK rolling stock in z gauge, as I only have a small place & wanted to model the trains I  grew up with back in the 70's. I was seriously disappointed as z gauge doesn't cater for UK rolling stock. No starter train sets in z gauge for UK rolling  stock, either. I have however, just bought  my first t gauge starter  train set & am really impressed with it!

With a 12 inch by 16 inch coffee table, you can do a basic 2 loop oval layout. Despite it's very small size, t gauge is very well catered for. The train set I bought is the BR Inter-City 125 HST. You can get 2 versions of this actual set, whereby one set has track that goes round the track from the other set, giving you you your 2 loops of track & start of a basic layout. You can also get the GNER Inter-City 125 HST train set, which is similar. These sets are no more expensive than n gauge sets by Gaugemaster. There are also other options in t gauge if you follow this link: https://www.tgauge.com/ 

I do do n gauge at present & am happy with that, but just fancied trying a smaller scale out of curiosity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am an N gauge & 2mm modeller and have done a 3D printed narrow gauge barclay steam engine.
This is my 3D print but planning on getting a detailed Shapeways one hopefully with chimney!

Problem is how to motorise it for Z gauge as its less than 1cm in height.

It may not be possible!

I have a ‘shorty’ but this looks too high

Just bought some cheap 4X8mm motors on ebay , So maybe try a DIY job?

Also wondered about conversion of a t gauge chassis?

Anyone any advice?

KR

Matt

19477744-A1F6-4428-BCF3-3F4E09CE2D33.jpeg

• Like 3

On 07/07/2019 at 10:10, aNONYMOUS said:

I was looking for UK rolling stock in z gauge, as I only have a small place & wanted to model the trains I  grew up with back in the 70's. I was seriously disappointed as z gauge doesn't cater for UK rolling stock. No starter train sets in z gauge for UK rolling  stock, either. I have however, just bought  my first t gauge starter  train set & am really impressed with it!

With a 12 inch by 16 inch coffee table, you can do a basic 2 loop oval layout. Despite it's very small size, t gauge is very well catered for. The train set I bought is the BR Inter-City 125 HST. You can get 2 versions of this actual set, whereby one set has track that goes round the track from the other set, giving you you your 2 loops of track & start of a basic layout. You can also get the GNER Inter-City 125 HST train set, which is similar. These sets are no more expensive than n gauge sets by Gaugemaster. There are also other options in t gauge if you follow this link: https://www.tgauge.com/ 

I do do n gauge at present & am happy with that, but just fancied trying a smaller scale out of curiosity.

I have a small amount of T gauge equipment related to a project I did a few years ago, and I am amazed at the way British prototype T gauge has taken off, given that the same thing did not really happen with Z gauge. I think Eishindo is still the main/only ultimate source of mechanisms, even more than Märklin is in Z, so I just wonder why British T gauge has developed so much more. I have some static 006.5/H0f bits and pieces but am tempted to do something a bit more involved. Would any of the Busch H0f mechanisms be useful for any of this?

• 2 months later...

On 10/09/2020 at 19:17, kingrail said:

Hi

I am an N gauge & 2mm modeller and have done a 3D printed narrow gauge barclay steam engine.
This is my 3D print but planning on getting a detailed Shapeways one hopefully with chimney!

Problem is how to motorise it for Z gauge as its less than 1cm in height.

It may not be possible!

I have a ‘shorty’ but this looks too high

Just bought some cheap 4X8mm motors on ebay , So maybe try a DIY job?

Also wondered about conversion of a t gauge chassis?

Anyone any advice?

KR

Matt

19477744-A1F6-4428-BCF3-3F4E09CE2D33.jpeg

I reckon you might be able to fit a motor small enough akin to this one used in order to power a 1:150 RC car:

Of course it's very fiddly work - as the video very well demonstrates! You will probably need to fashion the wheelsets for the loco yourself, so that one has a geared axle. You will also need to do this if you wish to have coupling rods and attaching those to the wheels is another challenge as well.

Your easier option is to make the loco run as a dummy and buy pre-built motorised chassis for a carriage or wagon from the uk supplier: https://www.tgauge.com/section/28/1/kit-bashing

Edited by Hando

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 07/07/2019 at 10:10, aNONYMOUS said:

Hi mate. Gaugemaster & Dapol both do rolling stock in O, OO & N gauge, 3 different scales. I'm surprised neither of these companies have gone down the z gauge route for British rolling stock. Both Dapol & Gaugemaster collection are doing fantastic model locos in N gauge of late, with 5 pole motors & all driving wheels. If these 2 companies could transfer these skills to z gauge we could have quality British rolling stock in this scale.

