Hornby TTS sound vent van

Liam

The solder tabs are incorrectly bent upwards and appear inside the van. Spring the wheels out at that end and bend them down again for now.

post-7193-0-98851800-1544378167_thumb.jpg

Or scuff off the paint anywhere along the busbars.

post-7193-0-54712000-1544378685_thumb.jpg

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Shame that this new item, which is supposed to be left on the layout permanently (and so will be in view all the time), has the old, crude couplings and brake lever. Not so state of the art...  :(

Mine will be left parked at the end of a siding. It wont be getting pulled anywhere as the sound cuts out when it moves so ill be removing the couplings off mine.

With the tabs underneath to solder to the dcc bus i can see this being very useful to modellers of any scale, especislly N and O gaugers

Shame that this new item, which is supposed to be left on the layout permanently (and so will be in view all the time), has the old, crude couplings and brake lever. Not so state of the art...  :(

There is always the option of removing the couplings.

Similar to a loco making poor contact? Cue magazine articles with 'stay alive' capacitors and adding weight? I want mine to make the flange squeal and wagon clanging noises whilst on the move.

Yes that is the main reason for the sound cutting out. It does work whilst on the move, although I have only had mine playing random sounds at present.

• RMweb Gold

R8099 coupling will give you a smaller profile coupling, it’s push fit, like the one on the van

• RMweb Gold

I'm curious how other people operate their wagon fleets, in particular do you reuse the same few brake vans for most freight trains?

If this is the case brake vans would make the ideal subject for future releases, at least for the 'moving' sounds. They also have the advantage of being noticeably distant from sound fitted locos, even on short shunting planks.

I try to be prototypical, which means I have umpteen vans scattered around, usually in the exact places i dont need them.

It will never happen, but if someone made a simple noise wagon.. linked to tension of a coupling spring, and motion, that simply makes three sounds.... couplings snatching or buffers connecting ( based off coupling tension) and wheels on rail joints (motion) i’d be happy with it, working on DC, charged or powered by the track.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are 3 types of sound...

A straight play through once then stop sound, which can be as simple as a short guards whistle or a much longer train arriving or departing or boiler rivetting sequence.

A looped regular sound which repeats until turned off, e.g. a grinder.

A looped sound with random elements which repeats until turned off, e.g. the wheel tapper who sometimes finds a duff wheel.

There is also a warning bell which sounds if you select a third looped sound - this indicates you are at max channels.

Rob

• 5 months later...

Managed to have a quick play with my TTS van this morning before work. Sounds are great fun, bit I've got bigger plans for the van. 

Sadly I the van does not seem to want to play while on the move, and the slightest touch stops the sound. 

I checked the wheels and pick-ups (think the wheels might need some of the weathering removed), but I ended up snapping one of the pick-ups off. Still seems to work while static though. 

Any idea or info if someone has got one working on the move? Might have to shelve my plans for the van and go for plan B.

5 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Sadly I the van does not seem to want to play while on the move, and the slightest touch stops the sound. 

From what I have heard about this, it sounds like this product is well suited to removing the sound kit from inside, hard wiring it to the DCC bus, fitting a bigger speaker & placing the lot inside a building or hill.

• Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

From what I have heard about this, it sounds like this product is well suited to removing the sound kit from inside, hard wiring it to the DCC bus, fitting a bigger speaker & placing the lot inside a building or hill.

Ah shame, was going to fit a different sound decoder into it and have it as a sound wagon for some of my smaller locos

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Managed to have a quick play with my TTS van this morning before work. Sounds are great fun, bit I've got bigger plans for the van. 

I checked the wheels and pick-ups (think the wheels might need some of the weathering removed), but I ended up snapping one of the pick-ups off. Still seems to work while static though. 

Any idea or info if someone has got one working on the move? Might have to shelve my plans for the van and go for plan B.

This model works very well on the move for me.  Better than some of my locos for sound retention.

I suspect that the wipers/pick-ups are really tight on the wheels of mine as it is not a free runner at all.  Maybe be some (careful) adjustment of the remaining pick-ups would do the trick?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I mentioned along these lines some time ago - tts towns.  Can it be beyond the realms of possibility to produce a model of a ?station that includes a speaker and the chip with relevant sounds

Edited by Ouroborus
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 87004 said:

This model works very well on the move for me.  Better than some of my locos for sound retention.

I suspect that the wipers/pick-ups are really tight on the wheels of mine as it is not a free runner at all.  Maybe be some (careful) adjustment of the remaining pick-ups would do the trick?

Thannks for the info, will the last 3 some tweaking, they are very delicate 

14 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

I mentioned along these lines some time ago - tts towns.  Can it be beyond the realms of possibility to produce a model of a ?station that includes a speaker and the chip with relevant sounds

Sounds perfect.

Along with "I don't like sound - it is just a gimmick', one of my friends asks what is the point of sound locos without ambient sounds?

A station would be a perfect environment to add sounds to. Most even have suitable buildings to place the speakers in.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

A station would be a perfect environment to add sounds to. Most even have suitable buildings to place the speakers in.

And you could probably fit larger better quality speakers in a building that you can in a typical locomotive.  How many EM2s can you fit in the roof space of a typical station building?

• Agree 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a list of the sounds for the original TTS Van? I've lost my sheet, and the one on the Hornby website seems to be of a later version, as the sounds dont match up at all.

• RMweb Gold

Found this on Peter's Spares, as the TTS Mk1 sound model is listed as a spare part. I'm assuming they're in the order of F1, F2 etc. If not I'm sure you can match them up!

Air Spanner

Cockerel

Crowd

Dawn Chorus

Dog

Guards Whistle

Rake Boiler

Riveter

Slam Doors

Slow Workshop

Stable

Steam Train