Caledonian Railway Building Drawings

Marly51

I have just found some dye-line prints of drawings I produced for a member of the 2mm Association back in the 1980s, I think? Unfortunately my copies do not have the legend with the location, date, etc. This may have been for the member’s own personal layout or a group layout - 2mm Association Central Scotland. I have checked out the Caledonian Railway Society’s website and found four stations with similar features including a V-shaped bay window, which reflected road toll-house designs. John Miller of Grainger & Miller is credited with the design. http://www.crassoc.org.uk/web/sites/default/files/documents/caledonian%20stations%20overview.pdf

I produced the original drawings with my trusty set of Rotring Rapidograph pens on Permatrace - the details of the buildings were supplied in the form of on-site notes and measurements along with photographs.

Does anyone know which station this might be?

post-33019-0-60630000-1515706338_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1

........Does anyone know which station this might be?

At first look it would appear to be one of those on the Strathmore line, many of which were to a similar plan and had that V window.   I'll look back through the copies of 'The True Line' (the CRA's journal) and see if anything fits.  It might be a day or two before I get time to do that.

The drawing may have been for a layout we started constructing in the 1970's based on a station on an imaginary line running North West from Dundee, but which never got beyond the bare boards and track stage.

Jim

Thanks Jim - since you mentioned the Strathmore Line, I have now ‘googled’ it and found the station was Woodside & Burrelton (closed in 1956) and the other drawings I have are of the signal box and goods shed. Quite a nice little group of buildings for a mini layout? There is another little drawing of a two storey building? Storehouse or part of a mill possibly?

post-33019-0-41356200-1515713974_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Marly51

Hi again Jim - just good to have the information to go with the drawings. I produced the drawings for Alistair, so they really belong to him or the group for that particular project. Alistair was very helpful years ago and supplied me with a file of cuttings from various modelling periodicals to encourage me in my interest in the railways of Strathspey area.

Marlyn

Good photo of another Caledonian Station with V bay window at Langloan in the current issue of ‘The True Line’. Looked for the photo link online, but only one which someone is selling on eBay? Very informative article about Caledonian advertising boards. At some time I would like to produce a micro model/diorama of a Caley station, but probably in 4mm rather than 2mm, because of the detail in the decorative brackets used on the signal cabins.

Edited by Marly51

I have a few spare brackets left from my signal box and could put some on the next etch I do, so long as you are not in a hurry for them!

Jim

Definitely no hurry, Jim. I have two small Highland Railway Layouts to complete first! Will be in touch later. Many thanks.

Marlyn