Following on from my 'catching up' post on the previous page, there is one project immediately on the horizon - Despite not being finished in its own right, my converted Bachmann Rheneas is likely to very soon find itself used as a chassis donor for one of the excellent new Fourdees 3D prints for Dolgoch, the version I've chosen being the loco in her early-1950s condition. I may backdate this to an earlier condition, I'm just not sure which yet.

IMG_20230218_142136.jpg.04816d1937500c527c9c05b37ffc455e.jpgIMG_20230218_142358.jpg.a41eb34bd438a8c6560fbdf548712c56.jpg

Having also handled one of Fourdees' prints for No.4 I am amazed at the level of detail obtained in these predominantly one-piece prints. I can't wait to begin working on mine! And of course I couldn't resist popping up the line to take Dolgoch to Dolgoch.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

image.png.5985e22c772e658fd17b2fa652f87523.png

It's been a while since I tried any actual layout building, so decided to do a little test piece. First time I've successfully ballasted 9mm Gauge track and still been able to run trains afterwards!

My only worry is that since ballasting, the sections between the two points (both 'main' and 'loop') have apparently been suffering from some amount of voltage drop. This didn't appear to be an issue before ballasting. I suspect the issue is that I didn't notice the point at the right hand end being an Electrofrog and thus didn't insulate or wire it appropriately, but were this the case I wonder how the layout has been functioning at all, no dead shorts at all, and before ballasting it all appeared to run alright?

Still, the biggest success is that after ballasting the point blades still move reliably! That's an improvement on previous attempts.

image.png.c24250c17ce6c0478ae364714e0e4c9b.png

• Like 8

The voltage drop issue seems to be intermittent so I'm wondering if I just need to get the isopropyl out and give the point blades a deep clean. Shouldn't really rely on them anyway so I'll probably add a couple of extra feeds.

Last night was mostly spent adding couplings to various wagons and coaches in the hope I might actually get around to finishing a couple of them if they actually have the ability to run!

image.png.1564e96797f6a7df8b5c424aa0aa360b.png

image.png.b9b68310307d5887cdcea2fda891c8f2.png

image.png.825c2f48f6550611eb99686fba8aa477.png

image.png.1bb351f9d518474a98d91de12c049cc2.png

List of current 009 rolling stock projects -

- Crews, probably also weathering, for the two Penrhyn Hunslets and TR No.2. Thinking about Modelu but they are relatively expensive.

- Glazing and roof on the ex-Corris Railway coach, lining and lettering to follow when I find a source.

- New smokebox door, possibly new chimney and paint on No.2.

- Glazing, roof and lettering on TR Van No.5.

- Build up Meridian Kit for 1860s Condition TR Van No.5, or seek 3D Print of same.

- TR Brown Marshall Coach, probably Bachmann but possibly 3D Print or Meridian if found.

- Penrhyn slate wagons if anyone can actually suggest where I might find some! Merdian did them but they seem to be unavailable currently.

- Attempt to print cylinders for Corris Railway No.7 and aim to at least fit slidebars, crossheads and connecting rods. Pony truck also requires work. Maybe a Bachmann Peter Sam chassis might be a better bet, but possibly with the Meridian rods substituted.

• Like 8

A few little developments...

image.png.51421ab88355bd41dcbceb81c09d88a7.pngimage.png.3ad1e83f1dabecab8a38ad5732d926f6.png

Various bits I'm not too happy with, and a fairly long way to go, but she's not looking too bad.

image.png.5e1611e41639d2be888976b577eb2af3.png

Little bit of work done on the photo plank/test track too.

image.png.d8e51f819b47a0382e16908b48347bb2.png

image.png.cc5f244f9c69a42431d96b8a0a28151e.png

image.png.fb9a8e2b69a6b53e1861bb254f698a82.png

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/09/2023 at 00:25, sem34090 said:

Well, here we go again!

Wonder if this one will actually get somewhere near to completion... I hope so, it's certainly about time!!!

Hahahahahahaha... Well that went well!

Having laid the ballast on the layout back in September, it's less than a month since I actually glued it into place. Since then, um, things have changed again. 

As 2023 rolled into 2024 I was preparing to settle down into another year in Tywyn, hopefully less eventful and more stable than the last. The job wasn't paying especially well, but I could just about scrape by and on the plus side I was able to enjoy living in one of my favourite places, with my closest friends!

Then I applied for a job at Beamish museum. In County Durham. Well, I actually applied for about five jobs, but got interviewed for and subsequently offered a job as a "Bus & Tramway Engager" (what amounts to Bus & Tram Conductor with career progression to Driver) with better hours, better pay and (most importantly!) a better uniform than my current job was giving me. Kind of had to take that opportunity and... Yeah I think Welsh-based layout projects will have to take a back seat for the moment.

And of course, I'm definitely not looking at indulging my love of the North Eastern and of industrial railways at all...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about possible future modelling ideas, wondering what others' thoughts are, I was contemplating Beamish's Rowley Station setup as a prototype given it's effectively a 12ins to the foot scale model railway, complete with scenic breaks at each end! Not sure how operationally interesting it would be, however.

4578837461_5be992bc48_b.jpg

Would also be relatively easy to research given it's at my place of work! Very firmly pre-grouping in feel, but still with scope for running a variety of other things.

I did then also wonder whether the colliery railway and waggonway on site might also make for interesting prototypes to model - Again these are basically 12ins to the foot scale terminus to fiddleyard layouts, each with a loco shed and fairly simple track layouts.

Thoughts on these ideas gratefully accepted!!

• Like 6