February 2018 Hornby Magazine and Hornby 2018 Catalogue Offer

Robin Brasher

I understand that the Hornby Magazine is offering the February 2018 issue with the 2018 Hornby Catalogue for £9.99 from W.H. Smith, Tesco and online from Key Publishing.

Last year my local branch of W. H. Smith at Swanage knew nothing about the 2017 offer and I cannot find it on Key Publishing website. Last year someone gave me an email address for Key Publishing's offer and I obtained both from them.

Hi.

This morning (Wednesday 10th Jan) I saw both the 2018 Hornby Catalaogue and Hornby Mag, February Issue, in Tescos,

There was no signage about a deal (As there wasn't last year in WHS Chester, but it still worked on the barcodes!).

So, I enquired, and tested the deal by self-scanning....a good use for the self check outs! ;)

Result, a £3.50 saving.

That is both the Feb Hornby Mag and 2018 Catalogue for £9.99, and Clubcard points too! smiley-cool.gif

I have just had a look on the Key Hornby Mag site...

I tried putting the two items in the basket, but no discount applied!

I could not find a bundle offer...but looked harder...

Seached Key for "Bundle", and on page 3 of the results (The last page...) ...

SPECIAL BUNDLE DEALHornby 2018 Catalogue plus Hornby Magazine February 2018 issue!This bundle saves you £3.50 on Combined RRP.

This is a link...

http://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/HM18BUNDLE/Hornby%202018%20Catalogue%20BUNDLE

Total price £9.99 (2nd Class P&P should be free...)

This for subscribers on the Hornby 2018 Catalogue page on Key Website...

SUBSCRIBERS CALL FOR YOUR £3.50 DISCOUNT

Edited by Sarahagain

I would just like to raise a question to any fellow Hornby Magazine subscribers on here. It seems the latest issue has already hit the shelves in some news outlets. However my subscription copy has not arrived yet. This is 5th or 6th month in a row that the magazine has arrived on the same day as the issue appears in the shops or a day later. I thought one of the benefits of subscription was getting the magazine earlier than the shops. Am I wrong to think this? If I am not wrong, has anyone else experienced something similar?

Edited by andyram

• RMweb Gold

I would just like to raise a question to any fellow Hornby Magazine subscribers on here. It seems the latest issue has already hit the shelves in some news outlets. However my subscription copy has not arrived yet. This is 5th or 6th month in a row that the magazine has arrived on the same day as the issue appears in the shops or a day later. I thought one of the benefits of subscription was getting the magazine earlier than the shops. Am I wrong to think this? If I am not wrong, has anyone else experienced something similar?

The same thing regularly happens to me with Traction, I'm a subscriber but invariably I see copies on the shelves of our local Easons before it drops through my letter box...

I did let the distributor know but didn't get a reply.

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi.

This morning (Wednesday 10th Jan) I saw both the 2018 Hornby Catalaogue and Hornby Mag, February Issue, in Tescos,

There was no signage about a deal (As there wasn't last year in WHS Chester, but it still worked on the barcodes!).

So, I enquired, and tested the deal by self-scanning....a good use for the self check outs! ;)

Result, a £3.50 saving.

That is both the Feb Hornby Mag and 2018 Catalogue for £9.99, and Clubcard points too! smiley-cool.gif

I have just had a look on the Key Hornby Mag site...

I tried putting the two items in the basket, but no discount applied!

I could not find a bundle offer...but looked harder...

Seached Key for "Bundle", and on page 3 of the results (The last page...) ...

This is a link...

http://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/HM18BUNDLE/Hornby%202018%20Catalogue%20BUNDLE

Total price £9.99 (2nd Class P&P should be free...)

This for subscribers on the Hornby 2018 Catalogue page on Key Website...

You wuz lucky. I self-scanned the pair in Smugs and no deal. Life is tuff.

• RMweb Premium

No, I didn't get a discount/special offer when I bought at WHS today, so paid the full whack at £13.49.

The February 2018 edition is excellent, and has news of Hornby's 2018 announcements. It has a good photo of the first engineering sample of the Maunsell Kitchen first, which I don't think has been seen elsewhere - looks like a lovely model for those of SR persuasion. It also has 2 photos of early 3D printed versions of the LNER Toad.

