Motor Rail & Tramcar Co. Standard Gauge Locomotives

The loco was numbered 2 and named BILLY, a petrol Simplex Works No.1905 and supplied new to the Great Eastern Railway for use at the depot in 1920.  It was scrapped when the depot closed in 1964.  There was a standard gauge Simplex supplied at about the same time numbered 1.

This info is from the IRS East Anglia Handbook and it gives references to two articles in the Narrow Gauge Railway Society's magazine.  I'll look them up and let you know if they include any photos of the loco.

Outstanding! Many thanks.

Re Lowestoft Sleeper Depot - I'll keep this brief as we are probably wandering off topic (narrow gauge !)

The NGRS Magazine THE NARROW GAUGE No.103 (Summer 1984) included a 3 page article on the narrow gauge system by Chris Fisher with a plan of the depot and a photo of MR 1905.  I can't post it here for copyright reasons but I've scanned the photo and I'll send it direct to you Mike as a PM.

Magazine No.123 (Summer 1989) had details of the Ruston's history after it left the depot and a photo of it in a scrapyard.

Back on topic - the standard gauge loco Motorail Works No.1931 of 1919 was apparently numbered 1, presumably then becoming LNER No.1 so there might be details of it in the publication "Locomotives of the LNER".  It was replaced at the depot by a Sentinel steam loco but survived to become BR 15098,

Re Lowestoft Sleeper Depot - I'll keep this brief as we are probably wandering off topic (narrow gauge !)

The NGRS Magazine THE NARROW GAUGE No.103 (Summer 1984) included a 3 page article on the narrow gauge system by Chris Fisher with a plan of the depot and a photo of MR 1905.  I can't post it here for copyright reasons but I've scanned the photo and I'll send it direct to you Mike as a PM.

Magazine No.123 (Summer 1989) had details of the Ruston's history after it left the depot and a photo of it in a scrapyard.

Back on topic - the standard gauge loco Motorail Works No.1931 of 1919 was apparently numbered 1, presumably then becoming LNER No.1 so there might be details of it in the publication "Locomotives of the LNER".  It was replaced at the depot by a Sentinel steam loco but survived to become BR 15098,

Many thanks for that, and for taking the time and trouble - I really look forward to seeing it!

Mike

DERBYSHIRE STONE No.3  Works No.3980 of 1936 at Rise Hill Quarry, Middleton in May 1967 with the similar Hibberd loco DERBYSHIRE STONE No 2  Works No.1891 of 1934.  The quarry was connected to the BR Cromford & High Peak Line at Steeplehouse and rail traffic had ceased two months before with closure of the BR line.  Part of the route of the quarry branch is now occupied by the 18" gauge Steeple Grange Light Railway.

MR 3980 was transferred to Cawdor Quarry, Matlock where it was photographed in 1968, showing the opposite side from the previous photo although unfortunately the roof rather blends in with the structure behind.

FH 1891 was later at Wirksworth Quarry, photographed in 1970 and looking quite respectable painted green with black frames, buffer beams and running gear.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 7

attachicon.gif3980.8322 Rise Hill © PGH.jpg

attachicon.gif3980.8321 Rise Hill © PGH.jpg

DERBYSHIRE STONE No.3  Works No.3980 of 1936 at Rise Hill Quarry, Middleton in May 1967 with the similar Hibberd loco DERBYSHIRE STONE No 2  Works No.1891 of 1934.  The quarry was connected to the BR Cromford & High Peak Line at Steeplehouse and rail traffic had ceased two months before with closure of the BR line.  Part of the route of the quarry branch is now occupied by the 18" gauge Steeple Grange Light Railway.

attachicon.gifFH.8323 Rise Hill © PGH.jpg

The Hibberd has more of a "home made" appearance than the Motorail and the bodywork is  taller.

attachicon.gif3980.10017 Cawdor © PGH.jpg

MR 3980 was transferred to Cawdor Quarry, Matlock where it was photographed in 1968, showing the opposite side from the previous photo although unfortunately the roof rather blends in with the structure behind.

attachicon.gifFH.12637 Wirksworth © PGH.jpg

attachicon.gifFH.12704 Wirksworth © PGH.jpg

FH 1891 was later at Wirksworth Quarry, photographed in 1970 and looking quite respectable painted green with black frames, buffer beams and running gear.

attachicon.gifFH.34731 Wirksworth © PGH.jpg

but by 1982 it was out of use and disappearing in the undergrowth with Baguley 3227/51

Great shots, thanks for posting.

