Green Leaf Brewery London

Aldgate Box Boy

Hi everyone, well I've been lurking long enough. Having started building my layout I'm at a point where I thought I'd share what I have. Essentially Green Leaf is a busy London brewery based in the early 1960s in West London. I like beer, railways and Ealing Studios films so this is an attempt to marry all of those topics. In the late 1930s Ealing made a film about a small brewery Green Leaf being pushed out of business by a large one, Ironside. I've only seen clips of the film, Cheer Boys Cheer.

Anyway, Below is the diagram and if people are interested I'll post progress.

Tim

post-33330-0-46809100-1515778558.jpg

• Like 9

Looks like an interesting project! I for one will be following. Are you planning this as an exhibition layout? Must make sure I see the film - railways, beer and movies sound like a decent combination to me  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Skytrex do a good line in barrels and buildings, wagon turntable

Ian Peaty's 'Brewery railways' worth reading over a pint....

Dava

Hi everyone, thanks for the messages. Some more photos below. The layout is 316 cm by 80 cm taking up one side of a room. I have nicked lots of ideas but the space saving idea of two three-way points is from Dutch River Dock layout which I think is great.  The points are Marcway - 2 x three-way, 1 x Y point and 5 mixture of left and right hand points.  The track is Peco flexi.  There is cork underlay under the points as there is a height difference. I can recommend Marcway points especially to get around frog switching all done internally with the switch.

Point motors are DCC Concepts operated by their Switch Levers.

The layout is DCC with sound.  Two locos at the moment a Hudswell Clarke and a Minerva Peckett, both sound fitted. Currently building up the wagons, I got two Dapol RTR to begin with but subsequently built a number of plastic kits and a Connoisseur Loirit.  I currently on my second brass kit from Big Jim, a box van, which I'm really enjoying tackling.

So a selection of images taken over the last 4 months from bare baseboard to where I am currently.

post-33330-0-69355300-1515846665.jpgpost-33330-0-81980400-1515846709.jpgpost-33330-0-41631800-1515846726.jpgpost-33330-0-34696300-1515846739.jpgpost-33330-0-77822500-1515846749.jpg

post-33330-0-80722600-1515846763.jpg

• Like 11

Looks like an interesting project! I for one will be following. Are you planning this as an exhibition layout? Must make sure I see the film - railways, beer and movies sound like a decent combination to me  ;)

Thanks JDB. The layout is pretty fixed and I'm not sure I'm good enough for an exhibition.

thanks

Tim

Skytrex do a good line in barrels and buildings, wagon turntable

Ian Peaty's 'Brewery railways' worth reading over a pint....

Dava

Thanks Dava yes I have Peaty's book which is great and really useful. It would be really useful if there were other industry specific ones like this.

I've got a few barrels from Skytrex and one building but I want to try and scratch build if I can. I will have to think about the wagon tt.

cheers Tim

Yes they are great, and considering its location/ timescale I think it needs a pannier.  I know they were used on trip workings to the old Guinness Brewery at Park Royal.  Any idea where I could get one..... :scratchhead:

Hmmmm. Well, let me have a think about that.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Everyone, well over the last couple of days I've pretty much completed the lever box to house my DCC Concepts switches.  The box was build by my friend John with a little help from me. All the electronics sit inside the box with one wire out to the 'sniffer'.  The box slides off in a second.

post-33330-0-34679600-1516275780.jpg

post-33330-0-72129400-1516275789.jpg

post-33330-0-53201900-1516275803.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, well i broke my wrist a week or so ago so no real modelling for me for 8 weeks.

i'm posting an image here of the shelf for the controller which sits next to the signal frame - it needs attaching.

NB the ergonomically designed space for the operator's tea mug! 

Cheers Tim

post-33330-0-80791100-1517393358_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-61531800-1517393379_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi, I've seen posts on a number of strands about points. i'm attaching three images of my Marcway 3 way, RH and LH with a measure to give people scale.

They are marginally more expensive than Peco but they seem to have a lot of advantages.

cheers  Tim

I bought a Marcway point in my early days of 0 gauge to assess the product. It is soundly made and still used in hidden areas despite its great age, but the absence of chairs is too noticeable for my liking. As a previous correspondent has written, building one's own track in 0 is not difficult and, I find, actually quite therapeutic. 

• Like 1

I bought a Marcway point in my early days of 0 gauge to assess the product. It is soundly made and still used in hidden areas despite its great age, but the absence of chairs is too noticeable for my liking. As a previous correspondent has written, building one's own track in 0 is not difficult and, I find, actually quite therapeutic. 

Hi Chris i would like to do that and got talking to a guy on the 7 scale stand at Reading last year. I guess if you are just starting out one want to get things running. i agree about the chairs and i can see that would be the major draw back, however that said I'm intending to embed my track in sets so it's not an issue.

Cheers Tim

Hi Chris i would like to do that and got talking to a guy on the 7 scale stand at Reading last year. I guess if you are just starting out one want to get things running. i agree about the chairs and i can see that would be the major draw back, however that said I'm intending to embed my track in sets so it's not an issue.

Cheers Tim

In that case Tim, your choice makes complete sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, modelling has taken a hit because of my broken wrist. At the moment I'm limited to short bursts of paining barrels, however at the weekend I decided to have a go at making hop sacks. did a bit of research on size and colour etc.  Here is the result. my 11 year old daughter described them as looking like poos! Anyway I'll need a lot of them. They will need a bit of work and practice - as do the staff!

Best Tim  

post-33330-0-00349400-1519120581_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-04597700-1519120595_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-56944200-1519120610_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-41423100-1519120627_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Everyone, I've been experimenting with material for the setts for the brewery track and yard. Daz and plastic card maybe other options but I saw on one of the other strands about using pizza bases - the polystyrene base not the base of the pizza obviously :no: .  Here is the result. Strip cut to size, then used the end of a pencil with the rubber removed and the metal jacket reformed, painted grey, then washed with watery black and rubbed off. At the moment it's stuck down with double sided tape which seems very firm.  Any ideas on glue - there are some obvious no nos. My biggest problem will be eating enough pizza to cover the yard!

best Tim

post-33330-0-36721900-1519239740_thumb.jpg

post-33330-0-86804200-1519239753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the concept lots. Could I make a suggestion re the cobbled track that you fill in the gaps between sleepers and then fix the pizza bases in position. The voids between the sleepers are very noticeable when this isn't done.

Edited by Neil

I like the concept lots. Could I make a suggestion re the cobbled track that you fill in the gaps between sleepers and then fix the pizza bases in position. The voids between the sleepers are very noticeable when this isn't done.

Thanks Neil, that is a great suggestion, as soon as I looked at the picture again it's obvious.

Thanks

Tim