My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Cheers Martyn

Chapel is only about 4 miles away, last time I went there they had a steel Thompson being restored.

Don't remember any teak suburban stock.

Haven't got any spare time to get up there over the 6 weekends or so. I'd hoped to have my coach finished by then.

Cheers

Scott

Cheers Martyn

Chapel is only about 4 miles away, last time I went there they had a steel Thompson being restored.

Don't remember any teak suburban stock.

Haven't got any spare time to get up there over the 6 weekends or so. I'd hoped to have my coach finished by then.

Cheers

Scott

No worries, according to their site the coach is under cover in the shed to "dry out" after years in the open, not sure when that was posted though.

Bit more...

The foot boards that run along the sole bar and started work on the queen posts

post-2873-0-69500600-1517267922_thumb.jpg

The bogies are now complete

post-2873-0-78513100-1517268025_thumb.jpg

Will be concentrating on the underside now.

Once all that's done it's time for the door handles, 2x torpedo vents (have a couple of Alan Gibson castings) the foot plates that run up the ends and the hand rails, then it's really nearing completion.

Btw it's really free running...........which is nice

• Like 4

Bit more...

The foot boards that run along the sole bar and started work on the queen posts

IMG_5837.JPG

The bogies are now complete

IMG_5838.JPG

Will be concentrating on the underside now.

Once all that's done it's time for the door handles, 2x torpedo vents (have a couple of Alan Gibson castings) the foot plates that run up the ends and the hand rails, then it's really nearing completion.

Btw it's really free running...........which is nice

Very nice work, those bogies look great, glad they run nicely too.

• Like 1

Most impressed how do you ensure the bogies are all level and square? A pillar drill and laminate all the sides together?

Most impressed how do you ensure the bogies are all level and square? A pillar drill and laminate all the sides together?

I probably should do it the way you described above, but I cut out the blank size first, i.e. 46.5 x 7.5mm x 0.75mm thk, mark the hole centres using my vernier and using the tip of a fresh scalpel i make tiny holes in one end of each one. Using a 1mm drill, go through all four bogie blanks, leave the drill in, then run through the second set of holes making sure all the ends and sides are flat and square.

Cut out the profile of the bogie frame sides.

Open out the holes to 2mm add the bearing cups

When assembling them,:-

1. the main bogie blank (23.5mm wide, just the right width for Bachmann wheels) cut the wheel clearances out.

2. put an over-width piece along one of the ends cut to the correct height

3. butt the two sides upto it.

4. Put the other end on

5. On the inner of the wheel clearance glue two braces to add a bit more strength

6. Once dry, trim the over width bogie ends flush to the bogie side frame

The main bogie blank sits inside all the outer frame work and providing this is square, bobs your uncle.

You should have the basic bogies now ready for detailing.

You can buy axle boxes but scratch my own, these are super glued on top of the bearings and back filled with my squadron green putty (see previous pictures in the thread).

Any more Q's? Don't hesitate to post them. I'll answer them as quickly as possible.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler

An ickle bit more

Concentrating on the underside

Queen posts complete

The under frame

Battery boxes (for the later vehicles?)

Main foot board

post-2873-0-84323700-1517360468_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-06624200-1517360505_thumb.jpg

I'll finish the other side tomorrow

Then it's handles and the ends

TTFN

Scott

• Like 12

You can see how I've attached the foot boards that run under the sole bar here.

1mm diameter brass rod, cut to 15mm with 3mm bends at each end formed to a 'Z' shape, small notches are made in the foot board for each dropper, everything is superglued in place. It's getting a little fragile now, however, I am not intending to replicate any train crash.

post-2873-0-47451500-1517444003_thumb.jpg

Started work on the luggage end, Nicks drawing shows the 'emergency?' Rodding on the back here, but the accompanying photo in his book clearly shows nothing there. (Less work for me). Anyhoo a little bit more brass and copper work.

post-2873-0-95778600-1517444167_thumb.jpg

That's all for "2-nite"

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 8

You can see how I've attached the foot boards that run under the sole bar here.

1mm diameter brass rod, cut to 15mm with 3mm bends at each end formed to a 'Z' shape, small notches are made in the foot board for each dropper, everything is superglued in place. It's getting a little fragile now, however, I am not intending to replicate any train crash.

attachicon.gifIMG_6031.JPG

Started work on the luggage end, Nicks drawing shows the 'emergency?' Rodding on the back here, but the accompanying photo in his book clearly shows nothing there. (Less work for me). Anyhoo a little bit more brass and copper work.

attachicon.gifIMG_6030.JPG

That's all for "2-nite"

Cheers

Scott

Scott,

These coaches had a very long life and there are many detail differences. It’s possible the alarm gear depicted in the drawing is actually at the ther end. I have a photo of E63518 like this (no Westinghouse gear remaining) and another I can’t identity.

Referring to the photo ( E63518 again in late BR service) I note the step boards have been removed, quite common on old exGER stock, also the end steps are semi-circular on the vertical face and there is a larger single step at the top on the centre line.

I have built a couple of these from old kits in 7mm, mine have the larger windows in the corridor portions but are essentially the same. I am very fond of these old coaches and have enjoyed your build.

I hope this is helpful and not intended as criticism.

Bob

Hi Scott just caught up with your build. Very impressed. I particularly like how you have scratch built your bogies. 

I am going to build a couple of these coaches, but in 7mm. I have the book of drawings you have used so I will have to scale up but thats no problem.

I would like to ask if anyone who reads this if they know where I could get some drawings for the GER 6 wheel coaches?