Bachmann, Graham Farish and Oxford Rail announcements for 2018 await the March edition, to be published on 8 February.

John S

Amazingly after last year's fiasco this year's logistical attempts seem to be improved. On the basis of 'sarahagain' posting in the Hornby 2018 thread I tried our local mid-size Tesco this morning and lo and behold both items were available and with the multi-buy discount plus clubcard points.

I found my copies on the rack on top of the newspapers island stand, so if they are not in amongst the usual magazines look there as well.

• RMweb Premium

Well I headed to WHS Paisley today they had both Hornby Mag and Catalogue . No obvious link between the two on display and they are on different shelves albeit still in the railway section . However when I used the scanner till thing (fast check out that's anything but by the time you've told it you don't want the 10T bar of choc on offer , and no I haven't used a carrier bag) it came up with the promotional saving of £3.50 meaning you get both for £9.99.    I only knew about it because of postings on here guys , so thanks for that. Have to say its not obvious  but well done Hornby for getting some visibility on High St

A quick look at catalogue shows its more or less the same format as previous years , so no major innovation there . There does seem to be a bit more detail in it and sections on the Era system and how they design models.  Will have a good peruse tonight with some red wine , but its not the excitement of opening a 70s catalogue. Maybe its the red wine.............or not enough!

• Like 1

I am surprised at Hornby putting Wagon Lits sleeping cars on the front cover of the 2018 catalogue with the Lord Nelson as it is over 40 years since Tri-ang Hornby produced these and there is not much demand for them.

I went on the Night Ferry from Dunkirk to Victoria in 1967. The Wagon Lits coaches ran onto rails on the ferry and then joined my train from Dover. It was one of the longest trains on the Southern and with the EMU it was coupled on there were about 25 coaches. I used to watch it go past Beckenham Grammar School every morning and there were some splendid 'Night Ferry' signs at Victoria Station. I would have liked to have got on this train and travelled to an destination somewhere in Europe.

I am also surprised that Hornby is producing the Lord Nelson class. How does Hornby know that Bachmann are not planning to upgrade them? Perhap s Hornby is not worried about competition from Bachmann.

Tri-ang Railways Wagons Lit was a one offf....

(A Short Pullman coach in blue with the "wrong" interior!)

Playcraft Railways had more CIWL coaches, and the French locos too!

In fact they made a "Night Ferry" Train Set!

http://www.playcraftrailways.com/P1460.htm

http://www.joueftrains.com/863.htm

• Like 1

I think that the first coach on my picture is a Playcraft Wagon Lits car.

I have now received my catalogue from Keys Publishing. The painting of Lord Nelson class locomotive no 855 'Sir Robert Blake' passing Folkestone Warren at dawn with the up Night Ferry circa 1938 on the cover by Malcolm Root used to be in the Rothbury Cards series.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am also surprised that Hornby is producing the Lord Nelson class. How does Hornby know that Bachmann are not planning to upgrade them? Perhap s Hornby is not worried about competition from Bachmann.

IIRC, Bachmann announced, when they released the last batch of their Nelsons, that they wouldn't be including it in their DCC re-chassis program.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

IIRC, Bachmann announced, when they released the last batch of their Nelsons, that they wouldn't be including it in their DCC re-chassis program.

John

Even if they did, it would take 4 years to arrived going by Bachmann’s current rate of releases. We all give Hornby stick about their releases, but at least they get Models to market regularly!

• RMweb Premium

I ‘accidentally’ bought a 2018 catalogue from W H Smiths at Peterborough Services yesterday.

I was planning to send off for one (and the Bachmann one) but by placing them at eye level in a shop I was in anyway they’ve just got a sale. And it was the last one on the shelf.

Good work Hornby. Just when I’d started buying n gauge again and all!

• Like 2

There is a lot of information about the Night Ferry, that is on the front cover of the Hornby Catalogue on the Shamrock Trains website at https://www.shamrocktrains.com/posts/night-ferry .

Ace Trains that produces 0 gauge models is more adventurous than Hornby and is taking orders for Night Ferry Continental Sleeper Cars. If there is a market for them in 0 gauge there should be one for the more popular 00 gauge.