I was wrong in thinking the Wirksworth machine was a Motor Rail. That clears that up!

The last shot is poignant for me as I remember very clearly seeing both those machines in service!

C.

• Like 1

In retrospect I think I have gone a bit over the top with the photos and posted too many similar views of the same loco, so I've deleted some of the surplus photos.  Interest seems to be tailing off anyway.  These are the final two:

Works No.4623 of 1932 at N.C.B. Llay Main Workshops, near Wrexham in 1966

Painted light green; black roof; green wheels with red tyres; red buffer beams

Works No.5765 of 1959 at Staveley Lime Products, Beswicks Limeworks, Hindlow  in 1977

Painted red (I think - barely visible under the lime dust)

Edited by PGH
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Please keep the photos coming PGH - they are very much appreciated. No such thing as waning interest where Simplex locos are concerned!

I do like the one at Staveley Lime Products - not seen many photos of that type as I don’t think they built that many? (Well not compared to the others anyway)

In retrospect I think I have gone a bit over the top with the photos and posted too many similar views of the same loco, so I've deleted some of the surplus photos.  Interest seems to be tailing off anyway.  These are the final two:

attachicon.gif4623.5918 NCB Llay © PGH.jpg

Works No.4623 of 1932 at N.C.B. Llay Main Workshps, near Wrexham in 1966

Painted light green; black roof; green wheels with red tyres; red buffer beams

attachicon.gif5765.26428 Beswicks © PGH.jpg

Works No.5765 of 1959 at Staveley Lime Products, Beswicks Limeworks, Hindlow  in 1977

Painted red (I think - barely visible under the lime dust)

Interesting... That last one is the later type of 85/65HP loco, which I once saw at Peak Rail's Buxton base. Does anyone know where that loco is now?

Interesting... That last one is the later type of 85/65HP loco, which I once saw at Peak Rail's Buxton base. Does anyone know where that loco is now?

I didn't realise until I started looking into the history of this loco that I had photographed it in 1965 at Holderness Limeworks, Peak Forest, in much better external condition than the previous photo - I should have posted these instead.

Works No.5765 of 1959 at S.Taylor Frith & Co.Ltd., Holderness Limeworks in 1965

It was indeed painted red, with black frames and cab doors, yellow/black buffer beams

Supplied new to Holderness, it was transferred to Hindlow c1972, then to Peak Rail in 1988.

It left Peak Rail in 1991 for an unknown destination and is not listed in any later Industrial Railway Society Handbook EL - which lists all known industrial, preserved and minor railway locomotives in the British Isles (the latest edition I have is 2009).

So in theory that leaves only three possibilities - it was scrapped, its stored at some unknown private location or it was exported.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 10

FH 1891, as seen in PGH's post before last. In August 1997 I happened to be passing through Bridgnorth, where I found the loco in the centre of a roundabout and acting as a very large flower pot. It wasn't there a couple of years ago, when I last went through Bridgnorth; I wonder where it is now?

post-494-0-68903400-1528374811.jpg

I guess that the R.O.D. lettering is spurious as F.C. Hibberd, as a company, didn't even exist at the time of the R.O.D.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7

FH 1891, as seen in PGH's post before last. In August 1997 I happened to be passing through Bridgnorth, where I found the loco in the centre of a roundabout and acting as a very large flower pot. It wasn't there a couple of years ago, when I last went through Bridgnorth; I wonder where it is now?

