New Kernow Hornby limited editions..

adb968008

After Hornby yet again fail to provide us a main range 31/4 in Blue or Mainline Intercity version, it’s down to you Kernow to follow up last years commissions and provide us with a key Locomotive from the 80’s/90’s that is missing. A wide geographic area covered by these locomotives mean many layouts would benefit from one.

Then there is a 31/1, 31/2 and 31/3 in Original Railfreight minus red stripe.

The above plus 31/5 in Dutch/Engineers plain Grey. So many variants yet to be produced.

Really not sure why Hornby have not done a blue 31/4 with centre headlight or off set. They have the tooling, as they have produced Regional Railways (Centre headlight), DCR (Offset Headlight) and Fragonset (Offset Headlight) 31/4’s in the past. Would a DCR or Fragonset version really out sell a bog standard workhorse Blue version? No way. They’d sell a boat load.

It’s one of Hornby’s annoying habits that they keep producing quirky oddities that often have such a narrow timeline that not many would fit on many layouts.

So come on Kernow! There’s money burning a hole in my pocket here!! (And I suspect many more pockets are smouldering as well).

Couldnt agree more with this post. Quietly hoping for a while now that an Accurascale or other do a proper 31 and a variety of the popular colour schemes the 31's have had but never been modelled. i simply cannot believe the variants above wouldn't be popular sellers. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Couldnt agree more with this post. Quietly hoping for a while now that an Accurascale or other do a proper 31 and a variety of the popular colour schemes the 31's have had but never been modelled. i simply cannot believe the variants above wouldn't be popular sellers. 

It does come to something doesn't it, when you end up wishing for another manufacturer to 'pick up the reigns' on an already produced model, just in the hope that it'll get some liveries out there that you've been waiting, and hoping for.

By and large, I think Hornby's D&E models are of superb quality, and I think the class 31 is no exception, but over time you begin to wish that a-n-other manufacturer had land grabbed the class (and others) rather than the Margate crew, not that the model in question needs any real improvement (purely MY perspective), but in a selfish way you feel it's stifling the release of the examples YOU would like, and you're certain that had someone else taken the class up around the same time, we'd probably have had most, if not all the cried for liveries released by now, and we'd be back to re-releases of the early examples.

A shame.

• Agree 1

It does come to something doesn't it, when you end up wishing for another manufacturer to 'pick up the reigns' on an already produced model, just in the hope that it'll get some liveries out there that you've been waiting, and hoping for.

By and large, I think Hornby's D&E models are of superb quality, and I think the class 31 is no exception, but over time you begin to wish that a-n-other manufacturer had land grabbed the class (and others) rather than the Margate crew, not that the model in question needs any real improvement (purely MY perspective), but in a selfish way you feel it's stifling the release of the examples YOU would like, and you're certain that had someone else taken the class up around the same time, we'd probably have had most, if not all the cried for liveries released by now, and we'd be back to re-releases of the early examples.

A shame.

Its 15 years now since we first saw the Class 31 though - how long would you expect to have to wait for common and popular livery variations

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, D1051 said:

I notice from today's "newsletter" 27/03/2020 .That stocks are low of R3674 Brush Type 2 D5579 in Golden Ochre livery ....

Can i suggest , that as it sold well maybe a re-run R3674A with Small Yellow warning panels 

.....................................or as D5578 in Electric Blue livery!

Edited by BrushVeteran
wrong livery description
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

D5578 March 1962.jpg

thats pretty uninspiring as a livery, I Remeber the Lima version also years back and it was equally bland in model form...

i’ll pass...

however if someone was to do a BR Blue head code box, orange cantrail stripe with headlight, or a Dutch with headcode box as a 31/5, or a Mainline 31/4, or a 31413 in Ice Cream van livery, or a plain railfreight livery or or or....

so many liveries to pick from, so few done.

• Agree 1

I wish I could just walk down the road from here, and see it again at Chatteris station - both loco and line long gone.

I once saw D5578 & D5579, double heading on a west bound train on that line at Milton Road crossing in Cambridge. I even managed a photo. Sadly one of my so-called mates grabbed the camera later and managed to rewind the film, so the shot was ruined. 

Stewart

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I wish I could just walk down the road from here, and see it again at Chatteris station - both loco and line long gone.

I once saw D5578 & D5579, double heading on a west bound train on that line at Milton Road crossing in Cambridge. I even managed a photo. Sadly one of my so-called mates grabbed the camera later and managed to rewind the film, so the shot was ruined. 

Stewart

I too saw them a few times double heading including headboard carried on a freight, can't remember what it said though. Was at night at Cambridge when I was on DMU bound for Oxford sometime around October 1963.

I scanned this from a magazine years ago, it would be nice to see the original picture!

D5579_&_D5578_Temple_Mills_November_61.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2020 at 15:02, The Stationmaster said:

More than I did - in fact I didn't see either of the 'pretty coloured'(???) efforts among the numerous Brush Type 2s I did see. 

I did in fact ‘cop’ both on a couple of visits to KX in the early 60’s. They were a curiosoty and a welcome change from the sea of green

• Like 1