Motor Rail & Tramcar Co. Standard Gauge Locomotives

The long unavailable 7mm scale Impetus kit had those buffers in it so it might be worth seeing if Kalgarin (current owners of the range) has an odd set left.  Unfortunately when I built mine as the GWR version I should have replaced the MotorRail type buffers but didn't bother at the time - now I wish I had. Best of luck with your project.

Ray.

IMG_0178a.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Nice model! Pity the Impetus kits are no longer available.

I have been trying to track down some details and photographs of BR Simplex 15097 that worked at Greenland Creosote Works, West Hartlepool. I know the preserved one is not the original, but did it look the same?

A bit off topic, but any photo's or details of the GWR 2ft gauge Simplex's would also be greatly appreciated. 

I am trying, hopefully, to make some models of these great little loco's.

Great topic, keep it coming!

On 06/05/2019 at 21:08, Wagpnmaster said:

A bit off topic, but any photo's or details of the GWR 2ft gauge Simplex's would also be greatly appreciated. 

I am trying, hopefully, to make some models of these great little loco's.

At one time, one, maybe two, were stored locally at Cathays C&W works.

I did have their works numbers at one time, from which I would imagine, a Simplex expert could tell you what models they were.

Retained for p.way projects, I would suspect they were basic, stock .odels.

Brian R

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply Brian. If you do happen to have the works numbers of the Simplex at Cathays I would be grateful. 

I am trying to track down what were numbered PWM1024, PWM1622, and PWM1650. I have the details of PWM1779 and PWM1780. Also GWR No.14. Photographs would be a bonus!

Steve J

The thing that came first was effectively the gearbox, which is very clever, which was applied to tramcars, then locos. At the time that it was designed, a compact, fully enclosed gear-array, giving all speeds in both directions was something fairly new.

On 04/03/2019 at 21:53, flyingsignalman said:

Bit late to the topic (as usual....) here is a photo of Motor Rail loco 1944 of 1919 at Mold Synthite Siding near Mold, dated 28/8/1981. I believe it was later purchased by Ian Jolley after rail traffic ceased.

0713e.jpg

Nice picture. Is this the ex-LYR No.3?  I believe one of them went to a Synthite Factory.