It's apparently at Chasewater. I have a feeling I saw it there on my last visit, parked in the bay platform.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Now you come to mention it, I must have seen it there only a couple of weeks ago. D'oh!

I think we ought to widen the scope of this topic to include the look-a-likes and locos that were clearly descended from early MRTC i.c. locos from Kent Construction and F.C. Hibberd. Over the years there have been several interesting articles and letters in the Industrial Railway Society's "Record" on this subject, entitled The Origin Of Species.

• Like 2

It's apparently at Chasewater. I have a feeling I saw it there on my last visit, parked in the bay platform.

Andy

I'll have to try and get there and renew my acquaintance with the beast!!

C.

Reading this very interesting thread has reminded me that I have a couple of photos in my collection that are of these style of locos.  They were both taken by an old friend of mine Vic Nutton from Huddersfield and, along with several others from the Wrexham area, were given to me many years ago.  I lost touch with Vic for quite a few years and then met him again at a mutual friend's funeral a couple of year ago.  He said he was quite happy for them to be circulated as required so here they are.

The first one is taken at a location that I am not familiar with.  The wagons on the skyline look like they could be NCB?  This shot came with several others that were taken at Brymbo Steelworks so I'm wondering if the location could be in that area?  This loco certainly follows the 'Shed on Wheels' school of design!

post-807-0-55059500-1528457708_thumb.jpg

The second shot is one I am familiar with and I remember seeing this loco on site when passing on the adjacent road.  The location is J C Edwards Pen-y-Bont brickworks at Newbridge Acrefair.  I have a feeling that I might have seen it at work pushing or pulling wagons on the line to the BR exchange nearby.  I know I definitely saw a train there when I was a lad.

post-807-0-65559800-1528457740_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any more details of these locos and know if either of them is still in existence?

• Like 11

I'm able to answer my own question!  Should have checked before I posted.  Looking in the IRS North Wales handbook the J C Edwards loco was MR 1922 built and delivered new in 1922.  It was scrapped early in 1960.  There was also a Sentinel there at the same time and I'm sure that Geoff Kent has shown me a photo of it.

Trying to determine the location of the first photo by trawling through the handbook - but it may take some time!

Edit - I wonder if it is the Llay Main one as posted by PGH?  There are several things that are the same.  If it is (which seems likely) then it was ex-Llay Hall Colliery and stood in the workshops yard until scrapped June 1970.

Edited by 5050

I'm able to answer my own question!  Should have checked before I posted.  Looking in the IRS North Wales handbook the J C Edwards loco was MR 1922 built and delivered new in 1922.  It was scrapped early in 1960.  There was also a Sentinel there at the same time and I'm sure that Geoff Kent has shown me a photo of it.

Trying to determine the location of the first photo by trawling through the handbook - but it may take some time!

Edit - I wonder if it is the Llay Main one as posted by PGH?  There are several things that are the same.  If it is (which seems likely) then it was ex-Llay Hall Colliery and stood in the workshops yard until scrapped June 1970.

Yes, the first photo is Works No.4623 at N.C.B. Llay Main Workshops, near Wrexham.  The view is roughly south east with the main part of the workshops off the photo to the right.  The wagons in the left distance are on the sidings at the tail end of Llay Main Colliery yard.  The loco was originally supplied new to Point of Ayr Colliery and it was scrapped in 1970.

The Pen-y-Bont loco was probably scrapped in early 1961.  I have a photo of it (not mine) taken in December 1960 and it had disappeared by May the following year.  I didn't visit the site until 1963 by which time all machinery, track, etc had been removed leaving just the empty buildings and the massive claypit.  It was situated in a loop of the River Dee, surrounded by the river on three sides and has since been used as a landfill site.  At the entrance to the site is a small brick building with a conical tapered roof which is the only remaining building of the old brickworks.  At that point the works siding crossed the road and ran alongside it to join the GWR Shrewsbury to Chester Line.

I think Geoff Kent has used that ornamental office building on his Black Lion Crossing layout.  He has used a lot of Wrexham area buildings, many of which I am very familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...