Green Leaf Brewery London

Aldgate Box Boy

Store House Building

Hi everyone, over the weekend I designed and began my next building the brewery's store house. I'm playing around a little with the design as I think I'm going to put windows in the return that comes out of the main body of the building from floor 2 up. I'm worried that it might be too effective as a scene blocker. Here are some photos of the building frame in place and all the brick card cut.  I've gone back to plasticard for this just to experiment.  I like the LCut card but it does have downsides.

more soon

Cheers Tim

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Can I please ask, what is holding the brick built lucam up? as there appears to be no visible means of support.  The timber one would have an internal timber frame for support.

There are some well known construction items frequently used by builders .... Skyhooks ! :crazy_mini:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Hi thanks for the comments - I looked into skyhooks but my model shop only had 4mm ones and I'm not going to Telford this year!:lol:

The building is Iron/ steel framed but in addition as you can see in these pictures it has I beams supporting the extension which will be supported by columns 

Cheers Tim

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

• Like 4

On 12/03/2019 at 09:13, Aldgate Box Boy said:

Hi all I've been working on this resin wagon kit I picked bought at Reading. The kit came with no instructions and I've managed to do most of it but have these pieces over.  Could anyone give me a clue where they go? I guess they are door bangers?

Cheers Tim

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

That’s one of mine, the customer I’d originally designed for wanted the bottom 2 planks as replaced by steel channel, so done the master with the option of filling the recess in with plastic to go back to representing the planks

Michael 

P1000775

• Like 4

Thanks Mike, that is a really useful picture.  I really liked building your kit but some/ any instructions would have been useful.  I could guess most of it and took some calculated risks. I've ended up with a nice wagon - not as nice as your one.

Cheers Tim

Tim,

That building is really is looking cracking, as with the other ones you have completed to date. I've said it a few times but I absolutely love the scale of those wonderful industrial buildings. It is something you rarely see in 7mm scale, and it makes such a refreshing change. 

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but, how do you go about applying the mortar courses to the brickwork? This is one of the aspects I really admire in the buildings you had finished to date. 

Cheers,

David 

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Tim,

That building is really is looking cracking, as with the other ones you have completed to date. I've said it a few times but I absolutely love the scale of those wonderful industrial buildings. It is something you rarely see in 7mm scale, and it makes such a refreshing change. 

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but, how do you go about applying the mortar courses to the brickwork? This is one of the aspects I really admire in the buildings you had finished to date. 

Cheers,

David 

Hi David, thanks again for your comments.  Yes I like the size too - it worries me what I do with them when time comes to pull them down!

I've attached some pictures here of the basic process I use. The building a sprayed with Halfords matt red undercoat rattle cans. After 24 hours I apply matt emulsion from a B&Q tester pot, any white will do then rub off.  It can be quite an uneven process but for me that doesn't matter.  I look at some of the building people make and they are too prefect with the brick work to uniform. I could leave it there, but after cleaning up I then go back and apply different colours to individual bricks.  This gets me in to a Zen like place and the hours fly by listening to BBC sounds and 606. The look I am going for is impressionistic rather than realism as the building are viewed at a couple of feet distance.

I've seen some people spay the mortar colour first then colour the brick but I don't see how that works as surely the brick colour would go into the mortar lines.

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aldgate Box Boy said:

Hi David, thanks again for your comments.  Yes I like the size too - it worries me what I do with them when time comes to pull them down!

I've attached some pictures here of the basic process I use. The building a sprayed with Halfords matt red undercoat rattle cans. After 24 hours I apply matt emulsion from a B&Q tester pot, any white will do then rub off.  It can be quite an uneven process but for me that doesn't matter.  I look at some of the building people make and they are too prefect with the brick work to uniform. I could leave it there, but after cleaning up I then go back and apply different colours to individual bricks.  This gets me in to a Zen like place and the hours fly by listening to BBC sounds and 606. The look I am going for is impressionistic rather than realism as the building are viewed at a couple of feet distance.

I've seen some people spay the mortar colour first then colour the brick but I don't see how that works as surely the brick colour would go into the mortar lines.

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

Hi Tim, 

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and explain that process in such a comprehensive and in-depth manner. It's really useful to understand what you do, it looks so effective, some of the best brickwork I have seen. 

Sorry to ask a supplementary question, but when you apply the white, do you rub that off straight after painting or do you allow it to go tacky first before doing so?

Thanks again for all for help, it is really appreciated! 

David

I use a very similar technique, except I use ready-made filler (I think it’s Wickes’ in a blue tube) watered down very slightly and wiped on with a damp sponge, and wiped off again after a short while.   You can see th3 effect on my loco shed in my Porth Dinllaen thread, link below.

Hth

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/04/2019 at 02:20, south_tyne said:

Hi Tim, 

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and explain that process in such a comprehensive and in-depth manner. It's really useful to understand what you do, it looks so effective, some of the best brickwork I have seen. 

Sorry to ask a supplementary question, but when you apply the white, do you rub that off straight after painting or do you allow it to go tacky first before doing so?

Thanks again for all for help, it is really appreciated! 

David

Hi David, yes I try and rub the paint off before it dries.  You can take more off later with a damp kitchen towel.

Here are some pictures of the whole building done before adding individual bricks.

Cheers Tim

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Aldgate Box Boy said:

Hi David, yes I try and rub the paint off before it dries.  You can take more off later with a damp kitchen towel.

Here are some pictures of the whole building done before adding individual bricks.

Cheers Tim

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much, that is really useful. It looks so effective, I am very impressed and am going to give the technique a go myself. 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

Keep up the good work!

David

Thanks David, it is quite easy - compared to painting rolling stock for example.

Here are the latest images. I am really impressed with the first two pictures, they really evoke the atmosphere I am trying to create. there is still a bit to do.  what you see is after most of the brick work has been done, the windows and glazing put in and the supports (in undercoat) in place.

cheers Tim

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Aldgate Box Boy said:

Thanks David, it is quite easy - compared to painting rolling stock for example.

Here are the latest images. I am really impressed with the first two pictures, they really evoke the atmosphere I am trying to create. there is still a bit to do.  what you see is after most of the brick work has been done, the windows and glazing put in and the supports (in undercoat) in place.

cheers Tim

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

Thanks again. That's absolutely cracking work, the individual buildings and overall scene have so much atmosphere and character. It is really coming on well. Highly impressive stuff!

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling

Cooperage Building

Hi All, thanks for the comments. I'm on a bit of a roll and decided to start on the next building along which will be the Cooperage. It will form a yard with the barrel wash building.  One side will be flat against the back, then a return out.  I'm experimenting with construction by using tenon/ mortise joints.  Basically I think this helps with stability. Here is the foam board shape showing the rough idea.

Cheers Tim 

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

• Like 7