New Kernow Hornby limited editions..

adb968008

Not the best pics just done quickly this morning. A light weathering and she'll be spot on

Beautifully finished it looks stunning, the only problem I have with it is that it should have the bodyside banding as per the prototype. But apart from that it's great. Well done to kernow for producing some interesting livery class 31s.

Beautifully finished it looks stunning, the only problem I have with it is that it should have the bodyside banding as per the prototype. But apart from that it's great. Well done to kernow for producing some interesting livery class 31s.

Well done to Kernow for producing any class 31s ! - I've got them both on order myself, should be with me tomorrow.

It's always seemed to me that the class 31 is well under-represented compared to the sheer variety of 37s and 47s, for example, that you can get. I suspect this is down to the issues on the early releases with Mazak rot, but with past lessons hopefully learned there seems little reason why history should repeat itself. I hope these will be a success for Kernow, and that (even if Hornby themselves don't) more versions are produced, both of earlier liveries ( eg green with or without SYP) and later ones, preferably weathered BR blue to replace the ones that suffered from Hornby's manufacturer's QA all those years ago.

Well done to Kernow for producing any class 31s ! - I've got them both on order myself, should be with me tomorrow.

It's always seemed to me that the class 31 is well under-represented compared to the sheer variety of 37s and 47s, for example, that you can get. I suspect this is down to the issues on the early releases with Mazak rot, but with past lessons hopefully learned there seems little reason why history should repeat itself. I hope these will be a success for Kernow, and that (even if Hornby themselves don't) more versions are produced, both of earlier liveries ( eg green with or without SYP) and later ones, preferably weathered BR blue to replace the ones that suffered from Hornby's manufacturer's QA all those years ago.

Come on Hornby...............lets have some non-yellow panel headcode green Brush Type 2's for next year and maybe even a 'skinhead' one in final green livery with yellow panel.

If you can do it for Kernow then.................?  I hope Kernow does follow this up with the blue D5578, the early era Brush Type 2's always seemed to sell well and they are very scarce at the minute. My ochre D5579 is on its way!

Good work kernow. There’s a rich seam of colourful 31s to be mined, and finally Hornby has allowed a start.....

Now does anyone know anything about 50010 and it’s blue roof ? What period does this date it to please ?

Yep, they've arrived.....within 30 minutes of DPD (efficient as usual) doing the business they were both being tested, and I'm very happy with both. I confess it was the RTC one I nearly didn't buy - not quite my usual era - but having bought it I'm glad I did, it looks absolutely superb.

Would love 31/4 in blue. 31 in Railfreight minus the red stripe and 31/4 in Mainline (Intercity).

I thought up to these Limited Editons, Hornby had totally given up on the Super Detail 31, but now I have renewed hope that one or more of the above three could be produced by Kernow in another batch of Limited Editions or maybe even on general release.

Would love 31/4 in blue. 31 in Railfreight minus the red stripe and 31/4 in Mainline (Intercity).

I thought up to these Limited Editons, Hornby had totally given up on the Super Detail 31, but now I have renewed hope that one or more of the above three could be produced by Kernow in another batch of Limited Editions or maybe even on general release.

What would be absolutely superb was if Kernow commissioned a batch of blue/FYE class 31's with the same standard of weathering as was on their ltd edn Dapol 22's and 52's, which could look really filthy and careworn. I suspect on that latter point I can but dream....

• RMweb Premium

Come on kernow do an intercity mainline 31, having seen the RTC 31 I/c will look great. Also box is very "tight" on RTC 31 to remove sleeve LOL

Couldn’t agree more - mine looked like it had been ‘shoved’ into the sleeve. Not too bothered but it was a little difficult!

• RMweb Gold

A pair of Dutch 31’s would be nice for me, 31146 + 31147, summer 1992 this pair worked daily services to Pwheli from Birmingham with Regional Railways mk2’s. At some point 31146 acquired regional railways branding under the rear cab grills and later named Brush Veteran.

But i’d Also be up for a plain blue 31/4 .. even Lima didn’t make that many of them.

• Like 1

31404 in BR Blue with white bodyside stripe would be a prime candidate for me please Kernow/Hornby!

This was a minor celebrity back in the day and know locally as 'Dennis' or to give it it's full title 'Dennis the Demon' though not actually written on the loco from memory I don't believe. 

The stripe really did add something to the BR Blue livery and looked great!

Incidentally I don't think Hornby ever did a super-detailed version of a skinhead in BR Blue livery which was not weathered. Would love a pristine one of those  please. 31418 or 31111 would be my choice and I would happily renumber if necessary!

Edited by Opelsi
  • Like 2

For the white class 31 tail lights the 31452 DCR model was the same. I thought someone commented that it was something like the red leds not being shielded enough to stop the white light from the headlights getting out where it shouldnt

For the white class 31 tail lights the 31452 DCR model was the same. I thought someone commented that it was something like the red leds not being shielded enough to stop the white light from the headlights getting out where it shouldnt

Nope. For some reason Hornby went and redid the lighting box used for the LEDs. White LEDs worked alongside red which then lit up along with the marker light. I ended up taking the box apart and simply taking out the white LED for that part. They then worked fine after that. 

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally I don't think Hornby ever did a super-detailed version of a skinhead in BR Blue livery which was not weathered. Would love a pristine one of those please. 31418 or 31111 would be my choice and I would happily renumber if necessary!

31418 Bodicea was a regular on Manchester Blackpool / Southport workings (don’t think they trusted it on Barrow runs) for a couple of years gradually becoming more and more beaten up. It had painted white “discs” where they should have been, and at one point lost its central cab window... memories of it looking rough, belching black smoke, stalling and giving up on a rake of 4-5 mk1/mk2’s of different colours was a regular memory for me.. or seeing it awaiting rescue having failed at Bolton, Preston or Wigan.

All to often it’s rescue engine was a Regional Railways 31, Perenial Miles Platting Pilot 31232 (in red stripe railfreight), or The Ice Cream Van (31413).

Edited by adb968008

Nope. For some reason Hornby went and redid the lighting box used for the LEDs. White LEDs worked alongside red which then lit up along with the marker light. I ended up taking the box apart and simply taking out the white LED for that part. They then worked fine after that. 

really??? thats insane they've added extra parts that are never needed. None of the Class 31s have white lights fitted in the tail light position do they??? (even thinking preserved one doing that to avoid fitting the additional headlight box on the end

really??? thats insane they've added extra parts that are never needed. None of the Class 31s have white lights fitted in the tail light position do they??? (even thinking preserved one doing that to avoid fitting the additional headlight box on the end

The only preserved locomotive I can think of that has LED Tail/Marker in the same housing is 25059 at Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.