My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Bit of a mini update

Found enough 0.45mm brass to complete 1 truss

post-2873-0-34694000-1523544516_thumb.jpg

Have tinkered with the double rain strips on one roof at the moment. I'm going to need some 4mm flat discs for the roof. Get your thinking caps on lads.......

Some of the slightly larger discs needed can be made from hole punch blanks. ( thanks Jonathan didn't see your post)

Also found a length of 0.33 brass wire and have made 8 of these

post-2873-0-81472400-1523544581_thumb.jpg

"These" being coach end grab rails

I'm definitely "all out" of wire now.

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 5

Those circular patches are where the gas lamp holders were plated over when these were converted to electric lighting, IIRC.I used a small hole punch (the wife has them in several sizes for use making cards, etc) and 80 gsm paper to make them.

Thanks for the info on those patches wondered what they were.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Never thought about using card to scratch build with.

Done many card rolling stock models?

What's it like to work with?

Where did the idea for using card come from?

Any particular make/thickness you'd recommend?

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

Can I paste a previous reply to that question? I'm on my lunch break so dont have loads of time!

Quote;

"I built this coach using the 'Jenkinson' method, very proficiently described by Mike Trice here;

http://www.rmweb.co....nkinson-and-me/

I generally use 3 thicknesses of card;

The interior is constructed from 1.25mm thick mount board;

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sides from 0.3mm thick card;

And I also use 0.4mm thick card;

I laminate the layers using a spray adhesive, and have had good results with this;

For other gluing, impact adhesive and PVA, the cheapo stuff from your local supermarket designed for kids, has also been used.

Obviously, all the materials above can be had from other suppliers!!"

Any other questions, please ask!

Gaz.

Edited by gazman424

Gaz, any info that may be of help and interest to readers of this thread is always welcome.

There are around 10 main followers of this thread, if we can attract more followers and inspire others to have a go at scratch building, the more the merrier. Between us all, swapping ideas and techniques , can only improve our builds.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

For other gluing, impact adhesive and PVA, the cheapo stuff from your local supermarket designed for kids, has also been used.

The cheap stuff is thinner, having been diluted. You can also simply dilute some of you existing glue stocks - you won’t be using much.

Trevor Nunn has built several coaches this way. He has further refined the process by shaping two pieces of wood, one concave, one convex, to match the tumblehome, and assembles a side at a time, placing them between the blocks whilst the glue dries, and putting a heavy book on top to weight it down whilst the glue dries. He uses the glue sparingly, diluting it so that it can be applied by capillary action (just as when using solvent with styrene), and doesn’t get the glue spurting out the sides onto the formers, but you can always cover then with cling-film to protect against glueing things into a solid mess!

Any wood will do: ¼” balsa, for example, can be sanded easily.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not gonna lie - I'm a LONG way from scratch building anything - but doesn't mean I'm not interested and impressed :)

If you photocopy the drawings onto thin card, all you need is a sharp scalpel (and an oilstone or plenty of blades as card is very good at dulling the edge!) a steel ruler, a cutting mat, some pva, water, paintbrush (for applying watered-down pva) and maybe some balsa blocks (see above) and some varnish for sealing the final result.

Just practice until you are happy with your ability to literally cut rounded corners.

It may be possible to print/copy onto thin plastic card, but I haven’t tried it. Other than styrene sheet and solvent vice card and diluted pva, it’s pretty much the same process with minimal requirements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IIt may be possible to print/copy onto thin plastic card, but I haven’t tried it. Other than styrene sheet and solvent vice card and diluted pva, it’s pretty much the same process with minimal requirements.

I tried printing onto thin Plasticard but the ink smudged as it ran through the printer,  it wasn't defined enough to cut accurately.

• RMweb Gold

One of the unsung* masters of plasticard coach construction, who developed his technique contemporaneously with David Jenkinson, was the late Norman Pattenden. His methodology was pretty much the same: cut the straight lines, leaving the curved corners alone. Make diagonal cuts across the corners, then make an X in the middle to allow snapping out of the centre. Use a round needle file to worry at the corner - find the right diameter on the file, and move it up and down by about 1/16” or 2mm. Finish off by removing any remaining “nibs” where straight meets curve. Job done.

He taught me a useful technique which is worth trying out, which is to take a small off-cut of 10 thou, (0.25mm) styrene sheet, and use it to practice marking out, cutting and worrying the corners, etc. There is enough in a 3” square to establish the technique, and it requires (as mentioned above) very little by way of tools - emory boards are a useful disposable file, which can be cut to fit into corners. Use a scriber or just a needle to put pop-marks around the waste edges of your panelling, use a 2H pencil to draw in the verticals and horizontals, and shade the sections for removal.

* As a senior manager for BR, he generally kept a low profile in the hobby, so was less of a “name” within it - although most names knew him or of him.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I corresponded with Norman for some years when I was a member of the 'S' Scale Society and he was a true gentleman and a highly skilled craftsman and model-maker.  I remember some photos of his LSWR coaches he sent to me and they were exquisite pieces of work.  I was deeply saddened when he died and the hobby suffered a great loss.

