My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Some more work on my LBSCR van.

With the real thing having plenty of prominent rivets I was wondering how best to represent these. Trials with plastruct rod sliced and then manuevered onto the side of the van proved both very tricky and frustrating, so I bought myself a pin vice and some 0.5mm drill bits from Hobbycraft and set to, carefully drilling holes then pushing the rod through and cutting off. It still takes time but has produced a much better result - I've done about half and it is something that I can pick up, do a few and then put down again.

Apologies for the slightly ropey picture;

post-723-0-95238700-1522537745_thumb.jpg

When they are all done, I will try to make sure they are all the same height before priming.

I've also made the Axleboxes from Plastruct - this time 3.2 x 2.3 mm Deep Channel, filed slightly to remove the taper inside and then pushed over the exposed ends of the bearing. A sliver of 10 thou then provides the 'top'.

post-723-0-07625400-1522537910_thumb.jpg

Again, I'm pleased with progress so far - once I've finished the riveting springs will be next.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just to be pedantic (who, moi?) those are much more likely to be square nuts and bolts, not even bolt-heads as these were usually arranged to be (sometimes flush fitting as well) inside the vehicle, to prevent goods from being damaged.

Most workshops also tried to align the nuts with the edge of the ironwork (“strapping”), even if it was inside the vehicle.

So, quite possibly you should have square section nuts with just a hint of the bolt showing, but that way madness lies...

This stopped with BR designs, which used hexagonal nuts, tightened up without that extra twist.

Nice work, though.

Just to be pedantic (who, moi?) those are much more likely to be square nuts and bolts, not even bolt-heads as these were usually arranged to be (sometimes flush fitting as well) inside the vehicle, to prevent goods from being damaged.

Most workshops also tried to align the nuts with the edge of the ironwork (“strapping”), even if it was inside the vehicle.

So, quite possibly you should have square section nuts with just a hint of the bolt showing, but that way madness lies...

This stopped with BR designs, which used hexagonal nuts, tightened up without that extra twist.

Nice work, though.

Thanks - so would you recommend square section for future builds?

• RMweb Gold

Yes.

Problem is, it would be about 10 thou cubed, to scale.

10 thou square strip isn’t available, so you have to cut an approximately 10 thou wide strip from a sheet of the same, and then chop it up into cubes.

I have found a single edged razor blade ideal for both of these steps, using it as a chopper to rapidly cut the strip into sections. I don’t worry too much about accuracy, simply selecting the most-cuboid output and discard the rest. I have found that if I haven’t done it for a while, then I discard many more than I keep, and even when I get my eye in, I can still only use about 1 in 3.

If you aren’t worried about it being dead on to scale, you could use 20 thou square strip and chop that into cubes - or consider a larger scale! ;)

I wonder.....

As you've got all this rod, could you draw the knife edge along it, rotate 90 degrees and eventually end up with something square looking? I know some rod can be quite expensive and unless you've got other plans for it, maybe an experiment may be in order??

Nice looking wagon, bet you can't wait to finish it off, getting real close now.

Scott

I wonder.....

As you've got all this rod, could you draw the knife edge along it, rotate 90 degrees and eventually end up with something square looking? I know some rod can be quite expensive and unless you've got other plans for it, maybe an experiment may be in order??

Nice looking wagon, bet you can't wait to finish it off, getting real close now.

Scott

Worth a try! - This particular rod is the second thinnest Plastruct do (the thinnest wasn't on the stand at my local shop), and cost 40p a section. 

Yes, I'm certainly looking forward to getting done!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - so would you recommend square section for future builds?

The correct answer should be, only if it bothers you enough.

I wonder.....

That’s a great idea.

To get it square, put the rod into a pin-vice, and put a square nut (or make one out of a scrap of plastic card) on the tail end of the vice. Pop a bit of ⅛” or so thick wood under the rod, scrap with razor blade, rotate pin vice 90 degrees, scrape, repeat twice more.

Very quick.

Going through the process of building up the layers.

post-2873-0-43149600-1522704761_thumb.jpg

All the leaf springs (24 of em') have been made and stuck on.

This next picture is showing a closer view of the axle boxes.

post-2873-0-56304200-1522704886_thumb.jpg

It gets a bit more complicated now.

Will post more, as and when progress is made.

Scott

• Like 3

Seems like an age since I last posted.

Been a busy boy, everything is glazed with the brass window bar.

post-2873-0-14402200-1523055620_thumb.jpg

I've had a go at the corridor connectors. I'm currently doing the roofs.

post-2873-0-99700800-1523055705_thumb.jpg

And then there's the bogies...

post-2873-0-91873200-1523055751_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-57569700-1523055779_thumb.jpg

For some reason they haven't turned out as good as the Clerestory bogies.

I'm working on these in between doing bits to the roofs.

Seeya later

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Had next to no modelling time thanks to work and fitting/ glazing new interior doors. I've managed to get the LNWR CCT into primer though.

post-1937-0-89042100-1523297298_thumb.jpg

Hope to get more done soon.

Gaz.

Edited by gazman424
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Mr G

What materials are used in this model?

Hi Scott,

It is 99% card. The roof is just placed on at the moment. Buffers are from Wizard, W-Irons from Comet and the wheels are Romford. The middle axle is off until the chassis is painted. It still requires lamp irons, and I'll fit B&B couplings before the chassis is painted.

Gaz.

Hi Scott,

It is 99% card. The roof is just placed on at the moment. Buffers are from Wizard, W-Irons from Comet and the wheels are Romford. The middle axle is off until the chassis is painted. It still requires lamp irons, and I'll fit B&B couplings before the chassis is painted.

Gaz.

Never thought about using card to scratch build with.

Done many card rolling stock models?

What's it like to work with?

Where did the idea for using card come from?

Any particular make/thickness you'd recommend?

Cheers

Scott

Card and even paper are handy for details - thin plates, for example. I've not built completely in card, but there are some lovely models out there which have been. Don't forget, that's essentially what the buildings on Pendon are made of.

Edited by jwealleans

Can you guess what it is yet? (He says in a Mr R Harris accent)

post-2873-0-39582200-1523435585_thumb.jpg

Yes it is a straw, but what is it going to be?

Go on, post a guess. I'll give the answer this afternoon.

Scott

Edited by gobbler

I'm all outa wire of any sort, so the trusses and grab rails that go on the ends are on hold for a while. Going to need a trip to John Dutfields for some supplies. Still.......the steps that are on the ends are progressing.

post-2873-0-87051500-1523480947_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-85685000-1523480970_thumb.jpg

Still the double rain strips on the roof to do, talking of roofs, I've noticed some circular spots dotted over the roof. A hole punch makes em' too big. That's gonna be something to ponder over....

Any ideas Guy's???

Until then......

L8r's

Scott

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm all outa wire of any sort, so the trusses and grab rails that go on the ends are on hold for a while. Going to need a trip to John Dutfields for some supplies. Still.......the steps that are on the ends are progressing.

attachicon.gifIMG_8587.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8586.JPG

Still the double rain strips on the roof to do, talking of roofs, I've noticed some circular spots dotted over the roof. A hole punch makes em' too big. That's gonna be something to ponder over....

Any ideas Guy's???

Until then......

L8r's

Scott

How about slivers off a bit of rod the right diameter.

Best I can do will be to stretch some sprue to an appropriate diameter.

Again, if I choose rod (let alone his emu lol) that still means a trip to my 'local'. I've looking around my home and even the bristles on my broom are too thick.

Scott