R3662 Hornby Class 153 in GWR Livery - Information

Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

Good evening everyone,

I'd just like to clear up a little confusion regarding the Hornby 2018 range release and the GWR Class 153. 

The R3662 Class 153 no. 153368 was not announced with Hornby's 2018 range on Monday and when Kernow Model Rail Centre listed the item online, it was assumed to be a limited edition. 

This afternoon at the Hornby trade event in Birmingham, it was announced that this item is in fact a general 2018 range release item - it was originally planned for release in the 2019 range before it was brought forward to this year, however it was accidentally omitted from both the Hornby website and the original 2018 range announcement but is included in the catalogue on page 68. Therefore the item is in fact available from all of us retailers with a recommended retail price of £109.99.

Cheers.

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 2

Thank you clearing all the confusion up. Just need Hornby to do a FGW local lines one now... (and yes I will keep going on about one, my thinking is that if I go on about it enough, hopefully they’ll produce one, I can live in hope!!)

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thanks. I wonder if its taken the production slot from something originally planned but has now been deleted from the 2018 range. There are plenty of gaps in the R numbering.

That information I was not privy to, sorry. I'd imagine some more limited edition items, but then as per last year there were many unfilled gaps in the catalogue! Not sure on the reasoning behind this. :)

Thank you clearing all the confusion up. Just need Hornby to do a FGW local lines one now... (and yes I will keep going on about one, my thinking is that if I go on about it enough, hopefully they’ll produce one, I can live in hope!!)

Aye! I could do with one of those myself, we can keep dreaming on!  :sungum:

• Like 1

Good evening everyone,

This afternoon at the Hornby trade event in Birmingham, it was announced that this item is in fact a general 2018 range release item - it was originally planned for release in the 2019 range before it was brought forward to this year.

Cheers.

Does this mean it is only likely to hit the shelves in 2019?

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Indeed we've now been invoiced for this item, meaning it will be here Monday morning. We saw a sneaky sample on Wednesday, it's a nice looking model. Shame its 30 years too late for my primary modelling period...! :)

Mine too.....but I cannot resist.....I like to race (relative term the track limit is 25mph) the train alongside the river :)

Anyhoo when my layout is finished it’ll be running everything from Deltic to Dean Goods......probably not at the same time though!

Rule One

• Like 1

Ok, so where has 153368 actually run in real life?

Edit to add in this actual livery

As mentioned above, it is currently with EMT. But, whilst in full GWR livery the unit would predominately have been used on Exmouth-Paignton diagrams with a GWR or FGW 150/1, 150/2 or 143. The unit would of seen some use on the Looe Valley line, Barnstaple- Exeter st James and occasionally on the Weymouths. But mainly on the Exmouth-Paignton. Sadly, the livery was rather short lived, yet still looks rather charming in GWR green. 

My two arrived today from Derails.  A well applied livery in my opinion - one of the tanks adjacent to the motor bogie had fallen off of each, that's down to the Hornby packaging not being supportive enough I think.  Nothing a little glue won't fix in a couple of minutes though!

Now to start thinking about rewiring them for separate Head/Tail lights, internal lights, cab lights and sound - I should probably finish my 142's first though!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As much as I like the livery, I can’t help wonder why Hornby opted for it as prototyically it seems a short lived with most, if not all of GWR’s Class 153 have now moved onto other TOC’s, mainly Northern and East Midlands Trains.

On a plus note, I saw 153368 recently at Peterborough resplendent in fresh EMT paint.

• RMweb Premium

As much as I like the livery, I can’t help wonder why Hornby opted for it as prototyically it seems a short lived with most, if not all of GWR’s Class 153 have now moved onto other TOC’s, mainly Northern and East Midlands Trains.

At the time Hornby would have planned this for their 2018 catalog, probably about 2 years ago now, the 153's were just beginning their refresh into the then 'new' GWR Green livery.

Hornby would not have foreseen back then that they would be transferred off region so quickly.

153 368 went through the paint shop in March 2017.

There were 9 units to be painted in a C5P refurbishment programme. The first 5 were to be in neutral white as Angel Trains were anticipating them being transferred. The first unit 153 305 was indeed painted white, becoming known as 'Casper'. Thereafter the order came down to paint all the rest in GWR livery.

Edited by Scottish-Exile