Is Backwoods Miniatures defunct?

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold

Pete has been forced to retire to look after Jen suffering from serious illness. He was in negotiations to sell the range which apparently has happened and we will have to wait to see who and if it reappears.

Yes I believe the 009 range has a likely buyer. There has been talk on the relevant Yahoo group about the 00n3 stuff continuing, but I think it's undecided yet.

I hope both continue, proper complete kits are not common in 4mm narrow gauge.

Edited by johnarcher

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

A post today on the Yahoo 00n3 forum states that Backwoods Miniatures has been sold to Neville Kent of N-Drive productions.

It'll probably take some time for them to come back into production but at least the range is secure.

Regards,

David.

• RMweb Premium

This is a quote from Neville posted on NGRM:

"I have arranged to take over the Backwoods Miniatures range of 4mm Irish stock and the 3 009 contractor loco kits, don't quite know when I'll start to re-release them but they are on their way back so if you could spread the word I'd be grateful."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a quote from Neville posted on NGRM:

"I have arranged to take over the Backwoods Miniatures range of 4mm Irish stock and the 3 009 contractor loco kits, don't quite know when I'll start to re-release them but they are on their way back so if you could spread the word I'd be grateful."

Well, N-Drive Productions' site is no longer accessible, so I don't know what the status of the deal is now.

Well, N-Drive Productions' site is no longer accessible, so I don't know what the status of the deal is now.

Their site works for me. (just checked, using Chrome browser). There's a thread on N-Drive Productions here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135024-n-drive-productions. 

[EDIT

This was posted recently on NGRM by Colin Rainsbury

Posted July 17
In a reply from Neville last week I got the response that he hopes to get the first of the Irish kits back into production either later this year or early part of next, he is also thinking in terms of selling the various parts separately as well IE castings, etchings, if this is so, then this has to be a welcomed development.

He has also said that he would like to develop more kits for the Irish and 00n3 market, 'Scadwell' or ''Handyman' anyone?
Edited by JohnGi

Their site works for me. (just checked, using Chrome browser). There's a thread on N-Drive Productions here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135024-n-drive-productions.

[EDIT

This was posted recently on NGRM by Colin Rainsbury

It's not working for me for some reason, and I have chrome, so idk, also any chance of them picking up the Backwoods 009 kits, like the Garratt & Double Fairlie?

It's not working for me for some reason, and I have chrome, so idk, also any chance of them picking up the Backwoods 009 kits, like the Garratt & Double Fairlie?

Sorry I model Irish 00n3 so I haven't followed what happened to the 009 kits. Maybe someone else does, or you could ask on NGRM.

John

Sorry I model Irish 00n3 so I haven't followed what happened to the 009 kits. Maybe someone else does, or you could ask on NGRM, so not really something I'm easily able to do myself.

John

As I have stated to multiple people before, I'm not a member of the NGRMS. Edited by 9402 Fredrick

• RMweb Premium

I can't see Nevile taking on any more of the kits (for now), he has enough on his plate already. Others could make an offer to Pete for the kits, but I can't think of any likely candidates. All we know is that Backwoods Miniatures is closed for business until further notice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only the Irish range and a couple of the contractors locos have been sold to Neville according to the thread on NGRM. The rest remains with Pete and is effectively on hold until further notice due to caring for Jen.

It's a big investment to take on that large range and with the demise of mashima and some of the wheels needed an even bigger task as it may require some reworking and new sources of parts. I'm not sure what format his artwork is but that may require computerising now too as most etchers no longer take photo artwork.

NGRM is run by the Chivers family of Chivers Finelines and is free and easy to register to, it includes many producers for NG ranges and members of the 009 society so tends to have the latest news ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if the 4mm Garrat kit is still available?

No as the posts above the rest of the 009 range is frozen because of Pete becoming a full time carer. Sorry but no amount of asking will make a difference to that unfortunate situation. I don't know Pete apart from pleasant conversations at shows with them both so I don't know any hard info apart from what's posted on here by people who do and on NGRM.

Please respect selling on the range must include all the hard work done, future potential and his needs of an income in very difficult times.

If this changes the new owner would be announced much like Neville has with the Irish range.

His focus is very much on his wife not the models.

There is no alternative kit for the vast majority of the range and those that were available were mostly supplanted by the Backwoods kits if you wanted the ultimate detail. That was the advantage of the superb range. I built a couple of their kits and while they were a real challenge being so much fine detail they were lovely models. :)

• Like 1

I can only think of Keith Wiseman ( locopainter) in the US to take on the 0n30 /0n3 products of Backwoods .He is certainly a decent seller and amazingly doesnt overcharge on postage for the US unlike many dealers .He has brought out and reissued many long lost kits,castings ,etc  and does a good job .Only a suggestion to be kicked around .Backwoods would certainly slot in well if Pete ,who I have never met ,wanted to sell .perhaps he doesnt .

PS I am looking for  a Backwoods 2-8-2 0n30 saddle tank  conversion kit if anyone has one .After finally getting the donor loco of course the kit isnt available but hey ho .

Edited by alfsboy