New Kernow Hornby limited editions..

adb968008

There is a colour photo of the Kernow prototype D5579 at Cambridge in August 1961. Scroll down to 2nd from last photo...

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cambridge/index15.shtml

Does anyone know of the approximate date it would have been repainted? Presumably into green/small yellow panel.

If it lasted in ochre 'til approx. 1965, I could play a little fast and loose with history and justify one. It is a very fine looking model in an unusual livery.

Edit: I've answered my own question, thanks Google. Link below shows it at Ipswich in July 1965, still in golden ochre, but with small yellow warning panel added.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115646323@N04/30475996240/

Edited to remove utter nonsense. Edited by locoholic

• RMweb Premium

Not so. I've seen several photos without the warning panel. There's one, for example, in The Early Years of the London Diesels.  And one in Pete 75C's post above.  I actually remember seeing D5578 and D5579 on Stratford shed just after their repainting in, I believe, early 1960.

Edited by Downer

Wasn't that the one as preserved rather than the 1985 GWR 150? 

I'm pretty sure it never had red plates before withdrawal. I think that the real plates are in the NRM or Steam and I think that Waterman has the other set.

I still reckon this would sell more than 350 though. Another trick missed I feel.

Jason

It only ever had the Red Backed plates in preservation. As modelled by Hornby complete with the LA branding under the drivers window which is only correct for preservation

The NRM dont have a set (they have the Sir Edward Elgar GWR Castle steam ones though) - Ive seen a genuine set (name,number, BR arrows and GWR Crest) owned by a member of a Class 50 preservation group, among the last things to be cast at BREL Swindon too, and cast brass so very heavy

As regards them selling or not, who knows, most of the Kernow Exclusive models can still be got from them, 512 editions. Personally I feel 50 or less is a true Limited number, but Hornby wouldnt make them in that few numbers without a big surcharge

Hello I like Hornby class 31 RTC 97204 But I wish Hornby just put on correct number is 31970 to normal mixed traffic train

Because class 31970 hauled from Leeds to Carlisle and return to Leeds over have electric heat

Pretty sure that back then there became an issue with the class 97 - something to do with drivers signing the classes. This led the 31 and the 47s being renumbered. According to this  http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=2&jndex=0&kndex=79&s_loco=47480  "throbbin Robin" 47480 was renumbered 97480 in September 1988, but less than a year later in July 1989 it became 47971 

From memory plus some extra research, 97203 was repainted from a capital stock 31298 upon the withdrawal of 24061 (97201) from RTC, however after a couple of weeks / maybe months service it caught fire and burnt out in 1987, I remember seeing it on the scrap line at Crewe,it was then replaced by a second class 31326 as 97204. It ran as this condition from some time, until renumbered 31970 in 1989.

If you’ve got modelzone RTC stock, this is the loco you want if your post 1987, the SLW 97201 (class 24 will cover from 1980-88,), along with class 46 ixion. It was common visitor to BR open days also.

The ochre livery class 31, was before my time, but reading up, BR was experimenting alternative liveries to Green, to increase visibility to track crews. D5579 was painted Ochre and looked quite good.

D5578 painted a sick plain blue, but was later with yellow ends, Triang modelled it like this with white lining, but I haven’t seen pictures of it like this..

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R357B-U_3300572_Qty1_1.jpg

The ochre-liveried Brush Type 2 was part of Brian Haresnape's attempt to see how many locos he could get painted in Stroudley's LBSCR 'improved engine green'. He managed it with the Class 31 and with D1015. Ostensibly, it was to improve visibility to Pway crews. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't that the one as preserved rather than the 1985 GWR 150?

I'm pretty sure it never had red plates before withdrawal. I think that the real plates are in the NRM or Steam and I think that Waterman has the other set.

I still reckon this would sell more than 350 though. Another trick missed I feel.

Jason

When I said 2000, I meant number of models made, not the year 2000, though it could quite possibly be both.

I’ve only ever seen 50007 with black backed plates, and I saw it many many times in BR days, it was everywhere, or maybe it was just me being everywhere it was ;-) but it’s plates were always black.

Edited by adb968008

When I said 2000, I meant number of models made, not the year 2000, though it could quite possibly be both.

I’ve only ever seen 50007 with black backed plates, and I saw it many many times in BR days, it was everywhere, or maybe it was just me being everywhere it was ;-) but it’s plates were always black.

As mentioned above, the release with red back nameplates was a production run and therefore not limited to a specific number. The Hornby Collectors Club model, weathered with black backed nameplates, was however limited to 500 models.

The two class 31 limited editions from Kernow are odd for two reasons -

There are no Cl 31s in the main range, so the production of the limited editions can't just be added to the main production run.

The one-off Golden Ochre livery variant will be done before two of the most common liveries/bodyshells of that time period - plain green, with headcode boxes, and green SYP with headcode discs.