• Like 1

I've done a bit more to my coaches, I'll post a pick later.

But more interestingly, during my lunch, whilst looking through some of my reference books I've come across this...,..

post-2873-0-64686700-1524061729_thumb.jpg

A GE 3rd and guard coach, but you'll notice that there's none of the fine looking beading along the side.

Also I've discovered other pictures of the 3rd and guard with..,,.

A) recessed double guard doors

&

B) no guard duckets

I wonder what other variations there are and if anyone out there in RMweb land can add to this??

I know I need one or two more GER coaches, this will add a bit of variation.

See you later

Scott

The GERS site does mention changes to the beading etc. over the various types - I assume you've already trawled through there?

I have seen photos of some GER carriages without the lower beading. As I recall, they appear to be the later products, possibly post war pre-grouping.

• Like 1

Bucoops and Sweedy (1st time I've seen you my thread, welcome)

Cheers chaps, yep, I've read through the GER society pages, interesting read, especially the later diagrams which are of interest to me. However, it's getting the photos and knowing where to find them. That's the thing.

I've got the "Aspects of East Anglian steam" books by J D Mann, but most of the views are of the Locomotives and the coaches are quite oblique not showing the sides particularly well.

The best pictures I have are in "The Witham to Maldon railway" by Len Wilkinson and "Bishop's Stortford, Dunmow & Braintree Branch" by P Paye.

Can any of you chaps recommend any other books that have half decent pictures of coaching stock in particular, that would be appreciated. Most of you will know I'm into GER upto 1958.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

I have seen photos of some GER carriages without the lower beading. As I recall, they appear to be the later products, possibly post war pre-grouping.

Apologies, I should have refreshed my memory by re-reading before posting. I have a habit of mis-remembering things (and also a habit of forgetting that I mis-remember things...).

• RMweb Premium

I've done a bit more to my coaches, I'll post a pick later.

But more interestingly, during my lunch, whilst looking through some of my reference books I've come across this...,..

attachicon.gifIMG_8654.JPG

A GE 3rd and guard coach, but you'll notice that there's none of the fine looking beading along the side.

Also I've discovered other pictures of the 3rd and guard with..,,.

A) recessed double guard doors

&

B) no guard duckets

I wonder what other variations there are and if anyone out there in RMweb land can add to this??

I know I need one or two more GER coaches, this will add a bit of variation.

See you later

Scott

It's looks to me like there is lower beading around the doors, the inside corners look rounded so it's not clear whether the beading is actually on the doors or by the side of the openings or both, and I am sure that is a ducket behind the guard poking his head out.

Izzy

• Like 1

Bucoops and Sweedy (1st time I've seen you my thread, welcome)

Cheers chaps, yep, I've read through the GER society pages, interesting read, especially the later diagrams which are of interest to me. However, it's getting the photos and knowing where to find them. That's the thing.

I've got the "Aspects of East Anglian steam" books by J D Mann, but most of the views are of the Locomotives and the coaches are quite oblique not showing the sides particularly well.

The best pictures I have are in "The Witham to Maldon railway" by Len Wilkinson and "Bishop's Stortford, Dunmow & Braintree Branch" by P Paye.

Can any of you chaps recommend any other books that have half decent pictures of coaching stock in particular, that would be appreciated. Most of you will know I'm into GER upto 1958.

Cheers

Scott

Unfortunately I am away from home for the next 8 weeks, so I cannot check the titles. The particular photo I was thinking of appeared in a thin Ian Allen photo collection book and they have done several (e.g. on great eastern lines), including colour photos of GER carriages in the 50's. The photos appear with some half decent captions as well.

Another question for you chaps.....

In one of the "Aspects of East Anglian steam" by J D Mann there's a picture of this:-

post-2873-0-68657100-1524509721_thumb.jpg

I've made a drawing based on the GE 50ft corridor coach as below

post-2873-0-07680800-1524509791_thumb.jpg

But what's the other side like?

What is the Dia no.?

Is there a drawing out there?

Cheers

Scott

Nail on the head there, would still like to get the Dia no. Tho'

I thought it unusual with all the different window spacings and odd-ish door positions.

As I've done some GE coaches lately I thought it might make an interesting addition

Scott

Edited by gobbler

I think the diagram number for the one Tony built (of which I also have one) was D30E. There were about half a dozen of these and all slightly different. There are photos in the GE Journal of some of them. I may have a drawing but I'm not at home to have a look at the moment and won;t be until the end of the week.

Hi all,

I have been working on my coaches on and off.

Have found this picture, hope this door is the standard.

post-2873-0-88274900-1525039812.jpg

Because I've put em' on all 6 ends.

post-2873-0-88532500-1525039960_thumb.jpg

I've pretty much finished the roofs.

post-2873-0-50070100-1525040092_thumb.jpg

I intend to create a reasonable representation of an F4/F5 2-4-2 'Gobbler'. At the moment I'm trying to get a working chassis for it. I've also picked up my N7 0-6-2. Anytime I make any significant progress I'll post it here.

That camera is cruel. The coaches look better in the 'flesh'.

That's it for the time being.

Ta'ra for now

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 9