February 2018 Hornby Magazine and Hornby 2018 Catalogue Offer

Robin Brasher

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised at Hornby putting Wagon Lits sleeping cars on the front cover of the 2018 catalogue with the Lord Nelson as it is over 40 years since Tri-ang Hornby produced these and there is not much demand for them.

I went on the Night Ferry from Dunkirk to Victoria in 1967. The Wagon Lits coaches ran onto rails on the ferry and then joined my train from Dover. It was one of the longest trains on the Southern and with the EMU it was coupled on there were about 25 coaches. I used to watch it go past Beckenham Grammar School every morning and there were some splendid 'Night Ferry' signs at Victoria Station. I would have liked to have got on this train and travelled to an destination somewhere in Europe.

I am also surprised that Hornby is producing the Lord Nelson class. How does Hornby know that Bachmann are not planning to upgrade them? Perhap s Hornby is not worried about competition from Bachmann.

I don't think Hornby will be worried about competition from Bachmann just yet; Bachmann are still playing catch up so Hornby will know anything they announce now (for same/next year delivery) won't be beaten by Bachmann.

As for the Wagon Lits, I think Hornby would have come in for lots of flak had they changed the coaches behind the LN on the catalogue cover, rather than use the painting as painted. And it could be a teaser for all we know, although somehow I doubt it.

Well, Tri-ang Railways had a re-built Merchant Navy in the cover painting in 1962!

It did take some time, but a model was made eventually! :)

(Also a BR standard Tender loco, Class 5MT 73088...)

Triang_Railways,_1962_catalogue_front_co

From...

http://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Tri-ang_Railways

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

Taliking (as I was) about models that took a long time to come to be realised.....

Looking up something else in Pat Hammonds "Story of Rovex" Volume 3, Hornby Railways, I came across this proposed .model....

R.558. LNER J36 No. 5211 in LNER Green livery.

Proposed in 1978, but not actually made...it would probably have used the "Jinty" chassis....

Now, in 2018, we are shewn the NEW J36 Class models! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Looking back at Pat Hammond's Story of Rovex I was interested to see how many items in the 1972 - 1996 range are still in the Hornby 2018 catalogue. These include rolling stock in the Railroad range, track and station platforms. The Ford Capris in R6423 BR car transport bogie wagon are beginning to look like classic cars.

They already are classic cars being well over thirty years old.  ;)

They stopped building them when BR Blue was still the main livery on the real railways in 1986. Mainly replaced by the Orion as everyone wanted four door cars rather than two doors at the time. I used to see trains full of the things coming from Halewood when I was a kid.

Jason

• Like 1