There are no Cl 31s in the main range, so the production of the limited editions can't just be added to the main production run.

The one-off Golden Ochre livery variant will be done before two of the most common liveries/bodyshells of that time period - plain green, with headcode boxes, and green SYP with headcode discs.

I’ll think of a great ltd edition ,,,,,BR BLUE ( without mazak rot ), limit to 3000 pieces !

Seriously though, some nice items there and I’m sure KMrC will do well with these

• RMweb Premium

I’ll think of a great ltd edition ,,,,,BR BLUE ( without mazak rot ), limit to 3000 pieces !

Seriously though, some nice items there and I’m sure KMrC will do well with these

Plenty of good basic class 31s for Hornby to produce using the super detailed tooling, such as a

Class 31/4 refurbished,

31/1 refurbished

31/1 unrefurbished domino headcode,

un-refurbished with headcodes

refurbished skinhead,

Plus:-

RF large logo,

Dutch,

Civil Engineers Grey,

Mainline executive,

Dutch Transrail

Also in a Green a 31 with EE exhaust ports too.

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure that back then there became an issue with the class 97 - something to do with drivers signing the classes. This led the 31 and the 47s being renumbered. According to this  http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=2&jndex=0&kndex=79&s_loco=47480  "throbbin Robin" 47480 was renumbered 97480 in September 1988, but less than a year later in July 1989 it became 47971 

My understanding is that TOPS couldn't cope with the different maintainance schedules of the several different classes of locos running as a class 97. Class 97 at one time or another also included classes 24, 25, 37, 40, 45, 46 together with several classes of shunter.

I don't know how it coped with classes 89 (steam locos) and 99 (ferries) which would have similar problems of significantly different designs coming under the same class number.

Steven B.

Unfortunately the model of D5579 (R3674) that Kernow have on their website is technically incorrect as this shows English Electric exhaust outlets and by the time this locomotive was re-engined it was in green full yellow end livery.

To get this product absolutely correct Kernow need to insist that Hornby use the R2572 body moulding that they used in their versions of D5640,  D5657 (R3044) and D5829 (R3044a) in green livery with Mirrlees exhaust outlets.. Simon Kohler should be able to put his mark on this now as I have discussed certain issues with him in the past and he has responded well.

I will send a copy of this to Chris Trerise at Kernow to see if he can intervene.

Here's hoping it can be sorted then I can place my order!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm speculating this also, I am guessing we might see 31018 and D5500 in 2018 from a shop further north too.

Edited by adb968008

Glad to see some more 31's making an appearance. I may have to order one of those golden ochre ones, renumber it to the preserved one at GCR and yellow up those ends! As for the rather limited quantity of 31's being produced, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see other retailers announce limited editions to make a larger factory "run". For example there could possibly be another Hornby/NRM link up as one idea? 31 018 in BR Blue with yellow ends as currently in York for Locomotion Models, with D5500 in BR Green no warning panels as it has run in the past being produced for Rails Of Sheffield​? Although maybe as a preservation enthusiast I'm simply deluding myself into thinking this could happen  :yes: 

• Like 1

They might not do D400 as it never had the grabrails fitted above the taillights unlike the other 49, there was an article in a recent Rail Express Modeller showing how to do it

The D400 they did in 2017 was a bit of a mess. Original spec livery on a model with a refurb pattern roof... I never even checked if they did the handrails correctly!

Who’s to say other retailers are not going to announce limited edition Class 31’s which makes it a longer more viable production run? Or maybe Hornby have already recouped their tolling costs and that makes production runs of 350 viable

• RMweb Premium

The golden ochre Brush 2 was an East Anglia based loco whilst in this livery. Along with the plain electric blue one, they were experimental in trying to make them more visible. I doubt that it strayed far from the region in those days. There is a preserved one at the GCR that has however been painted in the same livery.

Stewart

Every time I go over to the GCR I look at this loco and wonder if an OO model would appear, so it comes as a bit of a surprise that one is. What interests me is as to whether there will be any changes/improvements to the chassis/running gear and lighting from the D5640 that I have. I have been disposing of my Class 30's and wondering if D5640  would go the same way.

Unfortunately the model of D5579 (R3674) that Kernow have on their website is technically incorrect as this shows English Electric exhaust outlets and by the time this locomotive was re-engined it was in green full yellow end livery.

To get this product absolutely correct Kernow need to insist that Hornby use the R2572 body moulding that they used in their versions of D5640,  D5657 (R3044) and D5829 (R3044a) in green livery with Mirrlees exhaust outlets.. Simon Kohler should be able to put his mark on this now as I have discussed certain issues with him in the past and he has responded well.

I will send a copy of this to Chris Trerise at Kernow to see if he can intervene.

Chris has kindly replied to me and stated that the exhausts will be correct on the model. He will be getting a revised sample..............................so good news!

• Like 2

D5829 is R3144A - just checked it on the box...