These 2 companies are really leaving Graham Farish behind with regards to N gauge. Farish have lots of new products due for release & have been due for release for years now! It's like they're still trying to sell off old stock first that just doesn't seem to be shifting, before releasing new material! Graham Farish used to be my first choice when buying N gauge rolling stock, but I've virtually given up with them now. I just hope Farish doesn't fold because that'll mean one less N gauge manufacturer! They seriously need to get their fingers out!!:(

I too have several t gauge train sets, the EWS starter set with 1 loco, oval of track & battery operated controller. I liked this so much that I bought a 2nd EWS loco to add to the set. Since then I've bought 2 of each of the 2 different HST train sets with different sized tracks & done as you've quoted in your post! Vid link below:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-2LtKBk-iUgjHUOAH_swgKmfRk

Edited by Zorch
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Zorch said:

Hi mate. Gaugemaster & Dapol both do rolling stock in O, OO & N gauge, 3 different scales. I'm surprised neither of these companies have gone down the z gauge route for British rolling stock. Both Dapol & Gaugemaster collection are doing fantastic model locos in N gauge of late, with 5 pole motors & all driving wheels. If these 2 companies could transfer these skills to z gauge we could have quality British rolling stock in this scale.

These 2 companies are really leaving Graham Farish behind with regards to N gauge. Farish have lots of new products due for release & have been due for release for years now! It's like they're still trying to sell off old stock first that just doesn't seem to be shifting, before releasing new material! Graham Farish used to be my first choice when buying N gauge rolling stock, but I've virtually given up with them now. I just hope Farish doesn't fold because that'll mean one less N gauge manufacturer! They seriously need to get their fingers out!!:(

I too have several t gauge train sets, the EWS starter set with 1 loco, oval of track & battery operated controller. I liked this so much that I bought a 2nd EWS loco to add to the set. Since then I've bought 2 of each of the 2 different HST train sets with different sized tracks & done as you've quoted in your post! Vid link below:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ak-2LtKBk-iUgjHUOAH_swgKmfRk

If you imagine how small the market for N is, then imagine how big a z market in the UK would be.

Farish are not being left behind by Dapol and Gaugemaster are not building their own stuff it is rebadged Dapol or in the case of Mr Kato, they are simply selling them like they do other Kato stuff.

Dapol locos still don't have the best electrics, they are just getting around to putting in Next18 but still not leaving space for speakers except for the class 50 which actually has a space to put in a speaker.  Contrast with Farish, they are going through their range and converting the chassis to Next18 and putting in speakers so you simply need the sound decoder.

Then there is the recent release of an 8F, the class 40s and 31s plus some nice coaching stock, Dapol by comparision apart from the 68 are doing very little new in N and the latest upgrade to the M7 doesn't even come DCC ready.

On 18/04/2021 at 19:12, woodenhead said:

If you imagine how small the market for N is, then imagine how big a z market in the UK would be.

Farish are not being left behind by Dapol and Gaugemaster are not building their own stuff it is rebadged Dapol or in the case of Mr Kato, they are simply selling them like they do other Kato stuff.

Dapol locos still don't have the best electrics, they are just getting around to putting in Next18 but still not leaving space for speakers except for the class 50 which actually has a space to put in a speaker.  Contrast with Farish, they are going through their range and converting the chassis to Next18 and putting in speakers so you simply need the sound decoder.

Then there is the recent release of an 8F, the class 40s and 31s plus some nice coaching stock, Dapol by comparision apart from the 68 are doing very little new in N and the latest upgrade to the M7 doesn't even come DCC ready.

I wonder why Hattons have stopped selling new Farish & Bachmann products? I know you can still get existing Farish & Bachmann stock at Hattons but Hattons aren't selling any newly released stock & appear to have largely dropped Farish & Bachmann.

22 minutes ago, Zorch said:

I wonder why Hattons have stopped selling new Farish & Bachmann products? I know you can still get existing Farish & Bachmann stock at Hattons but Hattons aren't selling any newly released stock & appear to have largely dropped Farish & Bachmann.

Because Bachmann stopped supplying them.  Neither company have publicly said what happened but we all have theories.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...