Cheer's, Pete.

• Like 1

Hi Scott just caught up with your build. Very impressed. I particularly like how you have scratch built your bogies.

I am going to build a couple of these coaches, but in 7mm. I have the book of drawings you have used so I will have to scale up but thats no problem.

I would like to ask if anyone who reads this if they know where I could get some drawings for the GER 6 wheel coaches?

Cheer's, Pete.

I haven't seen/Don't know if there are any books available with them in, but the GER society holds drawings.

All I have is this from P. Paye's book "Bishops Stortford Dunmow and Braintree branch line" book. It doesn't show the panel details, but the general dims are there.

post-2873-0-60420600-1517513158_thumb.jpg

Look through jweallans threads he's building one in 4mm. He might know a bit more about them.

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 1

Nearing completion now.

Have fitted the air/vacuum pipe that runs down one side just under the foot board on the sole bar.

Fitted the MJT handles

Fitted The passenger door grab rails (0.33mm brass wire)

Added the air/vacuum pipes connector at either her end

post-2873-0-32118600-1517677983_thumb.jpg

Couple more jobs to do

1. The couplings

2. The running numbers, which brings me to this .......

I have several coaches that need numbering as below

post-2873-0-17652500-1517678210_thumb.jpg

With the "building program" I have, I'll be building at least another dozen or so coaches/carriages I'm going to need lots of numbering decals with lots of 'E's and loads of numbers on them. What's the best sheet to get? I'm modelling the transitional period upto about 1959

I have HMRS sheet 14 not sure what type of transfers/decals they are, they are on the sheet back to front! I'm used to seeing the decals the right way round, are they water slide? I've heard of methfix are they them? Help!!!!!!

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers

Scott

• Like 6

Nearing completion now.

Have fitted the air/vacuum pipe that runs down one side just under the foot board on the sole bar.

Fitted the MJT handles

Fitted The passenger door grab rails (0.33mm brass wire)

Added the air/vacuum pipes connector at either her end

IMG_6335.JPG

Couple more jobs to do

1. The couplings

2. The running numbers, which brings me to this .......

I have several coaches that need numbering as below

IMG_6333.JPG

With the "building program" I have, I'll be building at least another dozen or so coaches/carriages I'm going to need lots of numbering decals with lots of 'E's and loads of numbers on them. What's the best sheet to get? I'm modelling the transitional period upto about 1959

I have HMRS sheet 14 not sure what type of transfers/decals they are, they are on the sheet back to front! I'm used to seeing the decals the right way round, are they water slide? I've heard of methfix are they them? Help!!!!!!

Any help appreciated as always

Cheers

Scott

The HMRS sheet is probably pressfix (water based) unless it says its Methfix somewhere?

They are made up of 3 sheets of paper; the top waxy one which sticks to the transfers and is easy to peel away, the carrier sheet with the transfer on, and a thicker backing film with info printed on the back. The instructions don't make this very clear. I find it best to seperate the backing sheet from the carrier film which is tricky, but once they separate they come apart fairly easily leaving the transfers visible through the thin carrier film and the right way round, and they are easy to cut out! If you don't do this and just peel the waxy one away every time the transfers will lose their stickiness and attract dust, hairs etc very quickly.

This aside they are very good quality and can be moved around to the correct position before pressing down and then wetting. Once the wet carrier film slides away there is no backing unlike with waterslide transfers leaving a more satisfactory appearance in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Cheer's, Pete.

When you find out, let me know!  In the meantime, this might be of some help/interest: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118980-ger-ratio-coach-conversion-article/page-2

Sorry, I've not been in this thread for a few days. As if by magic just such a drawing appeared here today and I now know that it was published along with three others in the Railway Modeller - two in Feb 1953 and two in Feb 1956.

Scott, you've reminded me that the Campling drawing is in error - I did know this when I built mine and forgot to annotate my yellow book. The steps are on one end and the alarm gear the other. In the original edition there is a note to this effect on the drawing, but this has been lost in the more recent edition. Did you also see that there are small inclined plates along each side of the clerestory between the windows? I assume they're for some sort of ventilation.

For transfers I always use HMRS pressfix - Methfix at a push but it will remove acrylic paint.

Edited by jwealleans

Sorry, I've not been in this thread for a few days. As if by magic just such a drawing appeared here today and I now know that it was published along with three others in the Railway Modeller - two in Feb 1953 and two in Feb 1956.

Scott, you've reminded me that the Campling drawing is in error - I did know this when I built mine and forgot to annotate my yellow book. The steps are on one end and the alarm gear the other. In the original edition there is a note to this effect on the drawimng, but this has been lost in the more recent addition. Did you also see that there are small inclined plates along each side of the clerestory between the windows? I assume they're for some sort of ventilation.

For transfers I always use HMRS pressfix - Methfix at a push but it will remove acrylic paint.

They were for ventilation, but later plated over

They were for ventilation, but later plated over

As I'm modelling late 50's transition period those angled plates were plated over.

Apart from the numbering the model is as complete as it's going to get unless someone has spotted something glaringly obvious, I just need to number it.

Onwards and upwards now...,,

What to build next?

With the spare pennies I had, I didn't get the transfers, instead I opted to get historic carriages volume 3 Non Passenger coaching stock.

I post a list later of the vehicles I will build, maybe you chaps could vote on what you would like to see being built next?

Had anyone else started a build? Post a pic if you have.....

TTFN

Scott

post-2873-0-63279400-1518188797_thumb.jpg

• Like 1