Italian N Gauge RTR

Smallwonder

My interest in railway modelling was rekindled by a trip to Italy about ten years ago.

In the years since then I have built up a collection of German, Austrian and Swiss N gauge stock, but thought Italian stock did not really exist.

Then I stumbled upon:

http://www.locomodels.it/index.php/

Although expensive I have rarely been so tempted.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

• RMweb Premium

Not heard of them before, but they look quite reasonable. They're not overly expensive either considering they're handmade. I can't find much on the Italian forums about them though, but N gauge is a minority scale over there.

• 1 month later...

Sorry no experience of Locomodels myself but have you heard of Pirata

I thought they manufactured Italian models but actually looking at their website I think they might just commission other manufacturers.

However the rolling stock of theirs that I do have is rather good; I picked some up in Germany a few years back from Menzels-Lokschuppen in Dusseldorf. Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area by the way and don't mind leaving a couple of hundred Euros lighter.

I'm sure at one point Pirata were going to be producing some Italian locomotives but I could be mistaken.

Sorry no experience of Locomodels myself but have you heard of Pirata

I thought they manufactured Italian models but actually looking at their website I think they might just commission other manufacturers.

However the rolling stock of theirs that I do have is rather good; I picked some up in Germany a few years back from Menzels-Lokschuppen in Dusseldorf. Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area by the way and don't mind leaving a couple of hundred Euros lighter.

I'm sure at one point Pirata were going to be producing some Italian locomotives but I could be mistaken.

Yes they have. Small shunters. They have also produced small shunters for Swiss (Tm2/2 aka Tm234). All look to be out of stock now (all limited runs)

Pirata's web presence is confusing as they mix their own products with the 'shop' selling all other N stuff.